Raw Develop on a G11 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

Raw Develop on a G11

• 7 Replies
Raw Develop on a G11
« on: 11 / March / 2010, 20:39:09 »
Advertisements
I shoot raw on my new G11, with the latest Beta CHDK installed.

Without CHDK, on the G11, if you produce RAW+JPEG for each image, the JPEG is generated by the camera using all default settings, rather than the camera settings at the time the image was captured.  But raw develop from CHDK offers the possibility of getting a raw file plus a JPEG made with the current camera settings (I presume current as of the time that raw develop is done, not at the time the image was first captured.)

But on my camera, raw develop doesn't seem to work the way it is described in the User Quick Start Guide. Specifically, when I select a raw image file from the file browser with the SET button, there is supposed to be a message which is cleared by a second press of the SET button.  No such message appears. When I exit the menu and exit ALT mode, and then press the shutter, I do not get a JPEG file added to that directory, I get a new image file, whatever the camera was pointed at at the moment.

Can someone detect what I am doing wrong??

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Raw Develop on a G11
« Reply #1 on: 12 / March / 2010, 01:27:32 »
Hello & welcome, bobgoldstein !

...there is supposed to be a message which is cleared by a second press of the SET button.  No such message appears. When I exit the menu and exit ALT mode, and then press the shutter, I do not get a JPEG file added to that directory, I get a new image file, whatever the camera was pointed at at the moment.

Maybe a bug / missing feature in the G11's CHDK version...
On other cameras, e.g. on my SD870, it works as described in the CHDK manual - also when you exit <Alt> mode without confirming the message/with the message on the screen...

« Reply #2 on: 12 / March / 2010, 10:59:50 »
I am indeed a newbie, to WIKI's in general.  Shall I assume that someone in the developer group will look at this?

Re: Raw Develop on a G11 and another problem
« Reply #3 on: 12 / March / 2010, 11:32:30 »
I have tried to get a superfine JPEG by using the overrides to override the quality and set it to superfine.  But when I took two pictures in a row, one with overrides disabled and one with overrides not disabled, both image files were the same size. 

Is there a way to tell if a JPEG file is in superfine mode? Any EXIF entry, for example?

« Reply #4 on: 16 / March / 2010, 02:17:26 »
To your initial question: Could it be the case, that you try to develop a Canon RAW image instead of the CHDK RAW image? CHDK only develops CHDK RAW files, which you have to take first.

« Reply #5 on: 16 / March / 2010, 14:11:10 »
No, I was trying to 'Raw Develop' a file written by the G11 natively, not the CHDK version of the raw format.  The documentation is silent on whether that 'development' is restricted to CHDK raw files or not.

As another newbie, I am curious to now whether there is anyone working on the G11 Beta version, and if so, whether they have accepted my findings as bugs to be fixed.

« Reply #6 on: 16 / March / 2010, 16:22:15 »
This is probably the reason why it did not work. CHDK does not recognize "native" RAWs and just does nothing without any message. I guess, they do not mention this in the manual, because most cameras CHDK is used for do not have "native" RAW.

As written, it should work after taking a CHDK RAW file. This can be converted/developed into different JPGs and G11 "native" RAW, too.

(Haven't felt the need to deal with JPG compression in CHDK, so far.)

Offline an0n

« Reply #7 on: 16 / March / 2010, 21:15:23 »
.......I guess, they do not mention this in the manual, because most cameras CHDK is used for do not have "native" RAW.

I have changed the Wiki entry for this, http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#RAW_develop, the .pdf will have to wait for the next edition :)
A720IS.