G11 screwed up after running firmware - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

G11 screwed up after running firmware

• 17 Replies
G11 screwed up after running firmware
« on: 13 / June / 2010, 15:03:04 »
Advertisements
All my images say 1/1/1970 in  camera and on the card. Canon does not have any firmware posted on their site so I cant overwrite the firmware on my camera. The software wont read the outdated files for some reason so it is a big problem. I have tried using in camera "reset all". I have tried leaving the battery out overnight. I have tried resetting the date in camera. Nothing works.

Any suggestions of how I can fix this? Does anyone have a stock firmware I can load back on my camera?

Online reyalp

Re: G11 screwed up after running firmware
« Reply #1 on: 13 / June / 2010, 16:05:00 »
First of all, is this a stock camera without CHDK, or do you believe it is somehow connected to CHDK ? If you have used CHDK, please describe how the symptoms appeared, and also which CHDK version and which firmware version your camera has.

In the first case, take it to canon for service. It's possible that your (non user replaceable) clock battery is dead.

In the second case, it's probably not actually caused by CHDK either. CHDK does not modify your firmware, so there is no "loading stock firmware" needed or possible to resolve CHDK problems. Remove CHDK from your card, and CHDK will not be on your camera. If this does not fix your problem, then it's very unlikely to be caused by CHDK.

Note that while it is very unlikely that CHDK damaged your camera, there is absolutely no warranty and any use of CHDK is at your own risk.

See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._Can_CHDK_damage_your_camera.C2.A0.3F

I do note there is another recent thread about a G11 having troubles: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,5279.0.html
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 13 / June / 2010, 17:20:12 »
First of all, is this a stock camera without CHDK, or do you believe it is somehow connected to CHDK ? If you have used CHDK, please describe how the symptoms appeared, and also which CHDK version and which firmware version your camera has.

In the first case, take it to canon for service. It's possible that your (non user replaceable) clock battery is dead.

In the second case, it's probably not actually caused by CHDK either. CHDK does not modify your firmware, so there is no "loading stock firmware" needed or possible to resolve CHDK problems. Remove CHDK from your card, and CHDK will not be on your camera. If this does not fix your problem, then it's very unlikely to be caused by CHDK.

Note that while it is very unlikely that CHDK damaged your camera, there is absolutely no warranty and any use of CHDK is at your own risk.

See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._Can_CHDK_damage_your_camera.C2.A0.3F

I do note there is another recent thread about a G11 having troubles: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,5279.0.html

I read that a sign of the internal battery being bad was constant time/date setting at turn on. My camera does not have that issue. I have the K firmware on my camera. I have removed the card with the cdhk and inserted a new card. I still have the issue. The cdhk did something to the camera. It stopped working correctly the next day when I turned it on. The date in camera shows the correct date its the date on the picture file itself that has "created on" 1/1/1970.

Again is their a bone stock K version of firmware I can download and install some place?

Online reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 13 / June / 2010, 18:09:48 »
Again is their a bone stock K version of firmware I can download and install some place?
Again, CHDK does never intentionally modify the area of ROM that contains the firmware, so even if you could find a way to re-flash the firmware (which you can't, unless canon has released a firmware update for that camera), it most likely won't solve your problem. It is theoretically possible that CHDK could "accidentally" write to this area, but it's hard to imagine what sequence of events would lead to this (calling the right function by random chance is highly improbable), and it is likely the effects would be more drastic than what you've reported if it did somehow happen.

You determine whether firmware has been modified by dumping your camera and comparing it to a known dump. However,  the canon firmware does routinely modify onboard "ROM". There are (at least) areas used for a log and for storing camera settings, so you cannot simply compare full dumps. If you want to compare the firmware proper (code and static data) you need to exclude those areas. If you want to pursue this, some people here might be able to provide assistance. I would suggest getting a full dump and posting on some file hosting site as a start.

If this is actually a CHDK problem, it should probably affect all users with this firmware version, or the subset who have done whatever sequence of actions you have done. Because of that, it would be helpful if you could describe as much as possible what you did when you had CHDK installed. I.e. what features did you try, did you run particular scripts, which exact build did you use,  etc.

edit:
If you want to resolve this problem, you need to provide more information.

