A495 porting thread - page 5 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A495 porting thread

• 346 Replies
Re: A495 porting thread
« Reply #40 on: 04 / January / 2011, 13:03:48 »
Advertisements
Sorry about "H"
Do you know if I can use PTP on a A495, or at least, suggest some cheap models.. I'm trying to use this camera model on a windows application that take pictures automaticaly

thanks a lot

Offline reyalp

« Reply #41 on: 04 / January / 2011, 16:00:49 »
Do you know if I can use PTP on a A495, or at least, suggest some cheap models.. I'm trying to use this camera model on a windows application that take pictures automaticaly
CHDK PTP won't work with applications that aren't specifically written for it.  So if you are talking about using some particular application to work with it, the answer is no.

Currently the only application that can be used with CHDK PTP is our own customized PTPCAM, which you can find in the ptp thread: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4338.0 (start at the end)

I'm not sure of the status of CHDK PTP in a495.

PTP support will be a standard CHDK feature in the autobuilds fairly soon, but is not currently enabled in the autobuilds, and is still under active development.

If you are a programmer, you can probably get it working on your own now, and possibly customize PTPcam to meet your needs. If you want something that just works out of the box, it's not there yet.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #42 on: 21 / January / 2011, 19:15:14 »
Hello All,

I just installed on my A495 the file a495-100f-1.1.0-full_ALPHA_rev_558.zip, for the second time (without problems).
The first time (yesterday) I got stuck in a "hang-up" situation after running the EggTimer script.
The program probably (over)wrote something back on the SDcard, and the camera stopped with the lens out, 2 sec's after every new start-up.
I have to study the CHDK stuff a lot more, and will use the PTP functions later on.
If I encounter strange things I will report it (if they are not the result my own wrong actions).
Thanks for all the work done so far, see you later.

At.

p.s. I use a 3.4Volt 2.5A external psu on the camera, instead of the 2x1.5V battery.

« Reply #43 on: 28 / January / 2011, 03:49:39 »
Hello All.

I own a a945 camera. I've tested the version with cameraversion and it said is: 100e. To use CHDK , before thinking in porting to this version of firmware again the soft, i would like to know if a easier solution is possible.

Is this true?
To upload the version to 100f. I put in a blank card the original file diskboot.bin from the 100f renamed as ps.fi2. Then I do the update firmware process and the camera becomes a 100f camera.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #44 on: 28 / January / 2011, 12:32:23 »
Is this true?
To upload the version to 100f. I put in a blank card the original file diskboot.bin from the 100f renamed as ps.fi2. Then I do the update firmware process and the camera becomes a 100f camera.
No. Practically speaking, it's not possible to update the firmware unless you have an actual canon firmware update. A firmware dump (usually called PRIMARY.BIN) cannot be used by itself. A CHDK file (DISKBOOT.BIN or PS.FI2 from CHDK download) definitely cannot be used, since it only contains CHDK code, not canon code.

CHDK PS.FI2 looks to the camera like a firmware update, but it doesn't actually modify the firmware. It just runs once, and it only contains CHDK, not canon firmware. It doesn't have any code to actually flash a new firmware.

In theory it should be possible to write your own firmware updater, and use a dump from a different camera to update (assuming the canon firmware update wasn't due to mid production hardware changes, which isn't completely certain). In practice this would be much more work than porting CHDK to a new firmware revision, and the risk of destroying your camera would be very high. If you are a programmer, porting a firmware sub is fairly straightforward: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_support_of_a_new_firmware_version

If you are not a programmer, you are definitely not going to successfully flash your camera without a canon firmware update.

« Reply #45 on: 31 / January / 2011, 05:15:27 »
Hi - trying the a495-100f-0.9.9-957-full_beta2.zip on an A495 . . . . . . readme.txt says "Press your "Set" button, hold it down. While holding down your "Set" button press your "Display" button."
As there is no "Display" button on the A495, can anyone please advise what key sequence is used to load CHDK?
( I have the files installed as shown:
Directory of H:\

31/01/2011  03:10 PM    <DIR>          DCIM
31/01/2011  07:58 PM    <DIR>          MISC
31/01/2011  06:57 PM    <DIR>          CHDK
18/10/2010  10:10 AM               450 changelog.txt
29/10/2010  04:23 PM           253,409 DISKBOOT.BIN
29/10/2010  04:23 PM            14,097 readme.txt
18/10/2010  10:10 AM               107 vers.req
)

« Reply #46 on: 31 / January / 2011, 11:15:43 »
I'm having the same problem as Goosefeather + some other problems.

First of all, I can't get firmware version by starting camera in Playback Mode and then pressing Set and Display down.  I've tried every key combination (also for A480, nothing works).
You can get the firmwareversion via a different method: Cameraversion1.3 works fine.
I found out I had firmware version 100F.
If anyone know the exact way to see the firmware version via menu keys, please let me know.

Now updating the firmware seems to be a problem.
The Firware update option is not available in any of the menu's.

Can someone tell me how I can reach to the Firmware update menu?

« Reply #47 on: 31 / January / 2011, 16:31:44 »
My  problem is different

I still have 100e(Please if anybody has a solution to get a firmware update to 100f tell me) so I'm trying to make a dump of my firmware.

I use cardtricks on a sd card (1gb). I make a dryos udump disk. I lock the card and put it on the camera. I start the camera pushing the button play and the camera starts as normal saying: "no image" card locked. I suppose I did something wrong, What?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #48 on: 31 / January / 2011, 17:13:08 »
I use cardtricks on a sd card (1gb). I make a dryos udump disk. I lock the card and put it on the camera. I start the camera pushing the button play and the camera starts as normal saying: "no image" card locked. I suppose I did something wrong, What?
You should use the canon basic dumper. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Scripts/Dumper

For information on how to prepare the card and run the script, see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Card_Setu http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic

« Reply #49 on: 01 / February / 2011, 04:43:30 »
Hi - trying the a495-100f-0.9.9-957-full_beta2.zip on an A495 . . . . . .

Thanks reyalp, - have made SD card bootable (cardtricks) and can now access scripts.

Just have to work out how to use them now :)