Fast MD with burst/preview mode - page 23 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

Fast MD with burst/preview mode

• 232 Replies
Re: Fast MD with burst/preview mode
« Reply #220 on: 07 / November / 2011, 16:51:42 »
Advertisements
Thanks I wish I knew how   :)
What do you want it to do differently?
« Last Edit: 07 / November / 2011, 16:54:17 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #221 on: 07 / November / 2011, 17:55:10 »
No it was just curiosity if there was any updated version  I am totally new in all this and so far having a riot

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #222 on: 06 / December / 2011, 15:03:18 »
...if it ain't broken...  :P

« Reply #223 on: 18 / February / 2012, 19:50:24 »
So I finally did some motion detection script work today and got a few errors. By few I mean about 12 in a 1 hour period.

I got three types of errors. One that said
"A camera error was detected
will shut down automatically
restart camera
E16"

I also got the same message with and E26 and a few times the camera just shut down with no error reported.

This is not the first script to give me errors, but I have found alternative scripts that do work. Sorry Fudgey, but yours is the best!

Running camera firmware 101e, with chdk 101c. Not sure if this is just a script error or if it is because of it not being properly ported. Last official port was for 101c. I got the error in high speed burst mode, P mode both burst and single shot, and with multiple changes to the script as far as columns, rows, and sensitivity.

Anything I can do to help diagnose from my end? Willing to do anything needed to get this script working.

« Reply #224 on: 23 / February / 2012, 18:43:06 »
Is there a version of this script that will work with the SX230? I tried using the one from my SD1100 and it doesn't work on the SX230. I love this script so I'm hoping to find a version for my new camera!

Edit: Nevermind, I found the script version for cameras with a video button and it seems to work great. This is by far my favorite script and my main reason for installing the chdk, so kudos. It is working perfectly for photos.
« Last Edit: 24 / February / 2012, 10:25:43 by CanonBlue »
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

« Reply #225 on: 24 / February / 2012, 14:18:24 »
I'm not sure if this is an issue with the script or just the camera itself, but I'm reporting it here just in case: I've been testing by dropping objects in front of both cameras, and I've established that the SX230 triggers noticeably more slowly than the SD1100. Since the scripts are slightly different, I suppose it could be the script, and I'm hoping it can be improved. But if its just a built in limitation of the camera, then I guess its disappointing but still good to know about it. I am planning to try to test it in more detail, but its clear that there's a difference, and I'm surprised that the new camera is the worse one.
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

« Reply #226 on: 24 / February / 2012, 14:27:55 »
In my testing with the sx230hs, I got an average of 150ms from detection to picture. I used a motion detect program and did many dozens of tests. Fastest was .099 ms slowest was closer to 250ms. 

My problem was taking pictures in real life. I was taking pictures of some friends and it took between 1-2.5 seconds to cycle from 1 picture taken to the next. Way too slow for my needs. And that was with and without chdk loaded. I eventually returned my camera and got a Canon t2i slr instead.

Magic lantern (based off chdk) is supported, so I still get the motion detection etc.

Good luck with getting chdk and scripts to work properly. The sx230 really failed me in almost every way. Not a chdk problem, just the camera itself wasn't that great.

« Reply #227 on: 24 / February / 2012, 14:34:34 »
What motion detect program did you use to test it? I'd like to test both of my cameras and compare.

I'm quite happy with the SX230 so far, and if this script turns out to be too slow for lightning I can probably still get lightning photos by using an intervelometer or similar. Of course, you moved up to a DSLR and are comparing to that; I am comparing to an even older and smaller point and shoot. But I made the decision that I wanted a camera that would fit in a pocket, and the SX230 is pretty powerful for that range.
My Flickr Page

« Reply #228 on: 24 / February / 2012, 14:45:01 »
I used "Motion Test" I can't remember where I got it, but I know there is a website linked her somewhere that works just as well. I did notice I got a consistant 250ms using the website but 150 ms using the program.

Still, using the test you should be able to compare speed between the 2. Just make sure to test your inter. script before the storm comes out. I noticed on my sx230,  none of the inter. scripts worked. I actually found one off the german board that worked great and had the long shutter speed built in for lightning captures like you are looking for.

And I realize a slr is in a completly different ballpark than chdk. My problems had more to do with the camera than chdk. just pointed out the camera I got to replace the sx230 was still hackable. 

« Reply #229 on: 11 / June / 2013, 06:55:52 »
Nice script!

Unless I missed something how do I measure response time?