Basic feature - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Basic feature

• 5 Replies

Offline io

Basic feature
« on: 02 / July / 2010, 07:54:24 »
Advertisements
Hi
first post here, I am trying to evaluate the software to understand if it fits my needs.
Basically I d like to be able to trigger the show from a pc, that is ok from what I ve read so far. The other feature I am looking for is to be able to access the shots directly on the PC, that could be being able to read the camera's internal memory while shooting or having the pictures stored on my pc while shooting.
tx for your time and happy coding and shooting everybody
Simone

Offline zeno

Re: Basic feature
« Reply #1 on: 02 / July / 2010, 08:05:30 »
Neither of those features is a basic part of CHDK, Simone. It's possible to trigger the shutter via the USB port, but NOT from a PC - the triggering requires a power pulse (i.e. on then off) but if you connect the camera to a PC the power is there until you disconnect. People use a simple switch + battery combination to do the job.

As for accessing shots directly from a PC, there are some special CHDK builds that let you do that (search on PTP) but it's experimental and only available for a few cameras.

You don't say what camera you have - some older Canon cameras can be controlled in the way you want using software (but not CHDK or SDM).
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline io

« Reply #2 on: 02 / July / 2010, 08:24:32 »
Hi
and thanks for the response.
I don t have any Powershot camera at the moment. I am interested in those features being the direct access to PC the main one. I am eager to go and buy a camera that will support them, Powershot or any other brand.
Which camera would do that natively? (how do you call this function so that I can make a search myself?)
tx
Simone

Offline colinbm

• Canons S2IS Infrared, S5IS, A570 pair, SIGMA DP2
« Reply #3 on: 02 / July / 2010, 08:54:08 »
Hi Simone
gsbergman on this forum has just developed a new remote trigger for the Canon cameras. It is both cable & wireless compatible. Hopefully Gregg will be able to have a "Y" junction or a double USB in the USB dongle to take the pics back to the computer as well.
Gregg should be online in an hour or two & can discuss it further with you.
Here is todays earlier anouncement.
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,5383.msg52236.html#msg52236
Cheers
Col

Offline zeno

« Reply #4 on: 02 / July / 2010, 11:00:26 »
Simone - the feature you're talking about is called "remote capture" or "tethered shooting".

As I said, some older Canons - see the list here http://www.breezesys.com/PSRemote/features.htm#ps - support this and there's both freeware (CAM4U - see http://alkenius.no-ip.org/Cam4you/) and products you can buy (PSRemote - see the link above). Most newer Canons don't support this method, but work is being done to support it via PTP in CHDK. (PTP - Picture transfer Protocol - is the name for what happens when you plug your camera into a computer - for most Canon's all this lets you do is transfer photos from the camera to the computer).

« Last Edit: 02 / July / 2010, 11:03:01 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline colinbm

• Canons S2IS Infrared, S5IS, A570 pair, SIGMA DP2
« Reply #5 on: 03 / July / 2010, 01:18:58 »
Hi Simone
The Canon S5IS is able to be connected to a computer & control & view the camera, but not release the shutter.
With the computer connected you can use the remote shutter release to take the pic.
Cheers
Col