Fast MD with burst/preview mode - page 5 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Fast MD with burst/preview mode

• 232 Replies

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Fast MD with burst/preview mode
« Reply #40 on: 13 / May / 2008, 17:17:21 »
Advertisements
Thanks fudgey.  I downloaded the script after I realized I have to be logged in to see the attachments.  I'm learning...
However, I still cannot shoot video.  I made sure my camera was in movie mode first and all.  So I did a little digging and found in another message thred that CHDK does not support Video on the S5is at this time.  Bummer.  I'm sure the script is fine for the S5is because it does the still before and after the video and it displays it is recording video.  I guess I will have to wait for a new release of CHDK that supports video for the S5is before I can test it out.

I haven't been following the DryOS development closely so I'm guessing a bit here, but I don't think CHDK needs to support video in any way for this script to work since the script only emulates shutter key presses. I'm assuming the thread you're handles customized video compression rates, which doesn't have anything to do how the camera starts and stops video record.

But I know the S series and A series are different when it comes to movie recording and burst shooting, with the S series having more functionality. So, if the s5 needs different kinds of keys to be pressed compared to my a570, the script needs some modifications to work with the s5 movie mode.

Exactly what do you do when you (without CHDK) record video? What I do on the a570is is
1) rotate mode dial to movie mode
2) full press shutter (or half press -> full press) to start recording
3) full press shutter again to stop recording

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #41 on: 13 / May / 2008, 17:24:11 »
the s-series has a dedicated movie-rec button. pressing the shutter ALWAYS takes a picture, no matter what mode the dial is in,it even takes a picture when you are in the middle of a video recording session. pressing the movie-rec button ALWAYS starts/stops video capture.
i dont know if there is a dedicated ubasic command to press the movie button, but i think you can achieve that with the "press" or "click" command (just dont click the shutter).

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #42 on: 13 / May / 2008, 17:40:12 »
the s-series has a dedicated movie-rec button. pressing the shutter ALWAYS takes a picture, no matter what mode the dial is in,it even takes a picture when you are in the middle of a video recording session. pressing the movie-rec button ALWAYS starts/stops video capture.
i dont know if there is a dedicated ubasic command to press the movie button, but i think you can achieve that with the "press" or "click" command (just dont click the shutter).

Now that explains a lot... :)

In that case the slow video mode should be easily fixed by substituting the three press/release/click "shoot_full" commands with press/release/click "video".

But the slow one is a bit trickier as it works in half-shoot. I'm assuming the S series video button can't be half-shooted? What happens if you press the video button while you are half-pressed? Not that it matters much, since the fast mode relies on MD doing shoot_full, which obviously doesn't work for the S series video unless MD code is changed so that it fast-presses the video instead.

Or maybe Lua will one day come to the rescue and eliminate the need for MD internal fast shoot by eliminating all delays after md_detect_motion calls?

I haven't actually made any speed benchmarks with the video mode yet. It's not completely impossible that the 60 Hz mode could react quicker in average compared to still mode. Not holding my breath, though.

« Reply #43 on: 14 / May / 2008, 07:45:01 »
Yes, the video MD puzzeled me, too, until I realized it's because I have a dedicated video button on the TX-1.

PhyrePhoX, any chance of this script making it to trunk?
Whoa-Hey! Careful where you point that thing. You're gonna shoot someone!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #44 on: 14 / May / 2008, 07:50:07 »
what do you mean by that? there are scripts in the trunk, yes, but the majority of scripts are supposed to be obtained from either the wiki or the "completed scripts" subforum. maybe i didnt understand you correctly?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #45 on: 14 / May / 2008, 12:40:39 »
Hi, I created two more versions, one for Digic II cameras with a separate video button (S3IS, are there others?) and one for Digic III cameras with a separate video button (S5IS and TX1, are there others?).

Basically these versions differ only in that they have one video mode (instead of two) and it's the slower one, unfortunately. If you choose the fast react video mode the script just reverts to slow video mode instead.

Obviously someone needs to test these as I don't have any of the compatible cameras. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,471.msg11856.html#msg11856 for documentation if you are new to the scripts and the proper version in case you have a camera without a separate video button.

edit: There is a more recent version of these scripts here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,471.msg17797.html#msg17797.
« Last Edit: 17 / July / 2008, 14:51:49 by fudgey »

« Reply #46 on: 14 / May / 2008, 14:08:32 »
Has anyone tried capturing water drops with this script or ones with similar speeds?

« Reply #47 on: 14 / May / 2008, 15:56:30 »
Thanks a bunch, fudgey! I'll test it later today on my TX1. ;)

« Reply #48 on: 14 / May / 2008, 19:11:24 »
FANTASTIC! :) It works great! I have not tested all parameters, but the video works beautifully.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #49 on: 14 / May / 2008, 19:54:21 »
as i see it, i have to add another ubasic command like "get_has_dedicated_moviebutton" for making your great script universal :)