CANON Power Shot SD1100 IS - firmware - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

CANON Power Shot SD1100 IS - firmware

• 12 Replies
« on: 28 / June / 2010, 19:49:55 »
Advertisements
Following the instructions from the CHDK-Site "CHDK for Dummies, How to check the firmware version of a Canon P&S camera" did not bring any usable results: only a digital clock appears for about 10 seconds after presssing for a while the FUNC.SET-button and once the DISP-button. The SD-Card was formatted under Windows XP und the files "ver.req" as well as "vers.req" were installed as indicated. In the list of compatible cameras appears "Power Shot SD100" but without the suffix. Is it possible that this camera is not compatible with CHDK? Any idea how the firmware can be displayed in this camera? Any hint is highly appreciated.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: CANON Power Shot SD1100 IS - firmware
« Reply #1 on: 29 / June / 2010, 00:58:53 »
Hello & welcome, Galapagos !

In the list of compatible cameras appears "Power Shot SD100" but without the suffix. Is it possible that this camera is not compatible with CHDK? Any idea how the firmware can be displayed in this camera?
The ver.req method works on the SD1100; the "IS" suffix is just for marketing.
Make sure the file is really named "ver.req" (on Windows read more here), start in playback mode, hold FUNC/SET & press DISP...
You can also use CameraVersion or ACID to get your fw version.

« Reply #2 on: 29 / June / 2010, 17:16:49 »
After several trials I gave up with the ver.req and vers.req files, it definitely did not work. CameraVersion did also not work as the download of the latest version had reached the limit. Finally with ACID I was able to find the firmware.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 29 / June / 2010, 17:22:47 »
After several trials I gave up with the ver.req and vers.req files, it definitely did not work. CameraVersion did also not work as the download of the latest version had reached the limit. Finally with ACID I was able to find the firmware.
On some cameras the button combination is different. For example, on D10, it's SET+DOWN (erase)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 30 / June / 2010, 01:14:17 »
CameraVersion did also not work as the download of the latest version had reached the limit.
There are 2 mirrors listed, both up & available ;)
* http://ul.to/bynq03
* http://drop.io/chdksoft

On the SD1100, FUNCSET + DISP is the correct button combination.
Make sure the filename is really ver.req (not ver.req.txt, see also How to NOT hide extensions in Windows) and there's at least one still image on the card; the last file shown in review mode should be a still image, NOT a video file...

« Reply #5 on: 10 / January / 2017, 20:48:24 »
Okay, I have gotten as far as the step 3 in STICK. When it gets to the point of scanning my card, I get "Size, partitioning, Bootability unknown" and the drive is showing upon the tab as "Drive F: ????"
I am now working on the pc, not the mac as I have a card reader on the PC. This card has been working fine in the camera, so I am not sure what the problem would be.

I tried using the camera to format a different card, took a picture and tried again with the same result. Then tried formatting it with the "low level format" setting and that didn't work either.  I tried a couple other versions of STICK, but there is only one version that will allow me to drag and drop my photo and that is the .bat file. I am also running as an administrator, on Windows 10, and the cards I tried are a 512mb and a 2 gig. I was sure hoping to get this updated before a trip in 2 days...

« Reply #6 on: 10 / January / 2017, 21:07:00 »
Would you like some help from a snarky person sometimes known to actually help people out?

Edit : never mind.  Give me an hour to get back to my PC
« Last Edit: 10 / January / 2017, 21:10:40 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #7 on: 10 / January / 2017, 21:12:25 »
Sure, its just your turn. It was my turn yesterday...

Okay, I have gotten as far as the step 3 in STICK. When it gets to the point of scanning my card, I get "Size, partitioning, Bootability unknown" and the drive is showing upon the tab as "Drive F: ????"
I am now working on the pc, not the mac as I have a card reader on the PC. This card has been working fine in the camera, so I am not sure what the problem would be.

I tried using the camera to format a different card, took a picture and tried again with the same result. Then tried formatting it with the "low level format" setting and that didn't work either.  I tried a couple other versions of STICK, but there is only one version that will allow me to drag and drop my photo and that is the .bat file. I am also running as an administrator, on Windows 10, and the cards I tried are a 512mb and a 2 gig. I was sure hoping to get this updated before a trip in 2 days...

« Reply #8 on: 10 / January / 2017, 21:49:25 »
STICK issues are usually related to OS privilege levels. You need to run stickx rather than the plain .bat file (best guess away from PC).   If you are really stuck then the "Prepare your SD Card" link i posted has at least four other installation methods.  We've never yet failed to get someone running so hang in there.
« Last Edit: 10 / January / 2017, 21:50:57 by waterwingz »

« Reply #9 on: 10 / January / 2017, 22:07:42 »
I tried a couple other versions of STICK, but there is only one version that will allow me to drag and drop my photo and that is the .bat file.
Missed this - sorry.  Back in front of my PC.

It's apparently a long story (zeno - the stick author - can better explain it) but D&D does not work well in current Windows versions.   So you need to use the Browse button rather than drag & drop.

And you need to run stickx.cmd to make it all work.

Believe it or not, this is a whole lot easier than the other installation options (which do work but sometimes after a painful learning curve)

FYI EDIT :  as your camera was released well before 2011, it only supports a maximum 4G partition size for SD card lock booting.  Your smaller SD cards will be fine but once you exceed 4G you will need to use a dual partition scheme.  Again, well explained in the "Prepare your SD Card" link I posted earlier ..  8)
« Last Edit: 10 / January / 2017, 22:14:48 by waterwingz »