Can't load CHDK on A650. - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Can't load CHDK on A650.

• 11 Replies
Can't load CHDK on A650.
« on: 08 / February / 2008, 11:47:45 »
Advertisements
I have read the wiki FAQs/info about manually loading the CHDK.

Did everything as written, step by step.

After inserting the SD back into the digicam and starting in PLAY mode, no "Firm Update" would show in the MENU.

Am I missing something? Some undocumented step that might help?

I know it's a new CHDK for this model, but maybe someone has already tried it on Canon A650 IS.

Would appreciate your help.

The CHDK I used is: allbest-a650-100d-16

Offline ewavr

• A710IS

Re: Can't load CHDK on A650.
« Reply #2 on: 08 / February / 2008, 12:32:35 »
Thank you for the link.

Any way to do it manually, without making the SD bootable?

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #3 on: 08 / February / 2008, 12:46:12 »
Any way to do it manually, without making the SD bootable?
There is no way yet. But you can enable/disable the autobooting by SD-lock-switch.
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #4 on: 08 / February / 2008, 13:45:17 »
Thank you very much for the fast answers.

I will try to use the info you gave me to get this done.

« Reply #5 on: 01 / April / 2008, 14:58:54 »
well, I made some "progress"...found out that WinXP simply refuses to format an 8GB SDHD card as fat16. Even if the format command says that is what it is doing. Won't do it. So I got out an old SD card and formatted that and put the diskboot.bin from allbest .57 on it and used the bootdisk tool and checked the mbr with a hexeditor and it looks ok...the camera a650 will not boot at all with this card in it in wp mode. It works ok in unlocked, but is dead when the card is locked.vvv thanks

Will someone please put up exactly the code and hardware that they are using and the *exact* procedures and directory-listing that they are using to get this to work with their a650?

thanks

« Reply #6 on: 02 / April / 2008, 06:44:46 »
8GB cards can work with the A650 IS.  You can make use of the entire 8GB by using the multi-partition method.  Using my A650 IS, I filled up 8GB on an 8GB card with RAW format pictures and copied them off to my hard disk earlier today.  Alternately, you can also use a single 4GB FAT16 partition.  I am using AllBest build 49.  I have also used AllBest build 37, but without multi-partition.

touristguy87:  Yes, I know that my post does not provide you with a step by step list of how to do accomplish what you desire.  I just don't have the time to write up what I did at the moment.  All the information is available from within the threads to which you posted, threads referenced by those threads, or the wiki. 

Have you actually partitioned your card down to 4GB?

What method did you use to format your card?

Have you tried the following in a DOS box:
format f: /fs:fat
[Change "f:" to the drive letter for your card.]
You should have to confirm that you want to use 64k clusters.
The command should fail if your card is not partitioned to <4GB.

Offline KF

« Reply #7 on: 06 / April / 2008, 22:55:23 »
8GB cards can work with the A650 IS.  You can make use of the entire 8GB by using the multi-partition method. 

For those of us who must have missed it,  please describe how to do this.

KF

« Reply #8 on: 08 / May / 2008, 02:49:45 »
try this link as the one you put up doesn't work

Index of /chdk/

allbest-a650-100d-50.zip 

hot damm...it actually works.  At least with a 2GB card.

I just copied the bin file to the card root, ran bootdisk, locked it, put it in the camera, set it to read mode turned it on and it worked. Didn't have to do a thing beyond that but configure it.
« Last Edit: 08 / May / 2008, 03:02:34 by touristguy87 »

« Reply #9 on: 08 / May / 2008, 02:50:14 »
"All the information is available from within the threads to which you posted, threads referenced by those threads, or the wik"

...yes, I'm sure that it's on the internet somewhere.

actually it is right here on this board and on others too, if not under "multiple partition" then under "multi-partition".

for those who don't know what this refers to at all, it is a way to get Digic3 cameras to use the full capacity of cards larger than 4GB, which is the limit of Fat16 with 64k clusters.

beyond that if you are willing to copy a registry entry and then modify an inf file and install a 3rd party USB driver for your card reader, then you can get a full card >4GB to work on your digic3 camera, at least in xp. It does seem to be fairly-well documented, maybe even doable...haven't tried it myself...at the moment I'm happy using a 2GB card in my a650 and my 8GB card is in my G9. I spent some time testing this today, of course it is easier to just use the G9 and indeed it gives slightly better IQ, too, probably in some part because I can use Bibble Pro 4.9.9b to convert the raw image while I have to use dcraw to convert the raw files off the a650, and it comes down to the quality of the software used to post-process the files.

Plus I can't get any exif info out of dcraw, so that makes it more complex to do any noise-reduction on the raw  output.

But

The files that I do get are much better than the camera jpegs.
...the two cameras have roughly the same noise characteristics but the G9 is much easier to work with, with chdk in this state.

...there is a narrow window where using CHDK with a 12MP p&s with IS that can shoot raw with chdk and is fast, clean, small and light enough to be an adequate DSLR substitute but is only a little more trouble and so much cheaper than a G9 or something that already shoots raw out of the store. That window is passing-by fairly quickly. To me raw shooting is the only feature that CHDK gives that makes it worth even messing with CHDK in the first place. The movies can be larger than 1GB? Great, who cares. The bracketing is useful but minor, the auto-ISO tuning is useful but minor. Who is going to go through all this just to get auto-ISO to work better on their camera, so they don't have to adjust it manually, unless it works perfectly and they never have to set the ISO manually again.  Probably not happening here.

but I definitel have to applaud what has already happened. almost too little too late but still.

« Last Edit: 08 / May / 2008, 20:40:59 by touristguy87 »