Powershot A560 Is there a limit of Card Size? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Powershot A560 Is there a limit of Card Size?

• 4 Replies

Offline NSS

Powershot A560 Is there a limit of Card Size?
« on: 23 / May / 2010, 10:21:21 »
Advertisements
In a Powershot A560, is there a limit of SD card size it will use.  especially in Video Mode. Is there a recording time limit other than full memory?

Thanks Everyone!

Joe
nss@mwt.net

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Powershot A560 Is there a limit of Card Size?
« Reply #1 on: 23 / May / 2010, 10:45:07 »
In a Powershot A560, is there a limit of SD card size it will use.  especially in Video Mode. Is there a recording time limit other than full memory?

If my memory serves, a560 is a stripped down peer of the a570 and as such it would accept a 16 GiB SDHC card and record video up to the maximum FAT file size of ...umm... 2 GiB?

Offline NSS

« Reply #2 on: 23 / May / 2010, 14:27:11 »
Ok,  Thanks for the start of diagnosing what i can do with this camera.

At first this was several years ago now we flew this camera on one of our High Altitude balloons. With a 16 gig card and it taking a picture every, 15 seconds. a slide show i made into a video and is posted on you tube, you can watch it there.
NSS-48-SlideShow.avi

Ok now onto video mode

Now this camera has a capability that i have not found any other camera can do. and that is even while it is recording.  the out put composite video is live!  AWESOME!  It is sending out composite video while it is recording!

A 16 gig card it says can store a little over 2 hours of video.  but i was not sure of what happens when the card gets full.  or the batteries run out.  so I ran this test.

I tested the camera many ways before flight.

Like this was with a 2 GIG card.  Diddn't want to wait for over 2 hours to see what happens when the memory card gets full.  But with a 2 gig card this only takes 17 minutes.

OK,

Test #1- What happens when card gets full while recording?

Nothing, it gets to the end, a message appears, and says memory card is full. And stops recording,  but the composite output keeps outputting. And the video is fine and saved on the SD Card.
Very Good.

Test #2-  What happens if the batteries die while recording?

Same thing. it gets to the point where the battery low indicator has been flashing for a long time. and then stops recording. And the camera shuts down. But the video file is fine and saved ok. But the camera does shut down. so the composite video stops.

So this looks great for our flight.

But this is what happened during the flight..
You can see liftoff from the payload here,
NSS-50Launch.wmv
and a nice news item from a local TV station,

http://video.nbc15.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4808737&h1=VIDEO%3A+Balloon+Captures+Images+from+Space+6pm+news+5%2F22%2F2010&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=40656&LaunchPageAdTag=News&fvCatNo&backgroundImageURL&activePane=info&rnd=79808412

Launch happened and everything is fine. 40 minutes into the flight. I see the message (busy) this it does when it's saving the last of a file and closing it. And after the busy went away, it stopped recording but was still acting as a camera for the ATV transmitter. so  Ok,  Not great but  still good images from the ATV tranny.

Then about two minutes later the signal go to black.  Transmitter is still transmitting..  but it's transmitting a solid perfect black picture.  not one sparkie or nothing!  GRRRR!  This would be some awesome clear video.  oh well.

Flight finishes and payload is recovered, and upon opening it is noticed that the camera is still runing.  hmmmm?  it has not shut down.
It was a 16 gig card and it only has used 4 gigs of it.

sooo anyone have any idea as to what happened?  anyone willing to take a guess?

Is the above mentioned 2 Gig a size limiting factor?  but actually was 4 Gig?

And if this is indeed the case.  could a script be made that tells it to shoot say 30 minutes of video,  save it,,  shoot 30 more,  save it,  shoot 30 more,  and do so till memory is all used up?  a possibility to fix this problem?

Thanks

Joe
Joe WB9SBD

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #3 on: 23 / May / 2010, 16:20:08 »
Yes, the file size limit is probably 4 GiB. After that the camera stops recording and Canon's power saving features will either power off the camera or just set display off, which means the sensor is off and video output obviously is disabled too.

To make sure composite video output doesn't ever get cut, have CHDK disable all power saving (and test that you succeeded, of course).

But yes, you can most definitely write a simple script that presses the shutter every now and then to stop and restart video record. Just make sure to add enough delay before the restart shutter press as it may take a while for the camera to finish writing a large video file when you stop and it probably won't act on premature attempts to restart record. You should make a complete dry run with the same exact SD card you'll be using, of course.

Offline NSS

« Reply #4 on: 23 / May / 2010, 16:55:44 »
This is awesome!  I'm terrible with the scripting.  Would it be too much a bother to ask you to make one up for me?  'll give you full credit if needed or wanted.

Joe nss@mwt.net