menu shortcuts (from barberofcivils patch post) - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

menu shortcuts (from barberofcivils patch post)

• 2 Replies

Offline reyalp

menu shortcuts (from barberofcivils patch post)
« on: 19 / December / 2009, 20:28:49 »
Advertisements
I did some cleaning up and fixing of some of the menu operation.
The zoom in/zoom out button could be used to alter the step size for MENUITEM_INT items.
The zoom in/out could also be held to control step size for both MENUITEM_INT and MENUITEM_ENUM items, but this was in conflict with the above operation, so I removed and modified.

zoom in/zoom out increases/decreases the step size: 1,10,100,1000,10000 for MENUITEM_INT, 1,3,9,27,81 for MENUITEM_ENUM.
I also extended the DISPLAY usage to all cameras.  Now it alters the step size as per zoom out for both and recycles back to 1 at the top, so this can be used for cams without zoom button (I figured it may as well also extend to cams with zoom as well).
The step values are saved, so they don't reset back to 1 when moving around in the menu.
I also found the display of the step size at the top was inconsistent.  it wouldn't clear itself when moving from item to item even though it had been changed.  There were also some other display issues with it.   Now it displays permanently and displays the stem to reflect the menuitem type (int or enum, for others it is blank).
The half-shoot was also used to be held for step size alteration.  I modified it so it is a toggle (for all cams) that alters the step size by a factor of 1 or 2.  it also updates the step size display above to reflect this change.
There were some other minor cleanup issues I did as well.
Please have a look at it and see if it is acceptable to be commited or if some alterations may be required.

*EDIT*
1. Slight error in the patch, I had one line from another item I was working on that would make it not work.

2. Made another addition to the menu operation.  On the MISC tab there is now an item to select "Jogdial action".  You can choose "KEY_U/D" (default) which is the previous operation, jogdial moves up/down menu items.  Or you can select "KEY_L/R" and the jogdial will change values like the LEFT/RIGHT KEY operation. This have been enclosed with "#if CAM_HAS_JOGDIAL" so it's only included on cams with jogdials.  State is also saved to config file.

Some comments on the patch
DISP on cameras with a zoom lever takes you back a menu level, and unless I'm missing something, your patch breaks this. What's left only deals with user menu editing. I assume using DISP to change the increment was a hack for cams without a zoom lever, there really isn't a need for 2 different shortcuts. If there are cams that have a jogdial but not a zoom lever, we could use that to do step size (since it's function is currently redundant). Note also that some cameras don't have a DISP button (not sure if any lack both zoom lever and DISP)

The whole increment thing is a bit confused in the original, it looks like a couple different shortcut systems were merged without much thought about how they interact or whether they were all needed. For enums, this was just cosmetic since the int_incr wasn't applied to them. (edit: svn blame gives some insight into the history)

I'm not sure saving the increment value between menu items is desirable. If you are adjusting multiple different fields in a single menu (which seems like the most common case to me), it's not likely to be helpful. Remembering it per menu item might be slightly useful, but I doubt it's worth the overhead.

If I understand correctly, the increment value being displayed after you switched to a new item was just a screen update issue. This should be fixed, since it is definitely confusing.

With the adjustable increment, are the half press shortcuts really needed ? The current zoom shortcut with enum also seems redundant with the half press shortcut (it does go to 6 instead of 3, but there's very few enums large enough to warrant that).

If you are going save the incr values for both ints and enums, I suggest two different variables, int_incr and enum_incr.

Is the jogdial alternate action useful enough to merit a conf entry ? I'm happy to add it if is, but otherwise I'd rather avoid the proliferation of redundant shortcuts. I don't have a jogdial camera right now, so I don't really know.

Before committing this, the DISP issue has to be resolved at a minimum, but I'd also like to get some feedback on how people think the shortcuts should work, and make them as simple and consistent as possible.
« Last Edit: 19 / December / 2009, 20:54:59 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: menu shortcuts (from barberofcivils patch post)
« Reply #1 on: 19 / December / 2009, 23:36:30 »
I did get a little carried away with my alterations and there are still a few things I'd like to clean up/add.

Some comments on the patch
DISP on cameras with a zoom lever takes you back a menu level, and unless I'm missing something, your patch breaks this. What's left only deals with user menu editing. I assume using DISP to change the increment was a hack for cams without a zoom lever, there really isn't a need for 2 different shortcuts. If there are cams that have a jogdial but not a zoom lever, we could use that to do step size (since it's function is currently redundant). Note also that some cameras don't have a DISP button (not sure if any lack both zoom lever and DISP)
I didn't notice the alternat function for the DISP key.  I just figured since it was used for non-zoom lever cameras, it may as well be extended to for all.  But if it does have an alternate function, then we probably shouldn't break it.  I'll have to have a look again.

The whole increment thing is a bit confused in the original, it looks like a couple different shortcut systems were merged without much thought about how they interact or whether they were all needed. For enums, this was just cosmetic since the int_incr wasn't applied to them. (edit: svn blame gives some insight into the history)

I'm not sure saving the increment value between menu items is desirable. If you are adjusting multiple different fields in a single menu (which seems like the most common case to me), it's not likely to be helpful. Remembering it per menu item might be slightly useful, but I doubt it's worth the overhead.
Perhaps it isn't useful to save between menu items.  There was just one particular item that I'm currently working on where it may be, but I can see where it can be confusing for a lot of the current menu set ups.

If I understand correctly, the increment value being displayed after you switched to a new item was just a screen update issue. This should be fixed, since it is definitely confusing.
Yes it was a display issue.  To fix cleanly would simply require a full screen redraw at each increment, but I don't know how much this would interfere with refresh, espescially on older, slower cams.  I do like having the increment displayed, even if it is set to 1.

With the adjustable increment, are the half press shortcuts really needed ? The current zoom shortcut with enum also seems redundant with the half press shortcut (it does go to 6 instead of 3, but there's very few enums large enough to warrant that).
No, I think they are unnecessary and can likely be removed.   I believe the enum increment goes in 3s mainly for shutter/av adjustment so it can be stepped in full EV intervals.  I would rather have it the way I've fixed it (the way it is for INT items) where it is a set increment rather than a key hold.

If you are going save the incr values for both ints and enums, I suggest two different variables, int_incr and enum_incr.
Yes simple enough, just thought it may have been easier to implement as an array.

Is the jogdial alternate action useful enough to merit a conf entry ? I'm happy to add it if is, but otherwise I'd rather avoid the proliferation of redundant shortcuts. I don't have a jogdial camera right now, so I don't really know.
I do think that it may be useful for the jogdial setting.  I did wish it operated that way before (left/right operation rather than up/down) at least this way the user can choose.  If it is useful, then it definitely should have a conf entry as you would want it to be persistent on restart.

Before committing this, the DISP issue has to be resolved at a minimum, but I'd also like to get some feedback on how people think the shortcuts should work, and make them as simple and consistent as possible.
I will have a bit more of look at it as well as some other itmes (e.g. the battery display volts/percent toggle could be moved to a single 3-way enum rather than 2 separate interlinked booleans)

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: menu shortcuts (from barberofcivils patch post)
« Reply #2 on: 20 / December / 2009, 07:20:17 »
@reyalP & barberofcivil

I don't own a camera without DISP key; the current shortcuts works fine for my IXUS series cams (SD400 and SD870) and also for my SX10.

a) I often use the DISP key for navigation in the menu, imo we shouldn't change this.
b) Saving the increments: imo not helpful, at least for me since i often jump between settings