S90 Porting Thread - page 23 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

S90 Porting Thread

• 397 Replies

Offline ERR99

Re: S90 Porting Thread
« Reply #220 on: 19 / April / 2010, 17:18:33 »
Advertisements
Zooming should work, if you are using the latest build (V3). A normal behaviour is, when you are zooming back from digitalzoom, that zooming stops at 3.8X magnification (thats the border between digital/optical zoom). Simply release then the zoom key, and zoom then (using the same zoom key) again.

For AF in moviemode, you have to assign a AF-Key under "Video Parameters"->"AF Key" options (assign to SHUTTER of SET button).
An make sure that you are not in ALT mode if you are pressing the SHUTTER / SET button to refocus.

« Reply #221 on: 19 / April / 2010, 17:23:33 »
I will test that. I did have the AF key set to Shutter and I am sure I released the zoom out when digital zoom reached the point it hit optical zoom and then would not zoom back from there. Will retest though to make sure.

Also another issue wuth 4GB> cards.

If you take the card out and try to read it in a card reader it will only shows the furst partition so in order to extract the photos and videos you have to use SDM to swap the partitions, take it out, reinsert, copy of the files, swap partition and then put it back in the camera. PAIN!

That is a Windows limitation though (Oh God MS you suck!).

So the only other alternative is to use smaller SD cards or use a USB cable from the camera :(

Offline ERR99

« Reply #222 on: 19 / April / 2010, 17:31:45 »
I retested AF and Zoom function and it works fine on my camera. Also some other s90 chdk user reported that it is working, so i am pretty sure you will also get it work. :)

You can also swap the partitions without windows/pc. Check the CHDK menu "Miscellaneous stuff". There is a option "Swap partitions" which will to the job. If you have partition 2 activ (the one with the pictures), chdk will of course not autoboot. Simply copy also the PS.FI2 build of chdk to the second partition. So if you start with the 2nd partition, you can use the Firmwareboot method to start CHDK, and swap then the Partitions back.

« Reply #223 on: 19 / April / 2010, 17:34:19 »
Hmm. I swear I had digital zoom with video recording. Maybe I am mistaken as it only appears as an option in the S90 menu using fully auto. Also AF whilst 'recording' video does not work no matter if a key is assigned (Shutter or set).

Just to make sure you understand. I would like to be able to AF whilst recording 'video'. AF and zoom for still photos works fine.

Also of note. If oyu enabled RAW in CHKDK it will say RAW is disabled whilst in photo modes. It does not matter since the RAW setting of the S90 overrides that setting it would seem but you won't get a DNG file. I think there are a lot of bugs to work through but this is a beta test version after all ;)

Swap partitions in the CHKDK menu does not work either. It says it only has one partition.

Oops! My bad. I had the 2GB card in not the 16GB. Ignore that last one ;)
« Last Edit: 19 / April / 2010, 17:40:45 by deadman »

« Reply #224 on: 19 / April / 2010, 17:49:16 »
I retested AF and Zoom function and it works fine on my camera. Also some other s90 chdk user reported that it is working, so i am pretty sure you will also get it work. :)

You can also swap the partitions without windows/pc. Check the CHDK menu "Miscellaneous stuff". There is a option "Swap partitions" which will to the job. If you have partition 2 activ (the one with the pictures), chdk will of course not autoboot. Simply copy also the PS.FI2 build of chdk to the second partition. So if you start with the 2nd partition, you can use the Firmwareboot method to start CHDK, and swap then the Partitions back.

If you have swapped the partition in camera it will not boot. You cannot have two boot partitions. So I would still have to use SDM to swap it back once read in the reader. Bit of a pain really but hey.

The other thing that is bothering me is that when you turn the S90 on it immediately goes to the CHKDK mode (Photo browsing mode). For speed in order to take a photo from startup it should go straight to camera mode. Not CHKDK. Pretty much every photographer wants to go stright to taking a photo. Unless there is an option I am missing?

Offline ERR99

« Reply #225 on: 19 / April / 2010, 17:51:40 »
Which Firmware version do you have? I ask because i cant test other fw versions then 101a. You are the first one who reports serious problems with the current build.

The RAW disabled message occurs if you have canon RAW enabled, because its useless to shot canon AND chdk raw (saving to sd-card takes ages...) . So set back the camera to JPEG only shooting, then you can get CHDK RAWs (no DNGs).

« Reply #226 on: 19 / April / 2010, 17:56:35 »
Sorry 101c v3. I am gonna hold off using CHKDK for a while until it matures a bit. I was just curious to see how progress was going and reporting back on a few things I noticed. Sorry if I don't feel like being a 'proper' beta tester :D

Nice work though I am well impressed. We need time lapse! Longer exposures (Dangerous in the sun lol) etc ;)
« Last Edit: 19 / April / 2010, 17:59:14 by deadman »

Offline ERR99

« Reply #227 on: 19 / April / 2010, 18:02:23 »
If you have swapped the partition in camera it will not boot. You cannot have two boot partitions. So I would still have to use SDM to swap it back once read in the reader. Bit of a pain really but hey.

The other thing that is bothering me is that when you turn the S90 on it immediately goes to the CHKDK mode (Photo browsing mode). For speed in order to take a photo from startup it should go straight to camera mode. Not CHKDK. Pretty much every photographer wants to go stright to taking a photo. Unless there is an option I am missing?

Of course you can boot CHDK on the S90 from the second partition, thats what i have written allready in my previous post. You have to use the manual PS.FI2 firmware boot methode (and not the diskboot.bin/autoboot) to start CHDK from the "big" (non boot) partition. Check the CHDK FAQ/Wiki to learn more about the firmware boot methode.

Starting into playmode is standard chdk behaviour. Simply hold the ON/OFF button until camera starts direct in to SHOOTING mode.

« Reply #228 on: 19 / April / 2010, 18:08:53 »
Thanks for the info. I will play some more some other time. Right now most of the functions are not what I expected or need right now. There are some functions like time lapse ect I am waiting (Hoping) for and AF whilst zooming and recording video if possible would be nice. Sorry if I do not reply after this post for a while. I will catchup in a few weeks time probably.

Offline ERR99

« Reply #229 on: 19 / April / 2010, 18:14:02 »
Could please also other users of the V3 build 100c and 101c build test, if AF-scan and optical zoom in moviemode is working properly?