How are screenshots made? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

How are screenshots made?

• 4 Replies
How are screenshots made?
« on: 01 / August / 2010, 21:44:50 »
Advertisements
How are some of the camera screenshots on the wiki made? I've been wondering that for a long time.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: How are screenshots made?
« Reply #1 on: 02 / August / 2010, 01:09:27 »
How are some of the camera screenshots on the wiki made? I've been wondering that for a long time.
Most are captured with a PC grabber card connected to the camera's AV OUT...

« Reply #2 on: 02 / August / 2010, 19:55:23 »
Oh, that makes sense. I thought it was some kind of feature in CHDK (or the camera) that I didn't know about.

« Reply #3 on: 03 / August / 2010, 12:53:42 »
There was some kind of "yuvconvert" command added in build 909 that seems to do this, I think. It says to see the source code for usage. I read it but I don't get it. It sorely needs some coder to english translation.  :)

http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/browser/trunk/tools/yuvconvert.c?rev=909

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 03 / August / 2010, 14:02:05 »
There was some kind of "yuvconvert" command added in build 909 that seems to do this, I think. It says to see the source code for usage. I read it but I don't get it. It sorely needs some coder to english translation.  :)

http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/browser/trunk/tools/yuvconvert.c?rev=909
This will only give you screenshots of the live view, not the OSD. You also still need code to actually save it, but that can be done in lua.

Saving the bitmap buffer can be done the same way. Being a simple 8 bit paletted format it can be converted in a regular image editing program. You'd just have to come up with the appropriate palette.
Don't forget what the H stands for.