Canon G7 + eye-fi issues - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Canon G7 + eye-fi issues

• 17 Replies

Offline timgor

Re: Canon G7 + eye-fi issues
« Reply #10 on: 06 / July / 2013, 18:00:54 »
Advertisements
No I didn't. Should it restart power of my SD card instead of rebooting the camera?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #11 on: 06 / July / 2013, 18:07:02 »
No I didn't. Should it restart power of my SD card instead of rebooting the camera?
No. It will reboot the camera.

I'm suggesting that *if* the camera has the capability to reset the SD card, it will probably happen when the camera is rebooted.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline timgor

« Reply #12 on: 06 / July / 2013, 23:29:52 »
It looks like reboot() works for SD power on-off-on. This function needs lens retract before.
I use

Code: [Select]
set_record(0)
sleep(3000)
reboot()

instead of simply reboot()  and everything works fine after that.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #13 on: 07 / July / 2013, 00:54:11 »
It looks like reboot() works for SD power on-off-on.
OK, then it may be possible to dig more deeply into the firmware and find a way to reset it without rebooting.

This function needs lens retract before.
You may be able to use an eventproc for this. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6857.msg73227#msg73227

You will need to enable "native calls" to use eventrpocs. In the trunk 1.2 builds, this is a menu option.

Offline timgor

« Reply #14 on: 17 / July / 2013, 17:44:13 »
After all, I figured out that reboot() function doesn't make the desired effect to the eye-fi card powering.
On some reason it does effect when you ping the eye-fi card (the wireless network disappears and appears again) but it doesn't reset the power supply like switch camera off - on. That is really inconsistent phenomena for me.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #15 on: 19 / July / 2013, 02:19:57 »
While looking at stuff in this thread http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10385.msg102962#msg102962

I noticed the "Driver.Create" registers SetSDPwrPort.
So in theory
call_event_proc('Driver.Create')
call_event_proc('SetSDPwrPort',0)
should turn the SD card off.
call_event_proc('SetSDPwrPort',1)
would theoretically turn it back on. You only have to call Driver.Create once to register the function.

I tried this on my D10, and then tried to access the card using ls in chdkptp. It worked eventually, but there was a ~1 second delay. Maybe the firmware resets the card if you try to access when powered off.

edit:
On the other hand, this function toggles the same MMIO mentioned earlier in the thread, so maybe it doesn't do what the name suggests...

Offline timgor

« Reply #16 on: 25 / February / 2014, 11:18:38 »
There is another puzzle with the power-off function.  The "infinite" memory of eye-fi card suppose to delete older filed only upon power-off-on of sd card.
I applied function
call_event_proc('Driver.Create')
call_event_proc('SetSDPwrPort',0)
sleep(1000)
call_event_proc('SetSDPwrPort',1)
and I measured  voltage with multimeter directly using pins 4 and 6. (see the picture). The function works well. I got
3.3V -> 0v -> 3.3v measurement during the function call.
Unfortunately this doesn't have the same effect as turn camera off and on.
How can it be??? Is there any other SD card power pins that must be "reset"? Or what is it?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #17 on: 25 / February / 2014, 22:51:21 »
Unfortunately this doesn't have the same effect as turn camera off and on.
How can it be??? Is there any other SD card power pins that must be "reset"? Or what is it?
I don't know about the hardware level, but there is some software negotiation that happens at startup. The eye-fi controller might wait for that rather than just powering on.

In my experimenting earlier, it seemed that the camera resets the card if you toggle the power and then try to access a file. The first access after cycling the power takes quite a bit longer. Perhaps that would trigger the eye-fi to recognize a reboot?