PowerShot D10 Porting Prize - page 2 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

PowerShot D10 Porting Prize

• 28 Replies
Re: PowerShot D10 Porting Prize
« Reply #10 on: 14 / March / 2010, 17:19:16 »
Advertisements
I am hoping for a modest improvement in dynamic range. Even one or two bits makes a lot of difference.
I assure you that I am not getting carried away. I have no expectations that D10 support will ever be produced or even if it is that I will find it very useful.

In any event I'm not quite sure why my reasons for wanting it matter. I have offered a modest amount of money for someone to go to the effort of producing this software. If all I ever do with it is copy it to an SD card, mount it and hang it on the wall - others can get the benefit from someone else's hard work and my tiny bit of generosity.

« Reply #11 on: 15 / March / 2010, 05:03:54 »
Microfunguy:

Something along these lines would be more than satisfactory...
CHDK raw/dng versus jpg

I'm interested in your comment about the lack of real aperture. I assume you mean that it has no iris diaphragm. It appears to have one (well that is what I think I am seeing when I peer in the front of the camera). It certainly reports aperture and shutter speed for the shots that it takes, but the user interface is very much point and shoot, so the only one of the three variables that you have direct control over is ISO rating.
« Last Edit: 18 / March / 2010, 23:51:09 by patrick keogh »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 19 / March / 2010, 02:53:31 »
It certainly reports aperture and shutter speed for the shots that it takes, but the user interface is very much point and shoot, so the only one of the three variables that you have direct control over is ISO rating.
There is an aperture value, controlled by the zoom setting. There is also probably an ND filter, which canon reports in the aperture value.

No canon cameras that I know of (and I looked through the manual of every supported camera when I was re-working the mode map table!) have an adjustable aperture without an Av mode. This is no surprise, it wouldn't make much sense for canon to spend the money on the hardware and then not make it available.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #13 on: 19 / March / 2010, 23:28:07 »
Thanks for the clarification.

« Reply #14 on: 17 / April / 2010, 22:05:29 »
Hard to believe that nobody wanted a FREE camera!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #15 on: 18 / April / 2010, 17:31:46 »
Hard to believe that nobody wanted a FREE camera!
The value of the camera is far less then the value of the programmer time required to do the port, and (no offense intended to anyone in this thread) the difference between offering a reward in a forum post and following through is large. That said, if a camera shows up in my mailbox, a port will follow eventually. I expect is true for most of the other developers.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #16 on: 18 / April / 2010, 17:34:10 »
Speaking for my part of the offer I am happy to enter into escrow arrangements.

It is worth saying however that the time will come when I am no longer interested in the port. The D10 is over a year old now, and must surely be replaced in Canon's line up sometime soon. I want the capability in the camera for a specific purpose, a specific event and after that I will no longer be interested.

If I can argue for the prioritisation of the D10 over other cameras, there are literally dozens of supported cameras with very similar or at least overlapping capability. Adding one more camera to the list provides only a small increment in capability. The D10 is unique as the only waterproof model, so porting CHDK to it will dramatically improve overall capability. For example, think about time lapse photography in a camera that can be left out of doors. Think about underwater time lapse sequences.
« Last Edit: 18 / April / 2010, 17:40:37 by patrick keogh »

« Reply #17 on: 19 / April / 2010, 21:14:49 »
Sorry Reyalp.  I probably underestimated the time and difficulty in porting a new model.  I assumed that with all of the other ports available, that one could surely be used as a template.  I used to be pretty good at hacking, automation, and programming, but I wouldn't know how or where to start.  I do own a D10 and love the idea of using time lapse and motion sensing for lightning shots as the D10 could be left out in the elements, being waterproof.  If someone could point me in the right direction I would be willing to try my hand at hacking the D10.  If I had the knowledge, I would do it just for the satisfaction of being able to bring this to others without being compensated monetarily. I always liked a good challenge.  If I can do anything to get the ball rolling, please let me know.     

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #18 on: 20 / April / 2010, 02:01:40 »
If someone could point me in the right direction I would be willing to try my hand at hacking the D10
--> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers ;)
--> I suggest also to read through some of the newer porting threads, e.g. for the G11 or S90...

Offline ERR99

« Reply #19 on: 29 / April / 2010, 02:17:54 »
Even if there is allready a blinked out 4MB dump for the D10, i want to know if this works:
So could please someone with a D10 test my attached modified udumper on a D10?

Steps:
- Uses cardtricks (with max. 2GB SD Card) to create a NewDryOS udumper sd-card
- replace diskboot.bin on the sd-card with the attached one
- Set write protect switch to ON and boot the camera with the SD-Card (camera should show no reaction after switched on. If so: wait for 1..2 Minutes, then remove battery)
- Use the "AFTER-dumping --> Strings" button to check if there are any strings in the dump on the SD-Card
- If there are strings in the dump (so dump was succesfull) use "AFTER-dumping --> Clean" to create a clean dump file (without dummy bytes) and upload it if you wish... ;)