Need Help with camera stuck in ***Autostart*** - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Need Help with camera stuck in ***Autostart***

• 6 Replies

Offline tkeeg

Need Help with camera stuck in ***Autostart***
« on: 01 / November / 2009, 12:58:17 »
Advertisements
Hello everyone,

I just recently learned about this CHDK site, and I am new to this forum.  I just purchase a Canon Power Shot SX200 IS and successfully partitioned my 8GB SDHC card and downloaded the CHDK program.  Everything was working fine and as I was going through the instructions and modifying certain camera setting, then I decided to try and load a script.  I copied it from the CHDK site and pasted it into the CHDK/Scripts folder on my SD card.  When I went to the menu to try & load it into the camera memory, I didn't see any scripts names loaded into the script folder.  At this point my finger slipped and accidently selected one of the other folders in the CHDK folder.  I did not know how to undo that action so I hit the ALT button and turned the camera off.  Now, every time that I start the camera, ***Autostart*** is displayed on the screen and none of the buttons on the camera will work.  I have tried everything to get back into the CHDK/Camera menu but nothing works.  I have spent hours & hours reading through everything on the CHDK website, but still cannot find the answer.  Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tom

Re: Need Help with camera stuck in ***Autostart***
« Reply #1 on: 01 / November / 2009, 14:31:32 »
Hi Tom.

Just delete the .CFG file in the CHDK folder.
That contains the CHDK settings that were active when you turned the camera off.
One of them was setting a script to autostart on power-up.

David

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 01 / November / 2009, 15:36:29 »
Davids suggestion is good.

For future reference, pressing the shutter button should interrupt any running script. From there you should be able to get into the CHDK menu and disable autostart.

CHDK has a built in default script, so even if you don't have one selected I guess that would still autostart.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline tkeeg

« Reply #3 on: 01 / November / 2009, 18:35:33 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 01 / November / 2009, 19:21:14 »
Thank you very much for your replies.  I tried your suggestions and still nothing works.  There was no .GFC file anywhere in the download from the CHDK Download page.
It's not in the download, it is created by CHDK when it runs.
  I tried everything and even deleted everything on the SD card except for the DiskBoot.Bin file and still, when I turn the camera on(Via the Play Button), the Canon Splash Page shows in the LED Screen along with the word ***Autostart***.
Clearly you did not, because the CHDK CFG (called CCHDK.CFG) file is stored in the CHDK folder. If this file is not present, the default settings are used, and the default settings do not include autostarting any script.

If you are using a multi-partition card, it may not be visible. In that case the simplest solution is probably to start over, by formatting the card in the camera. As long as you unlock the card, CHDK will not boot, so you should have no trouble formatting the card.
This displays for about 12 seconds, then the camera turns itself off.   Pressing the shutter button does nothing.  The shutter button feels like it would if the camera was turned completely off.
The shutter button always feels the same, it's an input only. If you fully press the shutter when the a script is running, the script will be interrupted. However, if you selected a random unknown script, it could crash your camera before that happens. What you describe (the camera shutting down after a few seconds) is the camera crashing.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline tkeeg

« Reply #5 on: 01 / November / 2009, 20:57:49 »
Reyalp,
Thanks a lot for your response; I learned a few new things from you tonight.
I did check all of the files on my SD card and there was no file with a .CFG extension that was visible.
I'll follow your advice and start over by reformatting both partitions on the card and reloading the CHDK software on it.  Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Thanks again,
Tom

Offline tkeeg

« Reply #6 on: 01 / November / 2009, 23:43:39 »
Hello Reyalp & David,

I just wanted to let you know that reformatting & partitioning the SD card again, took care of my problem.  When I reloaded the CHDK software everything is working properly again!

Thanks,
Tom