PowerShot SX210 IS - Porting Thread - page 57 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

PowerShot SX210 IS - Porting Thread

• 589 Replies
Re: PowerShot SX210 IS - Porting Thread
« Reply #560 on: 22 / March / 2013, 00:26:47 »
Advertisements
So the encryption you mentioned refers to the keys used to encode the firmware, like the old dvd css key nonsense.
But only needed if you are trying to create an image that the camera's "firmware update" function will recognize.  You can 'autoboot' using the SD card lock method without them.

For anyone else who wants to compile CHDK for this camera here's a quick rundown:
You can also take a look at this :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK-Shell

Now that I can run the latest chdk versions I hope to test out more features and feed that info back so we can get this build mainstream.
Excellent work!  Many people will owe you their thanks.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #561 on: 31 / March / 2013, 23:21:54 »

For anyone else who wants to compile CHDK for this camera here's a quick rundown:
That's it. I hope that will save the next guy some time.

Between those two lines was a very well written guide on how to run the program and each step of the process.

Yes sir, I must say that it did.  I wish you were writing the guides a few years back when I was trying to flash my phone for the first time with new firmware.  Well done. 

« Reply #562 on: 21 / April / 2013, 14:43:32 »
That's it. I hope that will save the next guy some time.

Now that I can run the latest chdk versions I hope to test out more features and feed that info back so we can get this build mainstream.
Great post. I never tried to compile CHDK before because I thought it was a lot more difficult. Thank you very much, following your guide I have been able to build successfully trunk2717.

Other than that, you could help us to enable autobuild for this camera.
For that to happen, we need to know whether the camera is stable when using various CHDK features (photo overrides, video overrides, histogram, zebra, edge overlay, RAW, DNG), and test scripts found here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Testing
I have tried 2717 a bit, and it does DNG OK. Histogram and zebra also work.
Regarding test scrips, I have tried llibtst.lua and ubtest.bas both seem to work OK (as far as I know).
For setmode.lua however, there were some FAILs, I attach here the log in case it helps.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #563 on: 21 / April / 2013, 21:41:13 »
I have tried 2717 a bit, and it does DNG OK. Histogram and zebra also work.
Regarding test scrips, I have tried llibtst.lua and ubtest.bas both seem to work OK (as far as I know).
Good. If possible, can you test photo related overrides, whether they work (and are stable)? Try setting a low ISO override too (with and without flash), and see whether it crashes the camera.
Also test the stability of video recording, and the video related CHDK overrides.
For setmode.lua however, there were some FAILs, I attach here the log in case it helps.
You can find the missing mode numbers via the propcase browser (miscellaneous stuff -> debug parameters -> debug data display [props]), propcase 49 on page nr 4 (the 4 unmapped mode numbers are: https://trac.assembla.com/chdk/browser/trunk/platform/sx210is/sub/100c/stubs_entry.S#L23 ). Browse through the camera's shooting modes using the mode dial and Canon menus, and note the propcase number in each mode.

« Reply #564 on: 24 / April / 2013, 15:06:20 »
Good. If possible, can you test photo related overrides, whether they work (and are stable)? Try setting a low ISO override too (with and without flash), and see whether it crashes the camera.
Also test the stability of video recording, and the video related CHDK overrides.
OK, I'll try overrides when I have some spare time. However I have never use these functions, so it's possible that I don't know what to look for.

You can find the missing mode numbers via the propcase browser (miscellaneous stuff -> debug parameters -> debug data display [props]), propcase 49 on page nr 4 (the 4 unmapped mode numbers are: https://trac.assembla.com/chdk/browser/trunk/platform/sx210is/sub/100c/stubs_entry.S#L23 ). Browse through the camera's shooting modes using the mode dial and Canon menus, and note the propcase number in each mode.
I have no idea how to use the debug menu to look for this, I'll try to find. But when I use the lua script, when set to manual, it displays these values. Are not these what we are looking for?

