loading the allbest-a720-100c-31 CHDK firmware - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

loading the allbest-a720-100c-31 CHDK firmware

• 3 Replies
loading the allbest-a720-100c-31 CHDK firmware
« on: 13 / February / 2008, 14:43:28 »
Advertisements
Hi.
Does anyone know how to load the CHDK firmware on the a720?
I have a 1 gb SD card and I can lock the card and it will allow me to use the CHDK firmware on the a720, but I also
have a 8 gb SDHC card and I can't use this method to load the firmware automatically. So I want to load the firmware
manually, but however I try, I can't find any option in the menu to upgrade the firmware.
So, does anyone know of any method I can use to load the firmware from the SDHC card on the powershot a720?

Kind regards and thx in advance for any suggestions, Niek

Offline BB

Re: loading the allbest-a720-100c-31 CHDK firmware
« Reply #1 on: 13 / February / 2008, 15:39:55 »
As far as I understand, the A720is being a "Dry OS" camera does not have the "load firmware" command that the other cameras use (*.fir file?).

The only option is to load the A720is through booting (will boot correctly both in shoot or playback mode). And, booting only works when the SD Card is formated FAT 16 (2 GB and under, normal format command). For a 4 GByte SDHC card, you need to format it with the non-standard extra large cluster size... Not guaranteed to be compatible with all programs/devices--but does work on my A720is, and the Sandisk card reader/Windows XP.

To format with FAT16

format x: /fs:fat
(where x: is your drive letter)

then

bootable x: (again, where x: is your drive letter)

then

copy DISKBOOT.BIN file to x:\

Write protect card to boot into CHDK and install into your camera... Just turning on the camera should display your CHKD splash screen.

As I understand, formating an 8+ GB SDHC card with the ":fat" command will leave you will a 4 GB card capacity. If you look around here, you can find people that have figured out how to make a 8GB SD card with multiple partitions--but it is non-standard and may not work with most standard USB/OS mounting programs (will only see first partition).

One problem I experienced on with the first version of CHKDSK for the A720is with 4G SDHC was that the CHDK directory structure (Scripts, Lang, etc.) sub-directories where not created and therefore I could not save my CHDK configuration configuration. But the newer versions seem to work fine.

-Bill

« Reply #2 on: 14 / February / 2008, 09:56:04 »
Is there any guide online somewhere regarding how to partition a 8 gb SD card exactly to make it work in both the powershot a720 and the SDHC card reader?

Offline BB

« Reply #3 on: 14 / February / 2008, 16:10:24 »
There is this thread: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,255.0/topicseen.html...

I have not paid too much attention to it so I don't know if it will work for the A720 or not...

Otherwise, I believe you use the format command I gave earlier for a bootable 4 GB effective space (on an 8 GB or larger card), or you do the normal FAT 32 format and CHDK will not boot...

-Bill