Video Manual Control: ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER SPEED CONTROL, PLEASE!!!! - page 18 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Video Manual Control: ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER SPEED CONTROL, PLEASE!!!!

• 213 Replies
Re: Video Manual Control: ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER SPEED CONTROL, PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #170 on: 12 / August / 2014, 13:44:49 »
Advertisements

I would be grateful if I could just lock the shutter speed and let Aperture and ISO be in auto mode; that is in Shutter Priority Mode. It will reduce motion artifact and help control flickering under artificial lighting.

As you can see if you read through this forum thread, this script is very experimental and does not work well on some cameras. Unless someone does a whole lot more work, possibly involving significant code changes to CHDK as well, that is not going to change any time soon.

On a related note, CHDK exposure overrides don't give you the equivalent of shutter priority or aperture priority modes.  When you override one parameter, the others remain under Canon firmware control, which is unaware of the changed value. Unless you override all three parameters, you are unlikely to get the correct exposure.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #171 on: 01 / September / 2014, 17:09:34 »
Hi!
Is there a script which allows to set the frames per second video recording. for example. 1fps or less?
This would serve to direct video recording as Time Lapse (intervalometer).
Cameras A810, A3300 have similar functions, called "miniature" but it has blurs the top and bottom of the frame.
Best Regards

« Reply #172 on: 01 / September / 2014, 17:14:23 »
Is there a script which allows to set the frames per second video recording. for example. 1fps or less?
AFAIK - no.  Sorry.

« Reply #173 on: 29 / September / 2014, 01:59:06 »
(At first I could't get the script working, I missed the part where it says to "enable native calls", eventually I found it on the web, a nice option in the chdk menu, I modified the wiki a bit, perhaps it's better to include the note directly after the text, because somehow I completely missed it).

Anyway, I am a little bit excited about this script and it's capabilities, it seems quite cool. I look forward to testing this script some more tomorrow. I plan to use this script for "low light" conditions. I will also try the "night mode" of the powershot sx50 hs, and something else forgot what it was I guess P mode. Yeah and see if night mode matters for video, I think it does a little bit, yeah and then compare it towards each other.

I have already tested the script a bit, and it does seem to be capable of "beating" the default software of cannon. The video appears to be more bright and thus more can be seen under low light conditions. The video/image does get a bit more grainy though.

My batteries are all dead, fortunately I have a power cable so it can run of the wall socket.

I tested the script some more, trying to read the monitor text and such.

I don't quite understand, shutter speed 10.000 ? or av 12... it all seems somewhat overkill ?

I still tried it though... I hope it doesnt damage my camera or chip. The powershot sx50 hs camera repeatedly shuts off/down under those parameters, so perhaps it's shutting down to prevent damage to the camera.

At first I thought maybe it was because the battery was dead, but it's not... it's shutting down forcefully.

Sometimes the recording will also continue, but the controls will hang. I think these videos are lost, they are not saved... so if it hangs or crashes, video is lost. That's kinda a shame, and makes this script a bit risky.

Also the adjusting the values during "video time/recording time" is kinda cool... but the camera seems to auto adjust exposure/av/tv/shutter speed or whatever. That's mainly why I write this posting ?!

Why is the camera doing that ? Is it to protect itself from damage ? (I guess not cause it would choose to shutdown if it was). I guess it's to enhance image quality. But perhaps this is not desired by the user, so it seems to be an "auto" feature. I have read other peoples posting, somewhat mentioning this auto adjustments especially for this camera... I have also read something about ae lock ? I am not sure what that is ? I guess it's auto-exposure lock ? So I guess I am writing about that.

This powershot sx50 hs apperently has an "auto exposure" "issue" where it automatically adjusts the exposure.... this might be an unwanted feature ?! And somehow this has to be disabled ?!

So that's basically what I am writing about. (What's the best way to disable this ?)

I do know the camera a bit, it has a P-mode which is mostly tested with this script. I think it also has some kind of "locked exposure" mode... a star will appear on the screen.

However getting that all to work is kinda complex have to use special button and so forth.

So perhaps it might be a nice idea to add a feature to this script called: "auto exposure: on/off".

So that the script can automate this tedious task. Perhaps that would make the script even more usefull/easy to use.

Tomorrow I will report back on my findings at night time ;)

(Also I wonder if perhaps other video codecs or such could be embedded into chdk so that the video is not so grainy/distorted, I think some of that distortion is because of jpeg compression artifacts.)

If video codec is a too large under taking... I also wonder if perhaps shooting raws or something continously might be an alternative to this video script thing ? Perhaps raw with some compression format build into chdk if not already done so ? Problem with shooting pictures individually is "click" sound. I want that sound gone ? is that possible at all ? (Ok now I am wondering a bit off-topic sorry for that). Also shooting pictures individually seems a bit slow so far... I wonder what the difference is ? Why can video shoot fast but picture mode slow ? kind weird...

