How to add G9's Converter Setting to EXIF or Comments - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

How to add G9's Converter Setting to EXIF or Comments

• 5 Replies
How to add G9's Converter Setting to EXIF or Comments
« on: 30 / October / 2009, 17:40:02 »
Advertisements
Am using Canon G9 with Wide lens. Menu option is set for Converter >>> WC58C  (helps the IS do its job). But normal EXIF data never shows that a converter lens was used for the shot.

Is there a way to have CHDK get that property and either add it to Exif data or write it to the file Comments?

Thanks.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: How to add G9's Converter Setting to EXIF or Comments
« Reply #1 on: 31 / October / 2009, 06:34:31 »
Have you taken a look at Canon MakerNotes section of the tag? It could have what you are looking for.

CHDK can't currently add custom EXIF tags to JPEGs and we don't really know how to do that (probably not much effort has been put to it either, so I'm not saying it's impossible, but possibly a lot of work for a seasoned hacker).

CHDK DNG output on the other hand is completely in our hands, and DNG EXIF tags could be added by modifying CHDK source code (in your case an extra requirement is of course finding out a way to detect that lens setting, have a look at the propcase list in the wiki).

Also, it would be possible to output a log file with some info such as this whenever shooting. But that's a big complicated too since we aren't doing that yet and there's burst modes, movie etc to worry about.

In scripts writing this is to a log file is completely possible if you can find a propcase that has the required info.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #2 on: 31 / October / 2009, 09:35:00 »

Have you taken a look at Canon MakerNotes section of the tag? It could have what you are looking for.

Apparently, there is nothing on the metadata to tell if a converter was set. I took two pictures with the G9, one without converter and one with the WC58C and then exported all metadata to two files and compared them. There were no differences other than, file name, date, etc. Nothing about converters neither JPG or CR2 files.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #3 on: 31 / October / 2009, 12:02:39 »

Apparently, there is nothing on the metadata to tell if a converter was set. I took two pictures with the G9, one without converter and one with the WC58C and then exported all metadata to two files and compared them. There were no differences other than, file name, date, etc. Nothing about converters neither JPG or CR2 files.

And you of course had the menu option for that converter set correctly in each case? Does anyone else find this weird -- after all much of the usefulness of EXIF tags is to document optical characteristics for things like panorama processing?

« Reply #4 on: 31 / October / 2009, 23:30:01 »
Thanks fudgey and all for chiming in.

Does anyone else find this weird -- after all much of the usefulness of EXIF tags is to document optical characteristics
Absolutely, but it is not the end of the world.

Right now what I am doing is either taking a wasted photo of my hand holding whatever converter before  I put it on. Then when I review pics, I see the odd pic... as a clue to the changed lens.  Another alternative I use is to Record an audio comment to the first picture taken when mounting the Tele or Wide lens. While this is a great little feature, it is not 'visible' information when reviewing the folder.

Of course this takes some discipline to remember to do this... and it is not immediately obvious when reviewing images.

All that said.... I have trouble just remembering to change the menu setting when I have added the Tele- or Wide-.

I do not expect to add this to any wish-list or add burden to the CHDK developers/contributors. It does not add anything to the capacity to take photos. It is just a convenience to learning the camera.

« Reply #5 on: 01 / November / 2009, 06:26:11 »
It will take me awhile to search and read more about Maker Notes. I see Wontolla has run a test...

there is nothing on the metadata to tell if a converter was set. I took two pictures with the G9, one without converter and one with the WC58C and then exported all metadata to two files and compared them
W, thanks for running that. I do not have extensive image-editing tools. Canon's own ZoomBrowser sftw does show more fields of info than the exif I see in IrfanView. But as you've verified... missing that converter setting.