Col and David,
I received Col's SD card today. I tested it and discovered the following:
1. The card contained all the files from some version of CHDK, except the diskboot.bin.
2. The card contained the minimalist SDM file diskboot.bin David created for me.
3. Testing revealed that the program worked correctly with no crashing except the program would constantly start in test.
4. I did the check sum routine and both his diskboot.bin and mine had the same checksum.
5. I copied off all files from Col's card and re-formatted his SD card. I reinstalled all the files, and the program continued to always default to test.
6. I replaced his bootdisk.bin with mine, same thing, always defaulted to test.
7. I replaced his MD_SDM script file, same thing, defaulted to test.
8. I examined all the parameter files did not see a difference, but then I replaced his parameters files with mine, and fixed the problem.
I'm not sure why, but something in his parameters files were different.