A490 Porting - page 7 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A490 Porting

• 224 Replies

Offline tpont

Re: A490 Porting
« Reply #60 on: 01 / October / 2011, 19:05:50 »
Advertisements
Ok, I now have a490-100f-0.9.9-1351-full_BETA.zip running on my 1.00f camera. I've enabled remote triggering in the CHDK menu on the camera. I've also made a USB trigger based on this instruction http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote_Cable . Instead of batteries I use an old 4V power adapter for a phone ( "4V/150mA" it says).

Here is the problem: when I trigger power on with my hardware button the camera takes a picture but then pulls the lens back and the text "change the batteries" blinks before all is black. That happens almost every time. I think it is related to how long the power is switched on. If I power on off very quickly no photo is taken, the camera only focuses.

Does this sound familiar? Any solution for it?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #61 on: 01 / October / 2011, 22:22:41 »
Instead of batteries I use an old 4V power adapter for a phone ( "4V/150mA" it says).
Unfortunately that may only mean that it supplies 4V when the current is 150mA. In case it's not a regulated DC supply, the output voltage could be significantly higher. Make sure the idle output voltage is below 5V (measure it). Also, some of these adapters (while still called a DC supply) supply rectified sine voltage (for example Nokia's old "charger" which has 3.7V written on it if I remember correctly), which is highly inappropriate for this kind of use.
Better use 3x 1.5V batteries.

« Reply #62 on: 01 / October / 2011, 22:44:49 »
Here is the problem: when I trigger power on with my hardware button the camera takes a picture but then pulls the lens back and the text "change the batteries" blinks before all is black. That happens almost every time. I think it is related to how long the power is switched on. If I power on off very quickly no photo is taken, the camera only focuses.

Does this sound familiar? Any solution for it?
Like srsa_4c,  I'm instantly suspicious of most recycled  "power supplies".

So,  to do a test, connect a USB cable between your camera and computer and use that to test your setup. Plug the cable in at the computer and then (quickly) pull it out.  What happens ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline tpont

« Reply #63 on: 02 / October / 2011, 03:59:49 »
Hi srsa_4c and waterwingz. Thanks for the replies. I switched to a bundle of three small A13 batteries (1,5V each). Now it works. I notice that I have press the button twice (once to focus, once to shoot) and that the focus press must be timed right. Is there some way around that, like a script, that turns one slight press into the pair of actions focus + shoot?

« Reply #64 on: 02 / October / 2011, 10:18:48 »
I notice that I have press the button twice (once to focus, once to shoot) and that the focus press must be timed right. Is there some way around that, like a script, that turns one slight press into the pair of actions focus + shoot?
In the Remote Parameters menu,  select both Enable Remote on the first line and  Enable Remote under the line where it says synchable remote.    In that mode, the camera focuses when you apply power to the USB port and shoots when that power is removed.

Or you could use a script - here's an example : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6812.msg72682#msg72682

UPDATE : fixed the link to point to the correct script
« Last Edit: 02 / October / 2011, 12:14:55 by waterwingz »

Offline tpont

« Reply #65 on: 02 / October / 2011, 11:47:02 »
I enabled that setting. Now it works like you described. But: there is a 2-3 second delay after triggering the button (the screen goes black in the interval). I've tried fiddling with shutter speed in override settings (on the first submenu, don't remember the menu name now as I don't have the camera with me here).

The script you linked to is above my experience level ATM, so if there is a way to fix this using only the menu settings then I'm all ears. Thanks again for the replies.

« Reply #66 on: 02 / October / 2011, 12:13:59 »
I just played with it a bit myself.   The screen goes blank as soon as the camera has focused - if I release the USB power at that exact moment,  the camera takes a picture immediately.

However, I found things were more complicated if the camera's flash is enabled. I got all kinds of timing related unreliable results.  Haven't figured that sequence out yet.

Also,  the link I posted is wrong.  You need this link : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6812.msg72682#msg72682.  Click where it says "Select",  press CTRL-C to copy to the clipboard, open an editor (like Notepad), press CTRL-V to paste and then save the resulting file as remote.bas  You then put the remote.bas file into the CHDK/SCRIPTS directory on your SD card, start the camera,  go to <ALT> mode, go to the scripting menu and load the remote.bas file.  Press the shutter and the script will run.

Offline tpont

« Reply #67 on: 06 / October / 2011, 17:09:18 »
I have the script running (thanks!) but I still get the long lag before the shot fires.

« Reply #68 on: 06 / October / 2011, 17:46:05 »
I'm seeing something similar on my SD940.  I've started looking through the USB remote code in kbd.c and tried a few things without much success.   The delay is exactly 10 seconds unless I toggle the USB power - which makes me think its a timeout problem.   I'll keep looking.

« Reply #69 on: 12 / October / 2011, 18:46:01 »
sorry for repeating
but
Some news about porting on firmware E?