Cannon A470 CHDK Conversion - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Cannon A470 CHDK Conversion

• 3 Replies
Cannon A470 CHDK Conversion
« on: 10 / December / 2009, 11:30:47 »
Advertisements

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Cannon A470 CHDK Conversion
« Reply #1 on: 10 / December / 2009, 11:47:32 »
Hello & welcome, Rex92 !

You should read a bit in the CHDK wikia FAQ, especially this section: When i switch off my camera ....

Here you'll find the CHDK manual/guidance: CHDK User Manual.

(...small hint: the SD card must be CHDK bootable & locked, with the diskboot.bin file in the root folder)

« Reply #2 on: 13 / December / 2009, 20:23:57 »
Ok so I have read up more like fe50 recommended and I found that I need to make two partitions since I am using a 8 gb memory card. So I followed the steps as written in the Bootable SD Card (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card)instructions for windows case #4 but when I completed the final step the camera still loaded with the Cannon OS rather than the CHDK. In other words it didn't work and I still have to manually load up the CHDK OS. I don't know what else to do.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #3 on: 14 / December / 2009, 06:27:47 »
To debug the situation, do the following:

- put the card in your card reader and open 'My Computer', and select your card
- right click, choose properties; look at 'File System' and 'Capacity'

- if it is the small partition, it should say FAT (or FAT16) and capacity should be ~ 2 M
     in this case, something has gone wrong making the small partition bootable;
     you can correct this with CardTricks (see my sig): unlock card, put in reader,
     start the program and select the card's drive letter. You will then see the
     partition's properties (file system, size, etc) If it is properly formatted as
     FAT you can use the button 'Make Bootable'. When done, don't forget
     to re-lock the card and it should work

- if it is the large partition, it will have 'FAT32' and  7 GB +
     in this case, you probably forgot to swap back to the small partition;
     put the card back in the camera, start CHDK and do another 'Swap Partitions'

hope that helps,

wim

PS If it still doesn't work, please give us more details