D10 porting thread

• 131 Replies

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: D10 porting thread
« Reply #60 on: 10 / August / 2010, 01:00:50 »
Advertisements
I noticed that the OSD is crushed on the left. It seems that its resolution is half that of the screen.
Does it help when you move the OSD element(s) with the OSD layout editor ?

« Reply #61 on: 10 / August / 2010, 06:40:41 »
I do not have a similar observation. Can you post a photo of your crushed OSD?

A picture with SPORT grid turned on:

Does it help when you move the OSD element(s) with the OSD layout editor ?

I can move the OSD items using the layout editor and partly I solved. But the grid and histogram appear to be crushed.

Canon EOS 5d Mark II, Canon EOS 50d and Canon Powershot D10

Offline reyalp

« Reply #62 on: 10 / August / 2010, 12:39:42 »
This is expected for grids, the OSD is 720 rather than 360 pixels wide. You can make new grids for this resolution if you want. There might be a few floating around for other cameras with higher resolution OSDs.

This also explains why the aspect ratio of the histogram is wrong.

Some of this may be fixed in code at some point.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #63 on: 12 / August / 2010, 12:52:49 »
Check the sd780 or sx200 forums, one of them had a link to some grids that fit the same size display, I just can't remember which one off the top of my head.
@Reyalp, the ult_intrvl.bas script also works well on this camera. Nice job,
Dan
SD780, SX200, SX1, SD890 and SD980 - O.K. Way too many cameras, not enough photos!

« Reply #64 on: 18 / August / 2010, 13:30:52 »
How many bits-per-pixel is the D10?
Do you have a feel for how high you're prepared to put the ISO for decent results?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #65 on: 18 / August / 2010, 18:52:36 »
How many bits-per-pixel is the D10?
The raw buffer 12 bpp, which doesn't mean there are 12 significant bits of data.
Do you have a feel for how high you're prepared to put the ISO for decent results?
80  >:( More seriously, it seems to be about the same as most of the recent Ixus. 1:1 even at 80 ISO shows both noise reduction artifacts and noise. Anything higher is worse. What is acceptable depends what you do with it.

« Reply #66 on: 18 / August / 2010, 19:59:49 »
The raw buffer 12 bpp, which doesn't mean there are 12 significant bits of data.
Fair enough, but is anyone doing the analysis of the RAW data to determine how many significant bits there are? Are the least significant bits 0 or do they seem random at the moment?

1:1 even at 80 ISO shows both noise reduction artifacts and noise. Anything higher is worse. What is acceptable depends what you do with it.
Noise reduction artifacts visible in the RAW data?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #67 on: 18 / August / 2010, 20:17:18 »
Fair enough, but is anyone doing the analysis of the RAW data to determine how many significant bits there are?
The linked post by ewavr explains it. Effectively, it's about 10 bits. (I haven't verified that this is true on D10, but I bet it is)
Noise reduction artifacts visible in the RAW data?
No, only the jpeg. The raw just has noise.

« Reply #68 on: 18 / August / 2010, 20:25:29 »
Arg. Still getting used to the style used here for links: didn't recognise there was a link in your previous post, sorry!

« Reply #69 on: 19 / August / 2010, 02:46:46 »
A big thanks for your work so far reyalp!

I set up a card based on your test4 build and took it with me when visiting a camera store. Got to play with a D10 for ~10 minutes, and although there are some obvious rough edges (screen scaling for a start) I am impressed. The rumour-mill says a replacement for the D10 is likely to be announced in association with Photokina next month, but I can't imagine CHDK would be ported to it before the start of November (when I'll need a pocket UW camera) so I expect I'll be purchasing a D10 soon on the basis of this port.

Like many others here I'm keen to see your next build and the eventual integration into the autobuilds. Thanks again!