Video Manual Control: ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER SPEED CONTROL, PLEASE!!!! - page 3 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Video Manual Control: ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER SPEED CONTROL, PLEASE!!!!

• 213 Replies

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Video Manual Control: ISO, APERTURE & SHUTTER SPEED CONTROL, PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 26 / August / 2010, 01:48:37 »
Advertisements
From what I gather, you'll need to "roll your own" CHDK to include the "native call" support, (required to run this LUA script).

I'm not overly confident in doing this, I'd like to know if anyone else has compiled CHDK with "Native Call Support" for a Canon G7?
Building CHDK with native calls enabled is very simple and doesn't really require any programming experience, especially not if you run Windows: Get http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK-Shell and download latest trunk using it. Go to the "Compile options" menu and check OPT_LUA_CALL_NATIVE.

If you can't find it on the compile options screen (I don't run Windows so I can't check easily), you need to either edit the file trunk/buildconf.inc by removing '#' from start of the line that says #OPT_LUA_CALL_NATIVE=1 or create a file called localbuildconf.inc to the same folder that has a single line that reads
OPT_LUA_CALL_NATIVE=1
in it.

Then you just compile (you'll probably want to select your camera version first, maybe some other stuff too that I don't know about -- see CHDK shell documentation).

The danger of having native calls enabled lies pretty much entirely in that using native calls someone could write a malicious lua script for you and destroy your camera by fooling you into running their script. I assure you my script wasn't written to intentionally destroy your camera... In principle we could have a CHDK config option (e.g. in debug menu) to enable native calls, but the problem is that a malicious Lua script could modify your config using normal file I/O functions. Note that someone could quite as well create a malicious CHDK build that does the same and fool you into installing it. Scripts are just a tad easier to try out than builds.

« Reply #21 on: 26 / August / 2010, 04:28:41 »
Thanks for the detailed guide Fudgey! I'll give it a try over the weekend & see how I go. The G7 has very similar specs to the A570 so I would expect similar results.

« Reply #22 on: 29 / August / 2010, 03:53:45 »
I can confirm that this LUA script works perfectly on a Powershot G7!
Compiling a custom CHDK with the shell script was a piece of cake. In the tests I've done to date, I'm leaving the shutter, (Tv), value at the default of 480, (which I presume is 1/60th sec). I'm setting the ISO, (Sv), to 128. I'm seeing virtually zero noise in the dark areas of the image, which is exactly what I hoped to achieve.

A question, in which mode is the Canon MJPEG codec operating, 4:1:1, 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 color space?

Update: I'm now able to record at Quality=99, (around 47.5 mbit/sec or 6MB/Sec), whereas before the camera would crash at these data rates. It's possible that by lowering the ISO value, less noise is now being recorded in the video clip, therefore the video compression is working more efficiently.

« Last Edit: 30 / August / 2010, 04:33:02 by Stimpy »

« Reply #23 on: 24 / September / 2010, 21:51:30 »
Tested on a Canon IXUS 100IS or SD780, (DIGIC 4 processor).
- Camera crashes soon after loading the LUA script.
- It seems the "native calls" need to be updated to work on DIGIC 4 based cameras  :(

Fudgey - it appears you were spot on in your estimate that this would only work on DIGIC3 series camera's!

Unfortunately, Canon didn't make the switch to HD movie recording on the PowerShots until after the DIGIC4 chip was released, (2008), so we're stuck with 640x480 until we have a break through.

As ISO control has such a huge impact on video quality, it'd be great to see this incorporated in the main CHDK build...?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #24 on: 24 / September / 2010, 23:05:46 »
Tested on a Canon IXUS 100IS or SD780, (DIGIC 4 processor).
- It seems the "native calls" need to be updated to work on DIGIC 4 based cameras  :(
Native calls work fine on digic 4. The particular functions used in the script may have changed.
s ISO control has such a huge impact on video quality, it'd be great to see this incorporated in the main CHDK build...?
Agreed.  That requires someone to do the grunt work to make it work reliably, or figure out which cameras it works on. fudgeys script is a good place to start experimenting.

This one is no longer camera model dependent, but it's possible that it will still only work (without modification) on a some cameras from the same era (FYI, the a570 is a Digic III vxworks camera from year 2008 or so). To debug you may want to print + sleep after each call_event_proc command to see if they return -1, which for this script quite likely means the event procedure was not found (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it may just be unregistered).
Good advice. Even if the functions are registered, it may tell you which one is crashing.

