Any tips on how to back up settings? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Any tips on how to back up settings?

• 3 Replies
Any tips on how to back up settings?
« on: 04 / March / 2010, 16:04:00 »
Advertisements
Hi folks,

Thanks tons to everyone for CHDK, it rocks!

With the help of lots of people in the IRC channel, I managed to use CHDK to complete an extensive archiving project. I photographed almost 30,000 (!) index cards. In order to do so, I used a script that took a pic every 4 seconds, and then  I rigged up a little box sort of thing to frame the images. Then I started the script, and started flipping. And flipping... and flipping...

It took a considerable amount of back-and-forth with people in the IRC channel to get the settings right: I had to turn auto focus off, turn off RAW, etc etc.

Here's my problem: because I went through that tweaking in a piecemeal way, I don't really remember every step that I took to configure my SD card. I still have the card installed in the same way, so all the info is there.

Is there a way I can dump the contents of that card in order to document my settings for others who might be interested in working on archival projects like mine? It would also be great if I could start a thread here (as opposed to IRC, which is kind of ephemeral) about the settings -- perhaps someone else would have recommendations for improvements.

In any case, thanks again to everyone involved in this project!

-Snifty

Offline zeno

Re: Any tips on how to back up settings?
« Reply #1 on: 04 / March / 2010, 18:08:12 »
If what you mean is the settings that are recorded in the CCHDK.CFG file, then you can use my CFG file editor (Windows or Mac) to look at them and save them in text format. See http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/kapstuff/zcfgedit.html
« Last Edit: 05 / March / 2010, 04:12:48 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #2 on: 05 / March / 2010, 01:20:12 »
The CHDK config file is  CCHDK.CFG  located in the \CHDK sub folder of the SD card.
You can also try to copy the config file you want to use (stored in folders with different names, e.g. 001, 002...) with the CHDK file browser (from the Misc.. menu) over the actual one; the next start CHDK should then use this config file...

« Reply #3 on: 06 / March / 2010, 22:00:26 »
Thanks guys, I will check out both of these approaches and post again if I have any trouble.