36+ SD870 Timelapse System - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

36+ SD870 Timelapse System

• 3 Replies
36+ SD870 Timelapse System
« on: 21 / May / 2010, 13:46:23 »
Advertisements
Hello

I am currently trying to update and improve the camera system that out lab uses to generate time-lapse video of plant growth.  Our current system is using eye-fi cards with the Ultra Intervolameter script.  We take images every 20 minutes and have them upload to our server.  We have found a lot of problems with the eye-fi as many of you know, but the biggest problem is the camera statbility.  We have to touch the cameras every week to delete the photos of the cards.  The camera then shift and changes are frame alignment.  We are useing autoalign software (hugin) and manaully aligning the images now.

What I want to create is a system that uses wirelesss/extended usb hub so that we do not have to worry about the eye-fi or touch the cameras.  It seems that all of the elements are here for me to make a script to Remote shoot via usb, download image imediately, then upload to our server.

The script would read off a list of cameras that it should tell to take photos,  it will then search for that camera over usb (gphoto2?), turn it on, take a picture, download the images, send it, and then move on to the next camera.  Is it required to have a memory card for remote shooting if there is a usb connection, and does all of the latter seem feasible?

Any comments and thoughts?
Thanks for your patience and I am excited for the feed back.

P.S. My concerns are connecting so many cameras to one computer.  Is it possible to cycle through them and turn them off/on one by one. Thanks

Offline reyalp

Re: 36+ SD870 Timelapse System
« Reply #1 on: 22 / May / 2010, 02:23:22 »
Have you tried deleting the old files from script ? You do this in lua.

The camera may still become unstable or have problems after many photos have been taken, but if you have some way of restarting them, that would probably take care of it. I'm not sure if there is a currently practical way to reboot from script, but it should be possible to add.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 24 / May / 2010, 10:33:36 »
I have looked into lua and will probably try that down the line.  I just want to get ride of eye-fi interface as well since the more we expand the harder it will be keep track of which card are where in the chambers and where they are suppose to be dumped on our server.  Thanks.  Any other takers?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 24 / May / 2010, 23:13:29 »
You can check out the experimental PTP interface: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,4338.0.html
This may require some hacking.

I know there are wireless USB extenders of various sorts, but don't have any experience with the. An alternative might be to locate some cheap devices near the cameras (netbooks, or maybe *wrt APs if you can get libptp to run on them) and have them send the data back wirelessly.
Don't forget what the H stands for.