Passive Infrared Detector - motion detector - page 22 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Passive Infrared Detector - motion detector

• 314 Replies
Re: Passive Infrared Detector - motion detector
« Reply #210 on: 18 / June / 2010, 12:50:45 »
Advertisements
I have been fumbling with the routine of getting started, but haven't got it right enough to remember the correct sequence yet.

Col, this is what is puzzling me.
What is there to remember, you just turn the camera on  ?

Unless you are now trying to set it up for real shooting.

David
« Last Edit: 18 / June / 2010, 14:14:04 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #211 on: 18 / June / 2010, 13:34:12 »
Col,

Thanks for the explanation.
What hardware are you working with for the USB wireless remote? I've built one using a slightly modified store bought remote door bell. It was easy to modify and works very well.

I am currently working on a really unique concept in a wired USB remote. The parts are on order, the circuit had been designed and tested, and shortly I should have some samples to photograph and show off on the forum.
I intend to start selling the wired remotes in the near future. I see a market because I've seen many postintgs from people asking how to get a remote.

My design is very clever and allows for a multi-use device. I don't want to say too much right now because I need to build up my samples and see if the design works well. The next obstacle is finding the parts cheaper so I can keep the cost down.

Assembly should be simple, I may build up small PC boards to install the components on to. We will see.

Gregg

« Reply #212 on: 18 / June / 2010, 13:58:40 »
Col,
Thanks for the explanation.

In other words, forgetting about motion-detection, why does the standard SDM not work on Col's S5IS ?

You would need to check if SDM 1.83 and/or the other posted builds work on your camera.

David

« Reply #213 on: 18 / June / 2010, 15:31:48 »
In other words, forgetting about motion-detection, why does the standard SDM not work on Col's S5IS ?

You would need to check if SDM 1.83 and/or the other posted builds work on your camera.

Hopefully tonight when I check out all the iterations of software you gave to Col to test, we'll find out why. I fully intend to perform the tests this evening. I will post the results from each iteration so that I can help you determine the root cause of the problem.

I was just wondering what Col was up to with the project he was working on.

Gregg
« Last Edit: 18 / June / 2010, 15:40:02 by gsbergman »

Offline colinbm

• Canons S2IS Infrared, S5IS, A570 pair, SIGMA DP2
« Reply #214 on: 18 / June / 2010, 21:04:31 »
Hi David & Gregg
thepanoguy has been helping me with a radio control shutter release. It is nearly the same as a doorbell, just better packaged. A garage door like transmitter & the reciever was a joke "Burp Machine", so has the speaker & some circuits removed. The item was only $5.
The wired & wireless remotes are to help me to get steadier snaps, as even on a tripod I generate too much movement. I like crisp shots.

I don't have a specific narrow use for the Motion Detection, just fun photography in a new way.
With all the new possabilities with SDM & CHDK, I just have to be patient & learn just this one first.

Cheers
Col

Offline colinbm

« Reply #215 on: 18 / June / 2010, 23:28:00 »
Hi Guys
Just out of interest, when I started making these USB attachments for the camera I thought of a way to make sure I got the output right before plugging into the camera.
I used a female Breakout Board for USB miniB by Sparkfun.
sku: BOB-08401 
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8401
I soldered a LED across the VCC & GND contacts to check polarity & gives a visual OK.
Cheers
Col

« Reply #216 on: 19 / June / 2010, 00:36:39 »
Col and David,

Here are the results of my testing. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. I hope this info is of value to David to help troubleshoot Col's problem.

1.83-148-s5is-101b-57 - Booted up to 1.83 and ran SDM fine.

SDM_1.84_s5is_101b - Booted up to 1.84 and ran SDM fine.

DISKBOOT.BIN1.75 - Booted up to StereoData Maker ver. 1.75 and ran SDM fine.

DISKBOOT.BIN1.80 - Booted up to StereoData Maker ver. 1.80 and ran SDM fine.

DISKBOOT.BIN1.82 - Booted up to StereoData Maker ver. 1.82 and ran SDM fine.

MD5Sum Starting with 77fd16de - Booted up to 1.84 and ran SDM fine.

MD5Sum Starting with a7ebfaa4 - Booted up to 1.84 and ran SDM fine.

MD5Sum Starting with b43fa49a - Booted up to no splash screen and ran erratically sometimes crashing.

MD5Sum Starting with 22511773 - Booted up to a plain LCD with no text or splash screen, all the menu's were inoperative and would not take a picture. Had to open battery door to turn off.

MD5Sum Starting with 0988bce0 - Booted up to no splash screen and ran normal camera functions but no ALT menu or SDM. Would not take a picture, locked up.

MD5Sum Starting with 7e1b255b - Booted up to no splash screen and ran normal camera functions but no ALT menu or SDM. Would not take a picture, locked up.

MD5Sum Starting with 88b8669b - Booted up to 1.84 and ran normal camera functions. Would not take a picture, locked up.

MD5Sum Starting with 61197eb3 - Booted up to 1.84 and ran SDM fine.

MD5Sum Starting with ffed3224 - Booted up to 1.84 and ran SDM fine.

Best of luck figuring this out.
Gregg

Offline colinbm

« Reply #217 on: 19 / June / 2010, 00:42:07 »
Thanks Gregg
Now I have to repeat these results :-)
Col

« Reply #218 on: 19 / June / 2010, 00:58:08 »
Col,

You are quite welcome.

It took me a few hours to work through all the files and test the functionallity. David is a great guy and really went out of his way to help me. I really can not repay him for all his help, so this is nothing. Just glad I can help.
If you or David have any other tests you need, I'm here to help.

Cheers,
Gregg

Offline colinbm

« Reply #219 on: 19 / June / 2010, 01:14:42 »
Hi Gregg
I hope your USB remote is a multi-function output device ?
Manual focus, zoom, shutter release, that would be nice.
The S5 is my third (S1, S2, S5) Powershot & I haven't really been happy with the focus in auto.
You can see the focus go past the optimum before it stops & manuel focus is so difficult to do on the camera & the viewfinder is so coarse.
Cheers
Col