Anyway... congratulations on this script ! This is the main feature of this camera that I wanted to see enhanced ! So this script is kinda making me happy and is offering something to chdk which makes chdk actually worth something to me, as well as the interval-o-meter script.

Also if anybody out there has special scripts for "night time videos" and or "night time pictures" I'd be interested in those scripts as well. Also I cannot garantuee that I can actually test tomorrow it depends on circumstances... but I hope the circumstances are right to do it ! I'm looking forward to that ! ;) :)

Also I noticed the max ISO is 1600 or 3200 ? But the powershot sx50 hs can support ISO 6400 ?

So maybe up the limit a bit ? (Perhaps script should detect camera type and adjust limits accordingly).

(Also one last question, why does this forum report my ip as belonging to "cloudflare"'s ip range ? It's not showing my ip address, but theirs... weird. ?)
« Last Edit: 29 / September / 2014, 02:14:35 by Skybuck »

« Reply #174 on: 30 / September / 2014, 21:24:55 »
Script is useless for me for now:

1. ISO 1600 too low.

2. ISO 3200 makes powershot sx50 hs crash before and during video recording.

Default software is better for now.

Hopefully in future script will be better.

Perhaps I will tweak settings to see if that helps.
« Last Edit: 30 / September / 2014, 21:26:57 by Skybuck2002 »

« Reply #175 on: 03 / October / 2014, 06:06:11 »
I tried to run it on SX510 HS but it crashes during start just before the window with the settings for Tv, Av and ISO appears. It happened to load once properly and I tried some videos but during the next time I tried to start the script using the same settings it crashed again.

« Reply #176 on: 03 / October / 2014, 19:00:19 »
I tried to run it on SX510 HS but it crashes during start just before the window with the settings for Tv, Av and ISO appears. It happened to load once properly and I tried some videos but during the next time I tried to start the script using the same settings it crashed again.
If you read through this forum thread,  you notice that the script is very experimental and pushes the limit of what CHDK can do on some cameras.   On the wikia page for this script there is a list of cameras that work and a (shorter) list of cameras that do not work with this script.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Manual_Exposure_Control_for_Video_Recording

Unfortunately,  if your camera does not work with this script there is likely nothing easy that can be done to fix it.

Re: Video Manual Control: Change "set" button to "press_full"
« Reply #177 on: 10 / November / 2014, 11:52:13 »
Hey all

I am quite an newby with the chdk tool . but it looks really good and has very good explanations.

The script is really great and i've tested it on an G15. I runs very good but crashed from time to time.
Is there a way to debug it proper to see why the script crashes?

And my main goal is to have it running with an external wired remote controller from Canon, so that i can start the recording by pressing the "shoot" button.

So i modified the script in the following way. and it works from time to time but not everytime..

here are the modifications and as well the attachment.

Code: [Select]
    while true do
        show_values(tv96, av96, sv96)
        repeat
           draw.overdraw()
           wait_click(200)
        until not(is_key("no_key"))
        if  is_pressed("shoot_full")   then
            -- press("video") sleep(2000) release("video") sleep(1000)
            press("video")
            sleep(100)
            release("video")

sleep(3000)

press("video")
            sleep(100)
            release("video")

elseif is_pressed("left")  then
            if gui_index > 0 then gui_index = gui_index - 1 end
        elseif is_pressed("right") then
            if gui_index < 2 then gui_index = gui_index + 1 end
        elseif ( is_key("up")) then
           adjust_value(gui_index, 1)
        elseif ( is_key("down")) then
           adjust_value(gui_index, -1)

elseif is_pressed("menu") then break
        end
    end
    restore()

Offline reyalp

Re: Video Manual Control: Change "set" button to "press_full"
« Reply #178 on: 11 / November / 2014, 00:32:56 »
The script is really great and i've tested it on an G15. I runs very good but crashed from time to time.
Is there a way to debug it proper to see why the script crashes?
If the camera crashes, a romlog may provide some clues about where in the Canon firmware it crashed. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Debugging#Camera_crash_logs_.28romlog.29

Assuming the crash is related to the video control stuff, actually understanding it and finding fixes or workaround will likely take reverse engineering and possibly new CHDK code.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #179 on: 13 / December / 2014, 03:03:02 »
would it be possible  to call

set_aelock(1)
   tv96=call_event_proc("SetAE_ShutterSpeed",607)     
   av96=call_event_proc("MoveIrisToAv",510)     
   call_event_proc("SetCDSGain",381)

(example values)

from a ptp interface to  control the exposure  in  video mode. im trying to  do just that but not getting any result.