New, excited, but a bit confused... - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

New, excited, but a bit confused...

• 2 Replies
New, excited, but a bit confused...
« on: 18 / March / 2010, 00:28:43 »
Advertisements
Awesome effort here! Just found out about your existence (from the openphotographyforums.com) and I love the concept of what is going on here. I'm an advocate of opensource work.

My question: having an SX120, I searched it and it says nothing ready yet. But I see other SX cameras in forum questions although I did not see them on the supported list. Therein is my confusion. Does this mean that the autobuild (is that the right word) version will work with the SX120? or do I wait until something specific is available? I'm looking primarily for RAW support.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: New, excited, but a bit confused...
« Reply #1 on: 18 / March / 2010, 02:14:26 »
Hello & welcome, GeekStyle59 !

My question: having an SX120, I searched it and it says nothing ready yet. But I see other SX cameras in forum questions although I did not see them on the supported list. Therein is my confusion. Does this mean that the autobuild (is that the right word) version will work with the SX120? or do I wait until something specific is available?
CHDK must be ported (programmed) to a specific camera model and firmware version.
Sometimes the differences between two firmware versions of the same camera are so small that the CHDK code works on both firmwares. Using the same CHDK version for different camera models will never work.

The Autobuild Server (see also: CHDK wikia - Downloads) automatically compiles & delivers the latest CHDK versions.
The development process (="porting") normally takes place here in the forum; when it's time for a public beta version, the port will be added to the CHDK SVN repository, the AB server then automatically build the download packages for the users...

Porting the SX120 is in process, the porting thread is here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,4284.0.html
There's an early alpha test build for fw version 1.00B available, but the development is in an early state, there's no usable CHDK version available yet...

You can follow the porting thread; when an usable beta version is available, you can help testing there...

Re: New, excited, but a bit confused...
« Reply #2 on: 13 / April / 2010, 23:27:52 »
A much belated thank you fe50. I was so excited that I went to the porting thread and followed for a while but a beta seemed a ways off, then life happened and I've just gotten back to my passion tonight. I tried to catch up on the porting thread for the SX120, but I got lost. I will go back to that thread now to see if someone can clear up if beta is out yet. Please accept my delayed thanks....