sx120 dust under the lens - General Chat - CHDK Forum  

sx120 dust under the lens

• 3 Replies
sx120 dust under the lens
« on: 06 / April / 2010, 12:15:56 »
Advertisements
If there's a better forum for this (I haven't seen one) please let me know.

I've had an SX120is since before xmas and have been helping out with the CHDK port and I've been noticing more and more particles of dust *under* the lens over time.

The one thread on the net that mentioned such a problem with Canon cameras said this isn't an uncommon problem with cameras that have large lenses that retract and suggested attempting to suck the dust out with a vacuum cleaner.  Carefully.

I've had no luck with that and Canon has suggested sending it in to the nearest repair center but won't say if it's going to be covered under warranty.

Anyone else seen this problem?  If you aren't sure, in bright sunlight, turn on the camera and extend the lens all the way and see if you can see particles under the lens.  It'll be fairly obvious as the dust will be below the top of the lens if there's any under there at all.

Re: sx120 dust under the lens
« Reply #1 on: 06 / April / 2010, 16:31:34 »
There is a website for the famous E18 error. The problem is another, but may be caused by sand, dust, ... in the lens. Maybe compressed air helps: http://www.e18error.com/repair.html, 2).

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #2 on: 06 / April / 2010, 19:33:48 »
most of the times the dust does not have negative effects on the quality of the images. it certainly does not justify opening your camera trying to clean it, as that often times will either brick the cam or will lead to more dust being inside the camera ;)

« Reply #3 on: 27 / May / 2010, 21:13:13 »
My previous sx120 had that same problem, it was such a pain to fix it but thank God I was still under warranty and got it fixed so now whenever my camera lags when zooming I cringe and start cleaning it @@;