IXUS 130 (SD1400 IS) Porting Thread - page 26 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

IXUS 130 (SD1400 IS) Porting Thread

• 288 Replies
Re: IXUS 130 (SD1400 IS) Porting Thread
« Reply #250 on: 24 / September / 2012, 18:00:31 »
Advertisements
However, I can't find my old SD-cards (perhaps I shipped them with the old cameras?) and the two cards I use in my IXUS 130 IS don't work in the card readers I have. I will get back here as soon as I either find one of those old cards or I get time to buy a new card reader. Very annoying.
If you send me a real email address via PM,  I'll send you a link to a CHDK version with instructions on how to format the card in your camera.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #251 on: 26 / September / 2012, 09:41:03 »
Got the card reader and have transfered the files - and prepared them (removed resource forks since I'm using a mac).

Works fine, as far as I can tell!  :)

I can both do single boots via the "firmware update" option in the camera as well as boot from a card that has been made bootable.

The only problem I've had is actually the instruction, which seems generic and a bit outdated:

The part describing how to verify the firmware version by pressing buttons does not mention that there is a crucial time limit. If you do not press "DISP" sufficiently fast after "FUNC SET", you only get the current time in the camera. You must hurry up.

When CHDK is being loaded, the "playback" button does not flash; there is a small LED next to it that flashes. Moreover, the camera starts up in playback mode after the CHDK Splash-Screen has been shown. It does not show the new battery-meter icon and "several other things". You only get to see this once the camera goes over to shooting mode.

It could be clear about what the "Shortcut" button is (the "button labeled "DISP").

"Make Card Bootable..." is not found on the submenu "Debug Parameters" (there is no such) but "Miscellaneous Stuff".

But after I had figured out this, and some other small issues, it all seems to work fine!

« Reply #252 on: 26 / September / 2012, 10:21:22 »
The only problem I've had is actually the instruction, which seems generic and a bit outdated:
I'm working on a rewrite of the included readme.txt file - it's included with every camera version of CHDK and needs to be very generic.   As you noticed, its also very out-of-date.  The new version will probably just point to the appropriate wiki pages rather than try to repeat the latest information on the wiki.

Moreover, the camera starts up in playback mode after the CHDK Splash-Screen has been shown.
Normal for CHDK.  If you want to start in shooting mode,  hold the On/Off button down when you start the camera until you hear the lens start to extend.

It does not show the new battery-meter icon and "several other things". You only get to see this once the camera goes over to shooting mode.
This is now a setup option that is configurable in the OSD menu..

It could be clear about what the "Shortcut" button is (the "button labeled "DISP").
The "Shortcut" or <ALT> button changes from camera to camera.  All depends on which button the person who ported the camera picked.   We've tried to standardize on the "Playback" button recently but that has not made its way into all camera - although its now user configurable in many of them.

"Make Card Bootable..." is not found on the submenu "Debug Parameters" (there is no such) but "Miscellaneous Stuff".
The menu systems was reworked in version 1.2.0 but the documentation is all still written around 1.1.0.   This will likely take some time to fix.

« Reply #253 on: 27 / September / 2012, 17:35:23 »
I have now tried beta 2 out to some degree and it seems to work fine. I'm not a professional photographer, though.

Sad to say, I have discovered a hardware problem with my camera. The camera has problems focusing, probably because an E18 ZoomLensError seem to have occurred a while ago.  :( I wasn't aware of this error but it could explain why many of the pictures now are not really as sharp and crisp as they were when the camera was new. It also means I'm not really sure if my tests are worth anything.

Re: IXUS 130 (SD1400 IS) Porting Thread - Success
« Reply #254 on: 04 / October / 2012, 09:02:55 »
I've posted the beta 2 code for inclusion in the svn repository and promoted the 1.00C release to "alpha" status to be included in the autobuild.   All four beta testers have reported good results - dual partition booting now works properly and the only current bug is the "video zoom locks in digital mode" that is common on many cameras.

The 1.00A code has been updated but will not be available from the autobuild until somebody actually volunteers to test it.

Right now, (2012/10.04)  it looks like things are backed up with code submissions.  One svn maintainer is away on vacation and another backed up at work so it might be a while until you actually see this on the download page.

« Reply #255 on: 04 / October / 2012, 10:21:00 »
thanks for your hard work in getting this camera included in the main autobuilds. i really appreciate it :)

« Reply #256 on: 06 / December / 2012, 07:51:39 »
Hi,

thanks for your hard work in getting this camera included in the main autobuilds. i really appreciate it :)

I would like to second this and add my thanks as well. Waterwingz, you rock!

I've just downloaded the 1-2-0-2344-0 version and installed it in my SD1400IS via the "firmware upgrade" method, and it seems to be working alright. It's very nice being able to record DNG raw files with such a low-priced camera!

Just two questions:
1) After the upgrade, I've been getting intermitent "Memory card error" messages when turning it on, even before reloading CHDK. Some googling seems to indicate that this problem can sometimes be due to firmware (although I saw no mention of CHDK specifically). Usually removing the SD card and reinserting it "cures" the problem, although once I just removed the battery, counted to 10 and reinserted it, and the problem went away too. Is there anyone else getting this error?

2) The review screen is always locked in the "partial view" format, and of course I can't change it as the DISP key is now the CHDK macro key (even when I'm in review  mode). See attachment. Is that normal?

Cheers,
--
   Durval.

« Reply #257 on: 06 / December / 2012, 09:12:58 »
Just two questions:
1) After the upgrade, I've been getting intermitent "Memory card error" messages when turning it on, even before reloading CHDK. Some googling seems to indicate that this problem can sometimes be due to firmware (although I saw no mention of CHDK specifically). Usually removing the SD card and reinserting it "cures" the problem, although once I just removed the battery, counted to 10 and reinserted it, and the problem went away too. Is there anyone else getting this error?
Did you try using a different memory card ?

2) The review screen is always locked in the "partial view" format, and of course I can't change it as the DISP key is now the CHDK macro key (even when I'm in review  mode). See attachment. Is that normal?
Hold the DISP button down for more than one second (while not in <ALT> mode) and it should toggle through the display modes.

« Reply #258 on: 06 / December / 2012, 10:11:34 »
I've just downloaded the 1-2-0-2344-0 version and installed it in my SD1400IS via the "firmware upgrade" method, and it seems to be working alright. It's very nice being able to record DNG raw files with such a low-priced camera!

certainly packs a lot of functionality now into a very small device  :D

Hold the DISP button down for more than one second (while not in <ALT> mode) and it should toggle through the display modes.

that works fine here

« Reply #259 on: 08 / December / 2012, 11:13:14 »
Hi Waterwingz,

Sorry for the delay; I've turned on "notify" for this forum post, but GMail trashed the notifications to my spam box; just found them there.

Just two questions:
Did you try using a different memory card ?

Yep, replaced my 32GB SDHC with an 8GB SDHC and did not have any issues since. Probably it was a bad card, then...

Perfect. Thanks for the pointer, and I think it's high time I RTFM the fine CHDK manual... :-)

Cheers,
--
   Durval.