Fast MD with burst/preview mode - page 10 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum  

Fast MD with burst/preview mode

• 232 Replies

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Fast MD with burst/preview mode
« Reply #90 on: 17 / July / 2008, 17:00:44 »
Advertisements
So i'm missing the options:

You didn't say which build you are running, so I'm going to guess it's something ancient. Very old builds don't support scripts with as many script parameters as the MDFB uses. Very old may actually mean just a few months in our cuddly CHDK land.

Find Allbest 51 (or 50) or latest SDM or juciphox if you're feeling experimental, and don't forget to delete your chdk.cfg file while upgrading.

Offline fvdk

• Ixus 70 1.01b / 1.02a & Powershot A590is 1.01b
    • My Flickr photo page
« Reply #91 on: 17 / July / 2008, 17:02:31 »
Sorry, i forgot.

I use SDM 1.72 (latest version, jusr released this weekend)

Offline fvdk

• Ixus 70 1.01b / 1.02a & Powershot A590is 1.01b
    • My Flickr photo page
« Reply #92 on: 17 / July / 2008, 17:12:00 »
Well, i found Allbest 50 and put that on another card and now i see all the other parameters so it seems that the problem is with SDM.

I'll let David know, maybe he can fix it in another release.

Thanks again.

« Reply #93 on: 17 / July / 2008, 18:37:27 »
Thanks, I've been playing with your script more. I get around 250ms detection with my camera. Is this suitable for capturing lightning?

That's a bit on the slow side, so it's likely that you'll only get some of the the longest lightnings from a storm. You'll know it's working properly but too slow (or pointed at the wrong part of the sky) if the camera keeps trying to shoot all lightnings, but you just can't find any lightnings in the resulting images.

Also, my camera has a movie option on the main dial, but it is not a button, so I am NOT using the movie button version. I wanted to make sure that I am using the right script.

Yes that's correct. Movie button is something they have on the S series (like S3IS) and TX1, but AFAIK not on A series or IXUS/SD series cameras.

I updated the script on my camera to the one you posted on today and played around with more settings. Using the MD_Test2 software, I get approximately 120ms response time. I suppose this will be much better for capturing lightning.

Also, I wanted to thank you for making a great script and giving me the ability to do this I could never have expected to do with my camera.

« Reply #94 on: 20 / July / 2008, 18:15:58 »
Hot dang!  A MD script that works with my A720IS..  It got me out to radioshack to rig up an external battery pack.  :)

Many kudos, and much thanks!

« Reply #95 on: 22 / July / 2008, 23:45:54 »
Also just tested this with an a720is - works great!  Love this place...

« Reply #96 on: 25 / July / 2008, 17:53:30 »
Fudgey, I have your newest release on my S5IS and am running it in test mode. It shows detection 1,2 etc.
but no info. Am I missing something somewhere as I'm not sure where to see ms speed or other information. I would appreciate any direction you can give me. Thank you,carp
P.S. I have allbest build 51 on my camera.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #97 on: 25 / July / 2008, 18:40:32 »
Fudgey, I have your newest release on my S5IS and am running it in test mode. It shows detection 1,2 etc.
but no info. Am I missing something somewhere as I'm not sure where to see ms speed or other information. I would

The test mode is there just to verify that MD is as trigger happy as you wish it to be and that your mask selection is laid out the way want. There's no way for the script to measure it's reaction speed. That would be like measuring the accuracy of your wrist watch by comparing it's time to the very same watch... :D

There are a couple of utilities to measure MD reaction time using a PC display, possibly found on another thread over here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,405.0.html. I don't actually use those as they don't work well with my computers and I have my own hardware setup for measuring MD speed.

« Reply #98 on: 25 / July / 2008, 18:50:52 »
Fudgey, Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still learning and your script works great, better than me.
Thanks again!

« Reply #99 on: 03 / August / 2008, 18:48:51 »
--I seemed to fix this before I posted, but it might be a poor solution, so I will post the entire thing anyway--

-----

I have a small problem using this script using an ixus750(SD550). From what I understand it is supposed to continuously monitor for movement, that is, loop when it takes the first image.

For me this does not happen.

The first image is taken without any problem, but it seems the camera is stuck with the trigger half down. It acts the same as if I take a picture and then release the trigger only half way, with live view but no script action.
This happens both with fast and slow react photo.

I did some quick debugging and found that i stops at the end of the fast_md_loop

Code: [Select]
  do
    get_prop 205 P
  until P<>1

Here P is always one, if i exit <alt> mode and enter it again it resumes normally and I can take another photo.

I have tried to change different things, but nothing seems to help. Trigger delay from 0 to 20, OSD on/of,  makes no difference.

Removing the sequence made it take a few extra pictures some times, like early versions of the script I guess but not an infinite loop. Increasing Threshold or delay would be a temporary fix, but it is not what I am looking for.

-----

Right before the code I posted earlier I added 'release "shoot_half"' and it appears to work like it should, just changing shoot_full to shoot_half did not work. Feedback appreciated, and I hope I just have not missed a newer release with this fixed.

Erik