Super Slow Motion Movie - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Super Slow Motion Movie

• 6 Replies
Super Slow Motion Movie
« on: 20 / August / 2010, 08:31:05 »
Advertisements
Hi All,

Yesterday Canon released some new digital cameras and among them there is the PowerShot SD4500 IS (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sd4500_is#Overview) which shots at 240 FPS for Super Slow Motion Movie. Since it uses the DiGiC4 processor I wonder if it is possible to unleash this feature via CHDK.

Regards,
Rogerio
SX200 IS - 1.00D

Offline PS

• A610 1.00f
Re: Super Slow Motion Movie
« Reply #1 on: 20 / August / 2010, 11:53:56 »
It doesn't change the fact that camera must be able to capture 240 shots/sec.

« Reply #2 on: 20 / August / 2010, 12:31:25 »
Hi PS,

Does it depend only on the DiGiC processor speed or does it have other physical limitations?
Maybe the question should be "Is it possible to make CHDK overrides the camera default movie mode specifications and make the DiGiC4 based cameras capture more than 30 FPS like in the new PS SD4500 IS?"
SX200 IS - 1.00D

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 20 / August / 2010, 13:07:55 »
Hi PS,

Does it depend only on the DiGiC processor speed or does it have other physical limitations?
It depends on other hardware, at a minimum the sensor: "10.0 Megapixel back-illuminated CMOS"
CCD cameras will not have the same capability. It may depend on other hardware as well, and keep in mind that DIGIC is a marketing name (like Pentium or Athlon): It's not a given that all "DIGIC IV" are have the same clock speeds and features.

Finally, if earlier cameras had the capability with no additional hardware cost, Canon would have to be rather stupid not to include it, since their competition has been successfully using this feature as a selling point for quite a while.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 20 / August / 2010, 15:05:07 »
Hi Reyalp,

Thanks for your thoughts. The fact that not all DIGIC IV processors are equal is a little surprise for me, I really thought they were. This may justify the fact that Canon has not included this feature in earlier models.
SX200 IS - 1.00D

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 20 / August / 2010, 16:07:17 »
Hi Reyalp,

Thanks for your thoughts. The fact that not all DIGIC IV processors are equal is a little surprise for me, I really thought they were.
Please understand I said they are not necessarily equal. The main factor here, which we know for certain, is the sensor is different, and these sorts of high frame rates are usually associated with CMOS sensors. The sensor is not part of DIGIC.

Regarding DIGIC, I don't know for a fact one way or the other. I wouldn't be surprised if Canon "bins" them like CPU manufactures do. It would also make sense to have different clock speeds because of thermal limits (A DSLR has a lot more cooling capacity than an ixus). Variants with less cache, different bus speeds etc are also all plausible.

ISTR Canon has said the DIGIC in P&S cameras is the "same" as what is in DSLRs, but what this means in marketing speak isn't necessarily what it means to an engineer ;)

In my understanding, available readout modes are ultimately limited by the sensor (although there could be secondary limits like bus speed, RAM speed etc.) So even CCD cameras with the same DIGIC chip can have different hardware limits for frame rate and resolution.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 20 / August / 2010, 17:44:27 »
Thanks for the clarifications Reyalp.
It is pretty clear now that it is not only a matter of activate some hidden feature. The hardware plays an important role in this case.
SX200 IS - 1.00D