Disable Flash/Assist Beam shortcut key - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Disable Flash/Assist Beam shortcut key

• 11 Replies

Offline Wilson

• *float*
    • death by vanilla
Disable Flash/Assist Beam shortcut key
« on: 13 / February / 2008, 08:02:59 »
Advertisements
I'm not sure how many people would find this useful, but I have an SD1000 and sometimes I need to quickly disable the things that make taking a photo obvious or intrusive (in class, on a bus, amidst other crowds of people who might be annoyed by flashing lights). This usually involves insuring that Flash is Off, AF-assist Beam is Off, and Red-Eye is Off, which takes extra time.

So I'm requesting a shortcut that gets what these settings are, then disables them all at once (pressing again restores remembered settings). OSD indicator could be maybe "Stealth" or something better under the RAW indicator.
Perhaps ALT, Flash as the shortcut?
- Wilson

Re: Disable Flash/Assist Beam shortcut key
« Reply #1 on: 13 / February / 2008, 15:01:50 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:56:27 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #2 on: 13 / February / 2008, 15:36:08 »
You could always write a script to emulate all the menu options you need to turn them off, as well as turning off your "power on" light using the LED commands. It would run slow having to do all those key-presses with short sleep cycles between each, but far faster than you could do it manually.

It's not exactly what you want, but it would do it for you.

Has anyone found a way to access any of the menu items directly?  Or are they completely out of reach in the code?

« Reply #3 on: 13 / February / 2008, 15:54:49 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:56:47 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #4 on: 13 / February / 2008, 18:28:11 »
You could always write a script to emulate all the menu options you need to turn them off, as well as turning off your "power on" light using the LED commands. It would run slow having to do all those key-presses with short sleep cycles between each, but far faster than you could do it manually.

Actually that doesn't work very well, since at least on my a570is those settings menu items (like the AF light enable) seem to toggle on/off with both left and right keypresses. So if one setting happens to already be off, the script will turn on...

Offline Wilson

• *float*
    • death by vanilla
« Reply #5 on: 13 / February / 2008, 23:19:45 »
Mine also toggle with either left or right keypresses, so I suppose this isn't exactly feasible. Regardless, I'm happy with what CHDK does do for my camera, so I'll cope :)
- Wilson

« Reply #6 on: 14 / February / 2008, 01:21:55 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:57:07 by Barney Fife »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 14 / February / 2008, 07:41:43 »
changing the options via simulated key presses will work, but will be very difficult to implement, not only because the values change via right/left key presses as mentioned, but also because you have different options and positions in different shooting modes (dial mode). so there should be another solution

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #8 on: 14 / February / 2008, 10:01:25 »
Follow in the footsteps of Divalent and see if you can't find them using his prop-case tester script. You just run the script, let it save a text file, then change a setting, run the script again, compare differences between the text files to see if any of the property-case valuses have changed. Then try to read and set them with the set_prop and get_prop commands to see if they have any effect from within a script. It's how he investigated all that. Lots of work, but a great addition to the CHDK knowledge base.

Scripts can write to files? Anyway, all I could find was http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts:_a_property_case_value_tester and I don't think it's what you mean?

« Reply #9 on: 14 / February / 2008, 14:14:24 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:57:29 by Barney Fife »