D10 porting thread - page 11 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

D10 porting thread

• 131 Replies
Re: D10 porting thread
« Reply #100 on: 27 / February / 2011, 18:17:02 »
Advertisements
That's with the full card, correct ? If so, looks like free memory is not our problem.
Can you tell me approximately how many images are in the DCIM/* directories ?
Yes, with the full card.
513 JPGs in 13 DCIM/*CANON directories, 18 AVIs, and 50 CTG and THM files

« Reply #101 on: 27 / February / 2011, 22:51:41 »
I've attached a short video (Plays in VLC) showing poweron behavior of the D10 with the autobuild CHDK.

"Short power button taps" will occasionally result in successful poweron in playback mode, sometimes once after a previous complete powerup, then not for several attempts.

"Long power on tap" means "hold until the power light illuminates, then release immediately".  If done this way, it always starts in record mode.  :D  However, if the power button is held a bit longer than that, the camera will occasionally turn itself OFF, but I'm uncertain of the exact timing of that...

(Conditions: all camera settings reset to defaults, CHDK options "reset to default", nearly full 1GB Lexar SD card)

(I've been unable to get the D10 to "update firmware" starting from a fresh, blank 2GB SD card. More results later.)

« Reply #102 on: 27 / February / 2011, 23:50:41 »
Update - I  was unable to get a 2GB SD card to be able to perform either ver.req/vers.req or to install update firmware, when formatted in-camera. 
But CardTricks144.exe formatted it, made it bootable, and installed the autobuild CHDK.  It starts reliably, and I'm currently testing the attached intr-unl.bas interval script.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #103 on: 28 / February / 2011, 02:28:15 »
Sounds like starting method isn't a factor.

20 MB free ? Is the rest all image files ? The number of files on the card can have a significant effect, both on free RAM and startup time.

Can you start chdk, go to "miscellaneous stuff" -> "show memory info" and report the results ?

It would be good to know if the problem happens with an empty card. I'd try removing the files first, and if that doesn't resolve it, format.

If either of those does resolve it, you can try copying the files back to see if the problem re-appears.

Hi reyalp,

Not sure if it's related; but I had a similar issue with the G12. If there were a lot of images or movies on the card, the camera would sometimes crash / shutdown when starting up. This happened most often if starting up with the mode dial set to movie mode.

What I found (partly by accident) is that setting address 0x193c to point to an empty function (at the same time 0x1938 is set to point to taskHook) seems to fix the problem.

Looking through the firmware these addresses (0x1938 and 0x193c on the G12) seem to be used by 'watchdog' timer code (at least that's what the code gets named in IDA). My theory is that the watchdog timers that were set up during the pre-CHDK boot process are still active and, under some startup conditions, get triggered before all the CHDK initialisation is finished, and with all the changes made by CHDK they crash. (This is just a working hypothesis and could be complete rubbish).

Looking at the D10 dump the equivalent addresses appear to be 0x1934 (which you already hooking) and 0x1938. Maybe setting 0x1938 to point to an empty taskHook function might help.

Regards,
Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #104 on: 02 / March / 2011, 13:20:11 »
Sounds like starting method isn't a factor.

20 MB free ? Is the rest all image files ? The number of files on the card can have a significant effect, both on free RAM and startup time.

Can you start chdk, go to "miscellaneous stuff" -> "show memory info" and report the results ?

It would be good to know if the problem happens with an empty card. I'd try removing the files first, and if that doesn't resolve it, format.

If either of those does resolve it, you can try copying the files back to see if the problem re-appears.

Hi reyalp,

Not sure if it's related; but I had a similar issue with the G12. If there were a lot of images or movies on the card, the camera would sometimes crash / shutdown when starting up. This happened most often if starting up with the mode dial set to movie mode.

What I found (partly by accident) is that setting address 0x193c to point to an empty function (at the same time 0x1938 is set to point to taskHook) seems to fix the problem.

Looking through the firmware these addresses (0x1938 and 0x193c on the G12) seem to be used by 'watchdog' timer code (at least that's what the code gets named in IDA). My theory is that the watchdog timers that were set up during the pre-CHDK boot process are still active and, under some startup conditions, get triggered before all the CHDK initialisation is finished, and with all the changes made by CHDK they crash. (This is just a working hypothesis and could be complete rubbish).

