DIY 48 Led Macro Ringlight for $10 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

DIY 48 Led Macro Ringlight for $10

• 10 Replies

Offline Ruta9

DIY 48 Led Macro Ringlight for $10
« on: 07 / May / 2010, 16:06:53 »
Advertisements
Ever wanted to shoot macro and didn't have the right light?
Don't want to spend a lot of money on a ringlight?
Then build your own like I did!

spot the 7 differences ;)

I wrote a fully detailed instructable. if you want to read it click the following link
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-48-LED-Macro-Ring-Light-for-SLR-for-10/

See how it performs

Natural light coming from a window

Flash

DIY Ringlight
« Last Edit: 07 / May / 2010, 16:12:37 by Ruta9 »

Offline hotvedt

• A540/SX110IS/350D
Re: DIY 48 Led Macro Ringlight for $10
« Reply #1 on: 07 / May / 2010, 18:32:36 »
Thank you for sharing.
I have been thinking of something similar for a while.
More sample photos would be nice (like for example an human eye closeup).

Offline Ruta9

« Reply #2 on: 07 / May / 2010, 18:46:35 »
OK, these are my own eyes, taken handheld. It's really hard to focus properly when you can't see through the view finder.

Offline hotvedt

• A540/SX110IS/350D
« Reply #3 on: 08 / May / 2010, 03:53:01 »
This is really good. Thanks for the sample, Ruta9!

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 08 / May / 2010, 19:03:41 »
nice instructable, will definitly check that out!

Offline colinbm

• Canons S2IS Infrared, S5IS, A570 pair, SIGMA DP2
« Reply #5 on: 13 / June / 2010, 05:57:14 »
I have just made up a Ring Light for my Canon S5 IS very similar to this one.
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy-macro-lighting-led-ring.
I have used 3 rings = 83 surface mounted LEDs. Not too bright either. I had a previous bought one with 48 LEDs & it wasn't bright enough.
For the S5 IS I used the Dealextreme
http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.LED%20White%20Light%20Car%20Angle%20Eye
70 mm = 70mm OD X 53 mm ID.
90 mm = 90mm OD X 73mm ID.
120mm = 120mm OD X 103mm ID.
I have the Lensmate 52 mm lens adapter. http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html
I did have to grind with a Dremel the inside diameter of the 70mm ring to make it 55mm ID to make it fit the Lensmate. This has to be done carefully as the soldier track is the same size, but it makes a smug fit on the Lensmate !
Next I cut some flute board (like corrigated cardboard but of plastic) to 120mm OD X 55mm ID & mounted the rings of LEDs to that with doublesided foam tape placed between the resistors on the rear.
Don't forget to make 3 holes 5mm for the wires to pass through.
I connected these rings to a A23 12 volt battery.
I didn't need a frosted cover.
Lights up like a beauty :-)

Cheers
Col

Offline colinbm

• Canons S2IS Infrared, S5IS, A570 pair, SIGMA DP2
« Reply #6 on: 05 / July / 2010, 03:21:18 »
I have now got one set like this.
70 mm = 70mm OD X 53 mm ID.
90 mm = 90mm OD X 73mm ID.
110mm = 110mm OD X 93mm ID.
140mm = 140mm OD X 123mm ID.

Another set like this.
60mm = 60 x 43mm.
80mm = 80 x 63mm.
100mm = 100 x 83mm.
120mm = 120 x 103mm.
140mm = 140mm x 123mm.

I have found another source for the different sizes, but exactually the same construction.
http://www.dinodirect.com/se-car-angel-light-typeid-7620/
Cheers
Col

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #7 on: 03 / November / 2010, 09:21:58 »

« Reply #8 on: 03 / November / 2010, 14:09:26 »
Nicely crafted.

If you photograph a grey or white card, are you able to completely correct the blue colour cast the leds give ?

In other words, if you hover an image editor colour sampler icon over the white or grey areas, can you get the RGB values more or less equal to each other ?

David

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #9 on: 04 / November / 2010, 14:29:36 »
If you photograph a grey or white card, are you able to completely correct the blue colour cast the leds give ? In other words, if you hover an image editor colour sampler icon over the white or grey areas, can you get the RGB values more or less equal to each other ?
Finally found time to test the white balance (WB) characteristics using this ring light. I used my SX20 IS for the test. I tested different scenarios: with the WB set to Auto WB (in daylight only), using a "White" card and using a DGC-100 Digital Gray Card (from Robin Myers Imaging). I shot using DNGs to compare JPG vs DNGs. This was a multi-step process because I wanted to compare results with this particular camera and abilities of the ring light.

Daylight (cloudy day)
 - Tested with white card to setup the custom WB
 - Tested with gray card to setup the custom WB
 - Tested with Auto WB (AWB)

Ring light
 - Tested with white card to setup the custom WB
 - Tested with gray card to setup the custom WB

Testing results

1 - WB comparisons daylight vs Ring light. Overall, the daylight custom WB and ring light custom WB compared favorably as long as the white card was postioned close to the focal plane of the object (see note that follows) and you used fresh batteries. The custom WB resulted in better color rendition than my original photos when I used the camera's built in "daylight" setting. Since I didn't design this setup to be used with an AC power source I wasn't able to test the effect this might have, however I would expect an AC power source to perform more reliably.

2 - Custom WB setup when using Ring light vs distance to object. During the setup of the custom WB using the ring light it is very important to place the white card relatively close to the focal plane of the object you will be shooting. Color variances that occurred at different distances from the lense was noticeable and had an effect on the WB. Since the light source isn't as strong as commercial ring lights, this is a trade off with this setup.

3 - Determine the best way to set the custom WB on the SX20. The SX20 Camera Users Guide recommends using a "white" card to set the custom WB. I compared these results with the gray card and Auto WB (AWB) of the camera. The white card resulted in the best color rendition, followed by the AWB. The gray card tended to render a warm tone (slightly off white) results. Conclusions: a) Definitely use a white card for this camera 2) daylight conditions can vary enough that setting a custom WB might be desirable in some cases.

4 - Custom WB comparisons DNGs vs JPGs. I compared the daylight custom WB to the ring light custom WB and found the DNG results to be reasonably close. Comparing the JPG results varied due to the JPG processing by the camera. I would recommend shooting DNG photos for the most accurate color results.

Sorry about the length of this reply. It seems that when I start out to test one thing, I keep coming up with more things I want to test as well....