TortoiseSVN and DIFF file Viewer - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

TortoiseSVN and DIFF file Viewer

• 8 Replies
TortoiseSVN and DIFF file Viewer
« on: 17 / December / 2009, 08:04:56 »
Advertisements
I am playing with TortoiseSVN and it seems OK so far.
I commited yesterday's code so now all the folders and files have the green tick icon.

It seems that you cannot compare the entire project with previous version, just file-by-file.

If I set the programme 'ProjectDiff' as my viewer, it simply displays a current, single file.

How can I setup TortoiseSVN or ProjectDiff to show changes to an entire project ?

As the previous version does not exist as discrete files, I do not see how ProjectDiff can be used.

Maybe there are other tools.

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
Re: TortoiseSVN and DIFF file Viewer
« Reply #1 on: 17 / December / 2009, 08:25:39 »
winmerge (a tool for windows) can compare directories, and all files contained within. it shows which files changed and which didn't. you can then doubleclick a file in the list to view differences.

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #2 on: 17 / December / 2009, 08:27:21 »
How can I setup TortoiseSVN or ProjectDiff to show changes to an entire project ?

"Check for modifications" in TortoiseSVN?

« Reply #3 on: 17 / December / 2009, 13:23:50 »
winmerge (a tool for windows) can compare directories, and all files contained within. it shows which files changed and which didn't. you can then doubleclick a file in the list to view differences.

Thanks, I will check that out.

"Check for modifications" in TortoiseSVN?

If I right-click  and select 'Show Log' that lists the revisions.
(revision 2 was the initial commit).

Clicking on revision 3 gives list of modified files and you can then double-click on a selected file.

The file and the previous revision is then opened with WinMerge (which even shows the position of the changes in two narrow windows on the left).

Nice solution, thanks.

« Last Edit: 17 / December / 2009, 13:42:39 by Microfunguy »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 17 / December / 2009, 15:55:25 »
The file and the previous revision is then opened with WinMerge (which even shows the position of the changes in two narrow windows on the left).
Tortoise built in diff/merge tool will also do this. Another way see the changes is "show changes a unified diff"

IMO, time spent learning to use SVN pay itself back many times over later :)

Another useful thing, if you are going between two different repositories (e.g. CHDK trunk and SDM) is svn export. This makes a copy without any of the .svn stuff in it. If you want to merge some changes, you can then just drop the exported files into a working copy from the other repo, and use the diff tool to select which elements from each file you want.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
« Reply #5 on: 17 / December / 2009, 16:00:45 »
There's also KDiff3 (multi-platform, KDE/Qt, Windows Explorer integration...).
Used to use it with TortoiseSVN.

edit: Still use it. ;)
« Last Edit: 17 / December / 2009, 16:02:21 by Jucifer »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #6 on: 17 / December / 2009, 17:26:46 »
There's also KDiff3 (multi-platform, KDE/Qt, Windows Explorer integration...).
edit: Still use it. ;)

Yeah,
a great tool, can also compare folders and complete source trees, with a powerful three-way compare/merge feature, sometimes also helpful with binary files...

« Reply #7 on: 17 / December / 2009, 18:35:08 »
Used to use it with TortoiseSVN.

So, it will compare current working copy with previous revision, it does not need two actual sets of files  ?

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
« Reply #8 on: 19 / December / 2009, 17:14:04 »
Current revision is stored under those .svn directories. There has to be something to compare to.