How are you reading the files ? By USB, card reader or both ?

Which software does not recognize the files ?  

Is the camera otherwise functional ? That is, does it capture and display images without problems ?  Does the camera itself show the 1970 dates ?

If you manually copy the files from your card, can a regular image viewer (irfanview, picasa, windows image viewer, or whatever runs on your OS) view them ?
« Last Edit: 13 / June / 2010, 19:29:03 by reyalp »

« Reply #4 on: 14 / June / 2010, 03:13:11 »
I cannot remember everything I did sorry. I got the firmware put it on a card and booted to it. After that the camera was F'ed up. Its shows that date on the review screen on the back of the camera when I take a picture. If you go into the date area the oldest date you can choose is 2009. You cannot select 1970. Somehow the camera got hosed by this firmware. No need to repeat yourself about it not writing to the camera. The camera got trashed and thats a fact. Created date on all photos are 1970. You cannot look at 1970 photos with canons raw software. I had to use Photoshop to retrieve my pics. What a pain!

Boy am I sorry I tried this firmware.

« Reply #5 on: 14 / June / 2010, 22:35:41 »
Have you tried setting the time on the camera back to a reasonable date.
Canon Models - SD300, SD780, & SX210

Online reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 15 / June / 2010, 00:48:57 »
I cannot remember everything I did sorry. I got the firmware put it on a card and booted to it. After that the camera was F'ed up. Its shows that date on the review screen on the back of the camera when I take a picture. If you go into the date area the oldest date you can choose is 2009. You cannot select 1970. Somehow the camera got hosed by this firmware. No need to repeat yourself about it not writing to the camera.
I'm trying to give you information on what failure modes and solutions are plausible. I am not claiming that CHDK didn't do anything to your camera. I don't see a plausible mechanism to cause the symptoms you describe, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If you don't want to listen to the people who actually know something about the internals of the firmware and CHDK, that's your choice, but it will reduce the odds of resolving your problem.
The camera got trashed and thats a fact. Created date on all photos are 1970. You cannot look at 1970 photos with canons raw software. I had to use Photoshop to retrieve my pics. What a pain!
Is the wrong date the only symptom ?

HarpoMa:
He says the camera displays the normal date.
The date in camera shows the correct date its the date on the picture file itself that has "created on" 1/1/1970.
Resetting it (changing it to an invalid date and back again) wouldn't hurt to try.

Since it only affects files on the card(s), a freshly formatted card would also be worth a try.

This is not consistent with damaged firmware code, but I guess corrupted params might conceivably do it ?

« Reply #7 on: 15 / June / 2010, 13:21:33 »
I tried putting in a wrong date and then a right date. Did not fix it.
I tried formatting the card and using a new card. Did not fix it.
I tried reset all. Did not fix it.
I tried leaving battery out for 24 hours. Did not fix it.

The date in the camera that I can set shows correct. The display/review on back lcd  when you shoot a picture is wrong. It shows all the info (exif) and date of 1/1/1970 and it does not go to 1/2/1970 the next day it stays at 1/1/1970.

The created date on pictures on the card show 1/1/1970 as well. I guess the only thing left to try would be to leave the battery out of the camera for a month (or return to canon service) and see what happens. I doubt the battery being left out will fix this.

Its a shame canon doesnt have any firmware updates as this might be a chance to repair it.

Warning to all G11 owners. I bought this camera in Dec 09  and it has the K firmware on it.

« Reply #8 on: 15 / June / 2010, 13:24:36 »
I am not going to keep coming back here so if anyone wants to contact me use this email address.

--------mkdickson---at----gmail----d*o*t-----com-------

« Reply #9 on: 15 / June / 2010, 16:09:39 »
LOL - I'm calling this a troll myself.  Maybe it happened maybe not but quite frankly this individual seems less than receptive to being helped.  (Edit - The word honest seemed a little harsh on reflection)

Harpo
« Last Edit: 15 / June / 2010, 18:57:53 by HarpoMa »
Canon Models - SD300, SD780, & SX210