Using a computer mouse with multi-buttons to access camera commands ? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Using a computer mouse with multi-buttons to access camera commands ?

• 7 Replies

Offline colinbm

• Canons S2IS Infrared, S5IS, A570 pair, SIGMA DP2
Advertisements
Thanks you to all the developers of CHDK.
I have just found this group CHDK in the last couple of days & I am very enthusiastic to get started.
I have S2IS f/ware 100g & S5IS f/ware 101b.
I had a lot of trouble finding the Firmware number, but thanks to "ACID" it was a dream once I found you.
I am now making a mini-usb remote shutter release.
Has anyone gone down the path of using a multi-button mouse to operate the camera ? Such as 1/2 press auto-focus, shutter release, zoom in & out, manual focus & macro etc ?

Cheers
Col

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
i dont know how a mouse works in detail, but you have at least these obstacles: where to get power for the mouse? and how to translate the clicks of the mouse into commands ("bursts of power" if you will) CHDK can understand?

Offline colinbm

Thanks PhyrePhoX
The power would be 3 X 1.5 volt button cells inside the mouse, DIY fashioned.
This is how the mini-usb remote is powered.
How to translate the clicks of the mouse into commands, is what I don't know ?
A usb mouse only has 4 wires too, so it has to understand these "bursts of power" & convert them into comands somewhere ?
Cheers
Col

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
well, a usb mouse has the usb protocol, it "speaks" with the pc via a driver. the usb protocol is something we cannot control via chdk.

Offline colinbm

Thanks PhyrePhoX
OK I was hoping, dreaming !
So, using these remote shutter releases, you need to half-press on camera for auto-focus, then use the remote to release the shutter.
Cheers
Col

Offline colinbm

Thanks thepanoguy
I started this morning to make a remote shutter release & needed a momentary switch, which I knew the mouse has a few inside. But I didn't want to wreck a mouse for one switch, but it got me wondering about using a mouse on the camera with a mini-usb plug.
I have now got a very limited understanding of the workings of a mouse.
PS/2 & USB mice both only have 4 wires !
Power 5v & ground, data & clock. This is very high tech for me, but I can see something.
So the data & clock gives the code for each button.
I just have to hope this is translateable to CHDK ?? Please.
Cheers
Col

Offline colinbm

Just to expand on this, if it is ever possible. A wireless mouse with the receiver plugged into the camera with a mini-usb-dongle, we would be unfetted from our cameras for the shot at least !
Cheers
Col