You can also try getting a ROMLOG http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/LUA/Scripts:Standard/Test/Romlog
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #25 on: 26 / September / 2010, 00:17:05 »
Although the CHDK does run, I'm getting errors when building CHDK for an IXUS 100IS, (SD780) - which may be effecting my testing of the LUA script...? Here's the error report;

boot.c: In function 'taskCreateHook':
boot.c:36: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
boot.c:43: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast
boot.c: In function 'dumpCF90_SD7802':
boot.c:144: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fopen_Fut'
boot.c:145: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fwrite_Fut'
boot.c:146: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fflush_Fut'
boot.c:147: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fclose_Fut'
boot.c: In function 'task_blinker':
boot.c:191: warning: implicit declaration of function 'draw_txt_string'
wrappers.c: In function 'OpLog_Get':
wrappers.c:23: warning: implicit declaration of function '_OpLog_Get'
kbd.c: In function 'dumpProps':
kbd.c:216: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fopen_Fut'
kbd.c:219: warning: implicit declaration of function 'sprintf'
kbd.c:219: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'sprintf'
kbd.c:220: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fwrite_Fut'
kbd.c:220: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strlen'
kbd.c:220: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
kbd.c:222: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fflush_Fut'
kbd.c:223: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Fclose_Fut'
kbd.c: In function 'dump1900_SD780':
kbd.c:258: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'sprintf'
kbd.c:262: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'sprintf'
kbd.c:267: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'sprintf'
kbd.c: In function 'my_kbd_read_keys':
kbd.c:377: warning: implicit declaration of function 'draw_txt_string'

Note, when building CHDK for my G7, I don't get any errors at all, so I'm confident that this is a camera specific error. 

Offline reyalp

« Reply #26 on: 26 / September / 2010, 01:07:41 »
These are warnings, not errors. Most of them look relatively harmless, probably from camera specific debugging / development code.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #27 on: 26 / September / 2010, 07:08:32 »
Just delete functions 'dumpCF90_SD7802',  'task_blinker', 'dumpProps',  'dump1900_SD780'.

In boot.c, aHookList[] is declared as an array of 'long' but 'p' is a pointer to an integer value.
« Last Edit: 26 / September / 2010, 07:18:59 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #28 on: 27 / September / 2010, 05:48:11 »
I've decided to ignore the compiler warnings & proceed, as it doesn't appear to effect the CHDK from functioning normally.
So we know the VidExp.lua script crashes the Digic4 based IXUS 100is, but at what point?

I broke the script down into various sections, remarking or deleting out lines of code until I could isolate the problem.
All of the initialization checks to see if the Camera supported native calls, ExpCtrlTool & ND tests all work fine.

However, the following lines of script would always crash the camera;

Line 95. if (call_event_proc("InitializeAdjustmentFunction") == -1) then
Line 96.    error("InitializeAdjustmentFunction failed")

Line 130. ret=call_event_proc("SetAE_ShutterSpeed",tv96)

Line 154. ret=call_event_proc("MoveIrisToAv",av96)

Line 177. ret=call_event_proc("SetCDSGain",sv96)

Are we to assume these particular event procedures have yet to be "enabled" or "mapped out" on the newer Digic4 cameras?
How to move forward? - Is there something a non-dev, such as myself, could investigate?

« Last Edit: 27 / September / 2010, 07:52:55 by Stimpy »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #29 on: 27 / September / 2010, 15:49:49 »
Line 95. if (call_event_proc("InitializeAdjustmentFunction") == -1) then
Line 96.    error("InitializeAdjustmentFunction failed")

Line 130. ret=call_event_proc("SetAE_ShutterSpeed",tv96)

Line 154. ret=call_event_proc("MoveIrisToAv",av96)

Line 177. ret=call_event_proc("SetCDSGain",sv96)

Are we to assume these particular event procedures have yet to be "enabled" or "mapped out" on the newer Digic4 cameras?
How to move forward? - Is there something a non-dev, such as myself, could investigate?
Function entry points for ixus100_sd780 sub 100c are

SetAE_ShutterSpeed 0xffa96f60
MoveIrisToAv 0xffa92248
SetCDSGain 0xffa91e6c
InitializeAdjustmentFunction 0xff91d4fc

I suppose the problem is that InitializeAdjustmentFunction isn't registered. The other three funcs don't work because they are supposedly registered by InitializeAdjustmentFunction whose call failed.

It's name+entry can be found at a table that starts at 0xffb5581c but I don't know who registers it. But until someone finds out, if you're feeling brave you could start by replacing
Code: [Select]
if (call_event_proc("InitializeAdjustmentFunction") == -1) then
    error("InitializeAdjustmentFunction failed")
end

with something like
Code: [Select]
bi=get_buildinfo()
print("platform: ",bi.platform," ",bi.platsub)
if bi.platform~="ixus100_sd780" then
  error("wrong camera model")
elseif bi.platsub~="100c" then
  error("wrong firmware version")
end

ret=call_func_ptr(0xff91d4fc)
print("InitAdjFunc=",ret)
That effectively calls InitializeAdjustmentFunction directly (not as an event procedure), which should be just as good unless you wish to use the same script on other cameras. That buildinfo stuff should prevent accidentally running this on incorrect camera models.