A480 Porting - page 4 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

A480 Porting

• 75 Replies
Re: A480 Porting
« Reply #30 on: 18 / March / 2010, 16:52:57 »
Advertisements
Hi,

This is my first time trying to do this to my camera.  I have the canon a480.  i downloaded the a480-100b-test2.zip file, extracted it.  put it in the root on my flash card.  i put it back in the camera, turned it on, and tried pressing the mode button.  And nothing different happened...

am i doing anything wrong, did i miss any steps?   any help would be appreciated.

i have a 128meg and 8gb sandisk  shhc card..

« Reply #31 on: 18 / March / 2010, 17:49:34 »
@pstarmach: read the article:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_do_I_get_CHDK_onto_my_camera.27s_SD_memory_card.3F

I extracted what is necessary

The methods presented above require cards to be formatted using the FAT16 file system, which is limited to a maximum of 4 GB. Some cameras support the new SDHC (SD High Capacity) flash cards, which can go over 4 GB.

If you have a card larger than 4 GB, the solution is to create two partitions on your card: a small FAT16 partition, and a larger FAT32 partition. (The FAT16 partition can be very small, like 2 MB, and must be the first partition on the card.) You would then install the CHDK boot files (DISKBOOT.BIN and possibly PS.FIR) on the FAT16 partition, and everything else on the FAT32 one.

When using this system, CHDK will start from the FAT16 part of the card. It will then automatically detect the larger FAT32 partition, and "switch over" to use that one. All images, movies, etc. will be stored on the large partition, and all CHDK scripts and data files will be read from there. (The smaller partition cannot be accessed once CHDK is loaded, so don't put any scripts or other files you want to use on it!)

@ewavr: - you mean showing DNG via USB is non-implementable or rather not-yet-implemented?
« Last Edit: 18 / March / 2010, 17:57:13 by amras »

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #32 on: 18 / March / 2010, 18:57:34 »
showing DNG via USB is non-implementable or rather not-yet-implemented?
Non-implementable (at least for current implementation).

« Reply #33 on: 20 / March / 2010, 01:11:27 »
@ ewavr, you are a legend, thankyou muchly for your work, my a480 is so much better now.

« Reply #34 on: 24 / March / 2010, 09:59:22 »
Thanks for the port. This is my first camera with chdk. I actually bought this cheapie a480 to learn how to port, but you beat me to it. I've tried grabbing your source, but the link fails.
Next is my S90, then my wifes 5DmII.

What is needed to make this a full release?
 I've tried some extreme exposue times, they work, but the meta data only shows 15".
The lowest ISO is reported back as 10 (when set to 1).

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #35 on: 28 / March / 2010, 19:49:27 »
CHDK for A480 1.00B now available on autobuild server.

« Reply #36 on: 29 / March / 2010, 14:19:31 »
Hi Guys!
 I've got my a480 installed with CHDK and its running.  So far so good.. shutterspeed override was fine, RAW, EV and manual flash settings are good, as well as bracketing and live histogram view. Wil check again the other settings later.

I just don't know if you notice this with the a480 upgrade, when you shoot in raw, can you view the file .CR2 in programs such as Adobe photoshop or lightroom?   I think I'm having a problem viewing/opening the .CR2 file in my computer.  I've downloaded every single ACR updates but still doesn't work. I try converting them into DNG file and still it doesn't work too.  But, I try opening a raw file (.CR2) straight from Canon EOS 1000d to lightroom 2.5 and it works.

Is it the program alone or the settings in my camera that causes the problem? any idea?

there is a settings in RAW parameters that says:  RAW file prefix and RAW file Extension, the other one  is RAW subtraction prefix and RAW subtraction file extension. what does this mean?

Any solution would be deeply appreciated :) Thank you very much.

oh BTW, thanks ewavr for the hardwork. You've got my a480 running on steroids!.  :)

« Reply #37 on: 01 / April / 2010, 15:41:18 »
Hello ewavr !
I am new and from Norway and I get my A480 next week.
Can this camera take timelapse and HDR pictures, if it can, what scripts can I use?
If there is anything I can do to help just mail/reply me ;-)

Br,
Hamak
Norway

CHDK for A480 1.00B now available on autobuild server.

« Reply #38 on: 02 / April / 2010, 08:27:56 »
Can this camera take timelapse and HDR pictures, if it can, what scripts can I use?
It can do bracketing and save RAW files. Converting to HDR remains to your PC.
At http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts#Scripts you can choose timelapse/intervalometer script that suits your needs.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #39 on: 02 / April / 2010, 12:31:06 »
when you shoot in raw, can you view the file .CR2 in programs such as Adobe photoshop or lightroom?
CHDK RAW is just an unmodified sensor data dump, only a few apps are able to work directly with this, Adobe apps will never do. The A480 port is brand-new, it will need some time for developers to support the A480 RAWs directly; DCRAW would be one of the first, also RawTherapee --> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Software

For more informations, read the sticky threads in the RAW section...

--> Use the DNG format instead, most apps (also Adobe ones) will work with it.
--> Enable DNG support guidance

The prefix/extension doesn't influence the RAW image data; these settings are for file naming purposes only, for some cameras you can also adjust the naming scheme to transfer the RAW images with a USB connection.