Passive Infrared Detector - motion detector - page 28 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Passive Infrared Detector - motion detector

• 314 Replies
Re: Passive Infrared Detector - motion detector
« Reply #270 on: 22 / June / 2010, 01:37:53 »
Advertisements
Hi David & Gregg
I just looked at getting a cheap Canon to try the SDM on but they are not on the CHDK list.
The cheapest is the Canon IXUS 110 IS Digital Camera - 12.1 Megapixel at $300. Not in my budget or choice of camera, & to get two to do stereo, impossible ! At least I looked. The Canon PowerShot A495 Digital Camera - 10 Megapixel is the cheapest at $133 or less, but not supported by CHDK ?

Col, have you tried on eBay? I've bought 3 of my Canon cameras off eBay (including my S5IS). If you can buy a model A570IS as they are on the list and are great cameras. I own two for stereo, running SDM and have had great luck with this model. I found them on eBay for under $75 US each. (one was actually $58 US)

Gregg

« Reply #271 on: 22 / June / 2010, 01:39:55 »
Col,

One last question.

What happens (or doesn't happen) when you use the ver.req to get the firmware version?

Gregg

Offline colinbm

• Canons S2IS Infrared, S5IS, A570 pair, SIGMA DP2
« Reply #272 on: 22 / June / 2010, 01:58:42 »
OK With an empty SD card with onlt ver.req.
Displayed when I press SET + DISP=

Canon PowerShot S5 IS
P-ID:3148 PAL D
Firmware Ver GM1.01B
No ERROR
JUN 14 2007  20:11:19

Col

Offline colinbm

« Reply #273 on: 22 / June / 2010, 03:03:46 »
Wow !!!!
Guess what I did differently ?????????
Before when I was floundering to get a handle on CHDK in my first days, even before I got to the Forum, it (the CHDK Wiki) said to open a text doc in the root directory on the SD card & call it ver.req.
This I did, & got no result other then the cameras 'usual' Firmware, ie Firmware Ver 1.0.1.0.
Now this time I tried something different & made a new Folder on the SD card & called it ver.req.
This worked, & brought up the actual Firmware GM1.01B.
Isn't that interesting :-) Does that have any significance ?
Col

« Reply #274 on: 22 / June / 2010, 05:07:35 »
Do you really mean a folder, rather than a plain text file called ver.req ?

You do not need a new camera to try SDM, you have the S5IS.

I am convinced there is nothing wrong with SDM.

What position is the mode lever in when you press the power button to turn-on the camera ?

It should be in the position against the camera icon, not the playback icon.

That will start in Record mode.

Offline colinbm

« Reply #275 on: 22 / June / 2010, 06:10:09 »
Hi David
Yes I really mean, right click, new, folder, & named it ver.req.
Before it was right click, new, text document & named it ver.req.

I only thought of another cheapy camera was so I could see what I should be getting my S5 to do.
Plus if the cheapy was any value, then two could be used for stereo, because I wouldn't be buying another S5, I don't think ?

I am sure there is nothing wrong with SDM the same as there is nothing wrong with CHDK ! BUT what ??

The S5 has a left turn for 'Record' with a red LED & right turn for 'Play' with a Green LED, to turn the camera on. In the centre is a depress button to turn off.
With the SDM SD card inserted, whether I turn on in Record or Play, it starts in Play, green LED, even though the physical lever is pointing to Record. A second push of the lever to record again will enter Record & the red LED.

Cheers
Col

« Reply #276 on: 22 / June / 2010, 06:53:34 »
We have to consider if it is likely your camera does not behave the same as other cameras with the same firmware.

If so, is it due to the user or some other reason ?

Gregg can boot his camera to record mode, he can use a ver.req text file, the screen does not keep blanking and all versions of SDM run perfectly.

Rather difficult to explain why your camera does not.

With the SD card unlocked (and SDM therefore disabled), can you turn-on the camera into Record mode ?

For stereo, it is best to use two cameras of the same type.

@Gregg

I really meant, can you confirm that normally the screen does not blank while running the MD script ?
« Last Edit: 22 / June / 2010, 06:55:58 by Microfunguy »

Offline colinbm

« Reply #277 on: 22 / June / 2010, 09:05:02 »
We have to consider if it is likely your camera does not behave the same as other cameras with the same firmware.

If so, is it due to the user or some other reason ?

Hi David, Gregg & Panoguy
I hope it is not the user :-(
I think I have followed all your instructions here pretty well, as these subjects (Photography, Computers & Electronics) are not my first language.
My background is Metal Working (Engineering) Yacht Building, Sailmaking & Sewing Machine Repairs.
None envolving computers.
My present hobby is Genealogy & Local History of a small town in southern NSW, where my Irish family first settled in the 1850s as well as all the other people & there descendants.
Photography is another hobby that I have only taken up for recreation & to do with the book I am writing.
I have always enjoyed learning new things & new ways of doing things as well.

Thank you all for helping me get some renewed enjoyment out of these exercises.

Yes I am aware that something odd is happening with my camera & I do hope the operater is not behaving oddly, but I have tried to stay on track & follow your guidance, to the letter.

Cheers
Col

PS. I did get the CHDK to load onto the camera before finding this forum.
« Last Edit: 22 / June / 2010, 09:08:42 by colinbm »

Offline colinbm

« Reply #278 on: 22 / June / 2010, 09:15:44 »
thepanoguy
I have made one little addition to the 'Burper' remote.
I have added a tactile momentary switch on an additional circuit from the battery through a 4.7 volt zener diode to the Mini USB. This is so I can take a snap when I am at the camera or on a short cable.
Cheers
Col

« Reply #279 on: 22 / June / 2010, 09:26:17 »
Col,

can I ask again  :-

With the SD card unlocked (and SDM therefore disabled), can you turn-on the camera into Record mode ?