how to make a sound activated trigger for G9? - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

how to make a sound activated trigger for G9?

• 11 Replies
how to make a sound activated trigger for G9?
« on: 17 / December / 2009, 10:47:04 »
Advertisements
I have found a trigger circuit with a laserbeam from a laserpointer, but I want a circuit that triggers the camera via sound. I was once up on a time quite good making electronic circuits, but the knowledge has escaped my brain... I can't find a way to make a circuit that works....

Please, if there is a electronics guru somewhere that can help me! HELP! :)

Re: how to make a sound activated trigger for G9?
« Reply #1 on: 17 / December / 2009, 15:20:15 »
You can buy a microphone sensor from the shop associated with this open-source project :-

http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=325

You can also buy a complete kit of parts, build it yourself or maybe just build the sensor-interfacing part.

« Reply #2 on: 03 / January / 2010, 21:35:12 »
I found this a while ago when I was looking into high speed photography, it looks like it could very easily be used, just substituting the usb cable where the LED goes, test the voltage first though.
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_sound_trigger_for_sigma_ef_500_flash

« Reply #3 on: 06 / January / 2010, 13:11:42 »
I found this a while ago when I was looking into high speed photography, it looks like it could very easily be used, just substituting the usb cable where the LED goes, test the voltage first though.
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_sound_trigger_for_sigma_ef_500_flash

So simple to build, and so litte brain for figure it out... I have over 6 years with electronic education, and I can't make such a simple circuit.... I should return my brain for service...

Thanks Hyphen, this I can work with. Should not be a problem to make a 5V signal instead of the LED using a optocoupler or a voltage regulator. Adding the delay circuit posted on that page, and the circuit I need is born!

-Kjell

« Reply #4 on: 31 / January / 2010, 12:54:52 »
I am working on this project now too, if you have any insights or tips please let me know!

« Reply #5 on: 01 / February / 2010, 06:34:58 »
I've built the circuit and connected the USB cabels over the LED but that gives me problem to activate the camera (A710 IS).
So some modification seems to be needed.
I'll try to replace the led with an optocoupler or an op amp to see if that does the trick.
Has anyone here made it work?
If so, how did you do?
« Last Edit: 01 / February / 2010, 07:46:59 by chdk4ever »

« Reply #6 on: 04 / February / 2010, 12:31:20 »
I replaced the LED int the circuit with a slotted optical switch and then it work perfectly for CHDK.
Before that I tried an opamp solution and a opto soupler but had problem to get enough dip.
Not sure why but perhaps the cameras internal resistance (~22K ohm) caused those problems.
The solution with a slotted optical switch worked directly without any extra components.
The switch I used was an old one ripped from a broken photocopier so I had to remove the case to reverse enginere the pin layout.

« Reply #7 on: 05 / February / 2010, 22:31:34 »
Cool, thanks.

« Reply #8 on: 06 / February / 2010, 13:31:42 »
I forgot that I also replaced the 1M resistor with a 10K to get correct levels. I'm using a 5 V power source.
If you use a optocoupler you need to adjust the levels after the coupler in the same way.  
« Last Edit: 09 / February / 2010, 01:57:16 by chdk4ever »

Offline Mac

« Reply #9 on: 06 / February / 2010, 18:34:32 »
A little off topic but has anyone tried to make a Canon remote trigger from a key finder?