P         2   32772   STL
VIDEO_COLOR_SWAP     14   2611   VID
NIGHT_SNAPSHOT     36   32781   STL
SCN_FOLIAGE        38   16405   STL

« Reply #565 on: 26 / April / 2013, 12:06:00 »
yes, it runs stable if i set 80 oder greater, thats right.
The reason I was asking this is that there's an option in CHDK to restrict ISO override values to a safe range. It won't enable lower ISO, but it will prevent that crash. Note that you can't expect super-low ISOs anyway due to hardware restrictions.
Of course i tried most of the other features ( example RAW, but this was not so the result what i would have.
something was wrong with that pictures. i tried too, to convert the *.dng for using on ps5.5 or ps6
Are you saying that DNG (or RAW) is unusable? If so, what is the problem with it? Like:
- there's no picture, just noise (-> this can happen when the camera is in AUTO mode)
- the picture has wrong colors (-> if this is true, upload a JPEG + RAW (not DNG) file pair somewhere)
- if you only mean that you are unable to make better pictures from the RAW/DNG than the camera's JPEG, that's normal
I'll try to test overrides (in 2717). For the moment I can confirm what DigiFan says about ISO overrides. The camera hangs if ISO override lower than 80 and flash is on. You can use safely lower ISOs provided flash is off, actually getting ISOs lower than 80.
I have found no problems with DNGs. (I open them with Rawtherapee).

« Reply #566 on: 26 / April / 2013, 12:59:27 »
I've tested Av and Tv overrides. I've no prior experience using these so I can't compare, but they seem to work OK and the camera is stable.
As I said previously RAW/DNG, zebra and histogram both work correctly.

However I have tested edge overlay, and it only shows garbage in screen.

Regarding video I don't really know what to look for. I have switched from Default to Quality (other options as default), and with the same video length, the resulting file is twice as big. So I think it works as expected. No stability issues either.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #567 on: 26 / April / 2013, 13:28:41 »
The camera hangs if ISO override lower than 80 and flash is on. You can use safely lower ISOs provided flash is off, actually getting ISOs lower than 80.
Our current "solution" to this is to restrict minimum ISO override to a value that is always safe. However, if you can actually get lower ISOs to work, then this may need a second thought.

I've tested Av and Tv overrides. I've no prior experience using these so I can't compare, but they seem to work OK and the camera is stable.
As I said previously RAW/DNG, zebra and histogram both work correctly.
OK. Can you set a longer exposure (Tv override to 80 seconds for example), and see whether it actually takes 80 seconds (and not 64)? (Note that if dark frame subtraction kicks in, the total time will double.)
However I have tested edge overlay, and it only shows garbage in screen.
Is it always garbage or only when "frozen"? If the latter, try to take a longer (few seconds) exposure and see whether you get a correct "frozen" image.

Thanks for all your testing. If the camera remains stable (not counting the ISO override issue), this may be good enough for us to enable autobuild. If you have more time and patience, there might be additional things to test.
« Last Edit: 26 / April / 2013, 13:31:07 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #568 on: 27 / April / 2013, 07:06:13 »
Our current "solution" to this is to restrict minimum ISO override to a value that is always safe. However, if you can actually get lower ISOs to work, then this may need a second thought.
For example, by setting ISO override value to 10, I get a picture with ISO value of 16 (In canon OSD and EXIF). I've no idea if the value is real.

OK. Can you set a longer exposure (Tv override to 80 seconds for example), and see whether it actually takes 80 seconds (and not 64)? (Note that if dark frame subtraction kicks in, the total time will double.)
Done, and it actually take 80seconds.

Is it always garbage or only when "frozen"? If the latter, try to take a longer (few seconds) exposure and see whether you get a correct "frozen" image.
I'm not sure what I've done but somehow I got edge overlay frozen. Now it seems to work correctly in live or panorama modes.

Thanks for all your testing. If the camera remains stable (not counting the ISO override issue), this may be good enough for us to enable autobuild. If you have more time and patience, there might be additional things to test.
No problem, let me know what is needed and if it's simple enough for me to understand I'll try to test it.

« Reply #569 on: 27 / April / 2013, 08:19:19 »
I have no idea how to use the debug menu to look for this, I'll try to find. But when I use the lua script, when set to manual, it displays these values. Are not these what we are looking for?

P         2   32772   STL
VIDEO_COLOR_SWAP     14   2611   VID
NIGHT_SNAPSHOT     36   32781   STL
SCN_FOLIAGE        38   16405   STL

@srsa_4c
I have confirmed using the debug method you indicated, that the numbers obtained with the script are the right propcase numbers. So we need someone to correct them.

P --> 32772
VIDEO_COLOR_SWAP --> 2611
NIGHT_SNAPSHOT --> 32781
SCN_FOLIAGE --> 16405