Mods for the Canon S3 IS? - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum  

Mods for the Canon S3 IS?

• 3 Replies
Mods for the Canon S3 IS?
« on: 09 / February / 2010, 08:28:20 »
Advertisements
I loaded the CHDK into my Canon, its really great, i love the exposure times hack. I have an external flash from my SLR, and i wanna make a circuit board to trigger the flash. Is there any way to do this using the USB port? I wanna experiment on lighting.

Thanks for any help!

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Mods for the Canon S3 IS?
« Reply #1 on: 11 / February / 2010, 09:11:31 »
u can't use usb port. just use an optical trigger. they're cheap. you just have to make sure to set the flash to manual mode.

« Reply #2 on: 16 / February / 2010, 09:07:19 »
Thanks... i experimented with the external flash and i found out the triggers and such, now just need to build a switch for it... the switch build for it will be easy, but i want to interface it with my S3IS. I wanna try the USB remote thingy, but can someone show me the complete and working diagram? with the voltages and such?  :)

Hmm... maybe an IR trigger from the cam's USB port to an IR receiver of the external flash's switch?
« Last Edit: 16 / February / 2010, 09:17:18 by eight »

« Reply #3 on: 20 / February / 2010, 21:23:19 »
I built a trigger with the usb, and also a trigger to fire the flash, but i can't seem to sync them, there are optical triggers, but i dunno how to build them... here's something that i found on the net...

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0073/index.shtml

They say that to put the Canon S3's flash into manual mode, then it send a small signal to trigger the flash... i don't know where does this signal come from and i wanna find out!

:)