Do you get a crash error in romlog of fsionotify ?
if yes, this problem happen not only during boot.On Ixus 1000 i get that on raw shoot continue, when long exposure time, with canon  dark frame subtraction.depend on Card speed, SX10 users report problem too.

also when i want switch with ptpcam mode 1

you tell its a watchdog, the notify for a filesystem is maybe put here.
my theory, maybe all 2 timers are active and timer 1 task hook code is not finish and timer 2 task hook code is call.because task hook is not thread safe -> crash
« Last Edit: 02 / March / 2011, 13:22:01 by Bernd R »
Ixus 1000 HS

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #105 on: 03 / March / 2011, 02:57:06 »
Do you get a crash error in romlog of fsionotify ?

Yes; but there are many places in the firmware that this could come from. You need to look at the line number of the error in the romlog and search for that in the firmware. Just because two crashes are both in fsnotify doesn't mean they are related problems.

if yes, this problem happen not only during boot.On Ixus 1000 i get that on raw shoot continue, when long exposure time, with canon  dark frame subtraction.depend on Card speed, SX10 users report problem too.

I don't have this problem on the G12...

also when i want switch with ptpcam mode 1

... or this one.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #106 on: 08 / March / 2011, 03:07:53 »
Are you starting the camera with the play button or power button ? If the power button, are you using a short press or long press (long will start directly in record mode).
Both press durations result in a non-boot.  The short press begins to show play mode, but boot stops.  Long press begins to show record mode, but then the screen goes black in a non-boot.

It now seems that after "reset options", changing ANY CHDK menu items, resulting in creation of CCHDK.CFG, results in a non-boot at next powerup, with either short or long powerbutton press, with either the latest autobuild or your custom build.

I don't know if this matters, but the flash card I'm using is 1GB, with 20MB free.
This is the same issue I was reporting in July on page 3 of this thread. I was tearing my hair out formatting & reformatting & deleting images/videos and locking and unlocking the card just to get it to boot so I could take RAWs.
Although I did not find a proper fix, I did work out how to make it reliably crash or not crash - it turned out to be the style I was pressing the power button. This may help you cleverer types find the real problem.
If I turned the camera on with a short press, it would start OK.
If I turned the camera on with a VERY short press, it would begin to start, then go to a black screen.
Now, both these presses are short. 1/5 sec v. 1/20 sec or so (illustrative - not measured).
Anyway, once I realised the style of pressing the button made the difference I did not suffer again.

Hope that helps shed some light on the matter...

« Reply #107 on: 08 / March / 2011, 04:44:19 »
HI
I also got a D10 1.00B and wanted to state a problem, don't know if that relates to the firmware difference.
The set_resolution command is only able to set image resolution to max (12MP) or worst (2MP). all values in between seem to have no effect (0-8). any ideas?

If there's still the need for a dump of the 1.00B firmware i can upload it.

Thanks
Cheers
Daniel

Online reyalp

« Reply #108 on: 09 / March / 2011, 00:31:41 »
HI
I also got a D10 1.00B and wanted to state a problem, don't know if that relates to the firmware difference.
Unlikely. In general it will either work, or not boot at all.
The set_resolution command is only able to set image resolution to max (12MP) or worst (2MP). all values in between seem to have no effect (0-8). any ideas?
That is strange.

set_rosolution just does  shooting_set_prop(PROPCASE_RESOLUTION, value). PROPCASE_RESOLUTION is 218 on this camera.

Watching the value of this as I change resolution using the menu shows
L = 0, M1 = 1, M2 = 2, M3 = 3, S = 5,  W = 8

The propcase viewer is available in the misc->debug menu, see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Debug_Parameters

See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PropertyCase for general information about propcases.
If there's still the need for a dump of the 1.00B firmware i can upload it.
Not urgently needed, but it would be nice to have one.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #109 on: 12 / April / 2011, 16:13:45 »
Testing the D10 with CHDK last weekend but didn't enable in camera DNG conversion (because the bad pixel script is missing and I forgot to go find it first).  I can't find an external converter that works and internal processing only seems to be available if I want JPG output.

Is it too late to convert these RAWs to DNGs?

i