A480 faster shutter speeds - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

A480 faster shutter speeds

• 2 Replies
A480 faster shutter speeds
« on: 11 / August / 2010, 10:29:22 »
Advertisements
Hi all

I'm trying to find a way of taking photos with a faster shutter speed than normal (default is 1/2000 I think) on my A480. I've loaded the CHDK firmware onto the camera without problems, but I'm really struggling finding the settings that I need to adjust!

Could somebody give me some settings to use as a starting point please so I can experiment with initally working settings? I'm currently taking pitch black photos (incorrect ISO with a stupidly high shutter speed I believe?) or blured photos (incorrect settings I guess). Eventually I hope to be able to take photos this winter of fast moving wintersports, so I've got several months to try and get to grips with it all :)

I've looked through the forums/google, but what I find goes way over my head and is probably irrelevant to my camera! I'm an utter beginner with photography, this is the first camera I've owned in 20yrs that doesn't have a phone attached to it! I'm willing to learn though, and am having plenty of fun!

Many thanks in advance!

Offline reyalp

Re: A480 faster shutter speeds
« Reply #1 on: 11 / August / 2010, 15:51:38 »
Are you sure you need faster shutter speed ? 1/2000th should be fast enough for sports considering the lens on this camera. At 200kph, your subject would move 2.7cm in that time.

You may still need to use override to force the camera to do what you want however, since this model doesn't have manual.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Override_shutter_speed describes setting the shutter override. Once you override shutter speed, the cameras auto exposure will no longer be correct, so you have to override ISO and maybe the ND filter as well.

For outdoor at high shutter speed, you will want the ND filter out. I find canon firmware will frequently put it in, and give you a quite slow exposure.

You leaves you with only ISO to vary, and you probably don't want to let that go over 200 at most.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: A480 faster shutter speeds
« Reply #2 on: 11 / August / 2010, 16:06:55 »
That's great thanks, I'll have a read and a play!