Fast MD with burst/preview mode - page 4 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

Fast MD with burst/preview mode

• 232 Replies

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Fast MD with burst/preview mode
« Reply #30 on: 08 / May / 2008, 17:45:40 »
Advertisements
First, you must use the slow react mode, the fast will not focus at all. If you are already using slow react shooting mode (and your camera indeed does focus with this script; have you tested e.g. by placing your hand at different distances?), the script is probably already doing all it can to focus and you can safely blame your camera for focusing on something stable instead of the moving target. ;)

That said, you could try shooting in burst mode combined with focus bracketing (set up the bracketing in CHDK menus as you would without the motion detector), you'll end up with more shots but with at least a part of them somewhat in focus. Also, you should probably use high Av to increase depth of the focused field. Arranging the background so that there are less objects the camera might like to focus other than the birds could help if it's possible.

Oh and if you really are convinced that the camera always tends to focus in the middle, you could set the mask so that it's only sensitive to motion in the middle... but I bet the camera will then focus to a corner just to bug you. :P

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #31 on: 09 / May / 2008, 03:14:09 »
Hej,
Yes slow mode and yes it does focus... But in the middle.
I have to use the lowest Av (2.6) because otherwise I get to slow shutter speed... Anyway the DOF difference isn't big enough to get the focus right from the bird 15-20 cm from the cam to the wall 60cm behind or the plants 1 meter behind :/

I think you're right when you say I have to blame my cam, but I feel stupid cause in auto mode it seems to search from the "subject" to focus on (the square moving), and in manual modes it seems to focus in the middle always. :/

I have a few pics when the focus isn't in the middle but I can't seems to understand how my cam works there :/

« Reply #32 on: 10 / May / 2008, 19:56:14 »
I tested this MD script on the A720IS. It is the first one I can actually get to work so that's great. What I'm curious about though is when the script if running it turns on the focusing light. Why does it need to do this? Is there a way to turn it off. It really drains the batteries quickly.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #33 on: 11 / May / 2008, 04:55:35 »
I tested this MD script on the A720IS. It is the first one I can actually get to work so that's great. What I'm curious about though is when the script if running it turns on the focusing light. Why does it need to do this? Is there a way to turn it off. It really drains the batteries quickly.

The script does not control the focusing light (Ae beam) in any way. If (when) the script lets the camera autofocus, it flashes the light just like it always does unless you disable it from Canon's menus (this is the easy fix to your problem, of course).

I haven't noticed the Ae beam getting stuck in any operating mode of the script on my camera, but this doesn't mean your camera wouldn't be different. Yours is a DryOS Digic III, mine is VxWorks Digic III.

Now, we need more information.

Try both still shooting operating modes (fast and slow) of the script and in different camera modes (such as auto focus, manual focus, M mode, P mode). I'm guessing the Ae beam only gets stuck in fast react mode and that this problem doesn't exist in slow mode. In fast mode, the script runs motion detect while the camera shutter is half pressed. In slow react mode it doesn't press the shutter at all until it has detected motion.

Maybe your camera doesn't find focus and that's why it doesn't turn off the light (but isn't there a timeout in the camera for finding focus?). Or, maybe your camera always (unless disabled) keeps the light on while half-shuttering unlike my camera, which only blinks it during autofocus (you can test this even without CHDK).

Offline dkeggins

• s5is
« Reply #34 on: 12 / May / 2008, 07:38:49 »
I have a S5IS and the motion scrips works good but when I try to do video, I get a script error at the top of my screen.  I do put the camera in video mode first before running the script.  The error is: uBASIC:131 Unk key     I don't know enough about the script commands to try to figure this out.  I don't know if anyone else ran into this problem or not yet. 

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #35 on: 12 / May / 2008, 13:45:39 »
I have a S5IS and the motion scrips works good but when I try to do video, I get a script error at the top of my screen.  I do put the camera in video mode first before running the script.  The error is: uBASIC:131 Unk key     I don't know enough about the script commands to try to figure this out.  I don't know if anyone else ran into this problem or not yet. 

Before we get into this deeper, are you sure you are using the latest script version (MDFB-080419-DigicIII.bas)?. I'm asking this because on line 132 of the old test version 080414 (which only works on test builds with the KAP dialmode patch and one doesn't exist for the s5) presses "dm_movie", which doesn't exist in current allbest builds. This would explain your problem...

Offline dkeggins

• s5is
« Reply #36 on: 12 / May / 2008, 23:14:40 »
I have a S5IS and the motion scrips works good but when I try to do video, I get a script error at the top of my screen.  I do put the camera in video mode first before running the script.  The error is: uBASIC:131 Unk key     I don't know enough about the script commands to try to figure this out.  I don't know if anyone else ran into this problem or not yet. 

Before we get into this deeper, are you sure you are using the latest script version (MDFB-080419-DigicIII.bas)?. I'm asking this because on line 132 of the old test version 080414 (which only works on test builds with the KAP dialmode patch and one doesn't exist for the s5) presses "dm_movie", which doesn't exist in current allbest builds. This would explain your problem...

I have version 080414.  Thanks for the feedback.   I tried looking for the newer version 080419 but had no luck.  Would you be able to repost it or post a link to it.  Thanks.   (I have a bird feader and there are a couple cardinals in the area...like to try testing it on that)  Again, thanks fudgey.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #37 on: 13 / May / 2008, 02:28:17 »
I have version 080414.  Thanks for the feedback.   I tried looking for the newer version 080419 but had no luck.  Would you be able to repost it or post a link to it.  Thanks.   (I have a bird feader and there are a couple cardinals in the area...like to try testing it on that)  Again, thanks fudgey.

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,471.msg11856.html#msg11856

« Reply #38 on: 13 / May / 2008, 07:01:28 »
Thanks fudgey,

Excellent script.
Excellent documentation.

Works very well with default values on my s3is. I will try different settings soon.

RW

Offline dkeggins

• s5is
« Reply #39 on: 13 / May / 2008, 09:08:13 »
Thanks fudgey.  I downloaded the script after I realized I have to be logged in to see the attachments.  I'm learning...
However, I still cannot shoot video.  I made sure my camera was in movie mode first and all.  So I did a little digging and found in another message thred that CHDK does not support Video on the S5is at this time.  Bummer.  I'm sure the script is fine for the S5is because it does the still before and after the video and it displays it is recording video.  I guess I will have to wait for a new release of CHDK that supports video for the S5is before I can test it out.