Set Focus @ IXUS 50 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Set Focus @ IXUS 50

• 2 Replies
Set Focus @ IXUS 50
« on: 11 / June / 2010, 11:52:04 »
Advertisements
Hallo!

I try to write a script, that takes some pictures of the night sky. It works fine, but i have some problems with focus. At night there is definitely not enough light for the auto focus, so i would like to set the focus manual on infinite.

I could set the object distance in CHDK itself before I start the script and I think, this would work fine, but I would prefer to set it by the script itself.

The good old IXUS 50 has no MF-Options and so it is difficult to set it by scripts. I tried a lot and searched manual sites and example scripts on the internet but they all don't work propperly on the IXUS 50.

What I found was more or less the following:

Code: [Select]
set_focus 65000
shoot

But it was absolutely no effect. AF is still active and camera doesn't focus on infinity. I read a lot about property values and found prop 12 - Manual focus. mode I can set prop 12 to 1 and after taking a picture and "MF" is shown together with the other properties. But no effect on the focus. I also tried some things with Prop 11 but also nothing.

It semms t me that on other cameras this should work or did I miss something important?
Has somebody of you some experience with the IXUS 50 and can help me with this problem? 

Much thanks
Schmidti

Re: Set Focus @ IXUS 50
« Reply #1 on: 12 / June / 2010, 02:03:57 »
Are you sure it isn't working? On the A480 when you set the focus to a specific value it doesn't disable autofocusing. Instead it lets the camera go through the autofocus procedure then immediately applies the new focus.

So in the script try half pressing the button, waiting for auto focus to complete, then set the focus to 65535.

Andy

Re: Set Focus @ IXUS 50
« Reply #2 on: 12 / June / 2010, 17:43:58 »
Thank you for your Idea, but it definitely doesn't work. I tried, what you supposed, but focus is not on infinite. More than that: If I say set_focus 65535 and directly afterwards check value with get_focus it is still on the old value determined by the autofocus.

So I don't really know what to do. Please help me

Schmidti