Does reversed battery polarity brick the camera? - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Does reversed battery polarity brick the camera?

• 4 Replies
Does reversed battery polarity brick the camera?
« on: 03 / May / 2009, 12:56:17 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I connected the original Canon battery to the camera with extension cables, but accidentally reversed the polarity. Now the camera does not work at all.
1) Can it be repaired?
2) I will not have access to a service centre for the next 2 months, so is there anything that i can do?

Thank you!
IXUS 850 (SD800) 1.00e

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
Re: Does reversed battery polarity brick the camera?
« Reply #1 on: 03 / May / 2009, 13:39:45 »
1) Can it be repaired?

I doubt it.

2) I will not have access to a service centre for the next 2 months, so is there anything that i can do?

Depends on your skill + tools. Maybe there's just one part burned out which can be replaced.

I have connected my camera to a power supply with the wrong polarity 2 or 3 times, but that PSU only supplys 2 amps max, and nothing special happend. As your camera does not turn on at all, i assume its totally bricked. Try connecting it to a PSU with amp & voltage display, see what happens. Is there a current flowing when its off, does it short circuit when you try to turn it on? (happened when i burnt out my old camera). Maybe it'll work with a PSU, when theres somethin burnt out in the battery compartement..

Regards

« Reply #2 on: 23 / June / 2009, 00:52:35 »
You can check for any surface mount fuses. I did something similar with a Nintendo DS and found on the internet the locations of the fuses on the board to bridge/replace.  Apparently a lot of other people also bricked their DS with bad batteries.

Next things after that to check would probably be diodes and then transistors near and around the battery terminals

databoy

« Reply #3 on: 23 / June / 2009, 04:04:18 »
You are asking for technical advice but have neglected to mention the model number of the camera.

Have you taken it apart and had a good look with a magnifying glass?

Some electronic equipment have zener diode protection for over voltage and MOV's for lightning protection.

If you are lucky the zener diode has gone short circuit.

« Reply #4 on: 10 / June / 2010, 08:40:57 »
I managed to destroy my A720IS by shorting out the aux power i/p. The aux i/p connects to the battery via a 3.2A fuse, and is live all the time. Replacing the internal fuse didn't help, and Canon want $128 to fix it. Be warned!