A3000IS poring thread - page 14 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A3000IS poring thread

• 142 Replies
Re: A3000IS poring thread
« Reply #130 on: 14 / January / 2019, 13:40:15 »
Advertisements
@waterwingz & @reyalp

I don't get the extra pulse on the Shot Sync LED between shots outdoors with overcast sunlight. Here is the log file.

I now wonder if this will be a factor when the camera body is inside the fuselage of the fixed-wing; which is dark when it is enclosed.

I know the A3000 is an old low end camera. However, they were freely available to us and the grad students can use them in their low budget research project.  I just purchased a S100 from another colleague since they were not using it anymore. We will probably use the S100 once we have done several test flights with the A3000s.

Anyway, thank you guys for looking into this and your great support.
« Last Edit: 14 / January / 2019, 14:01:41 by cagiva »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #131 on: 14 / January / 2019, 16:20:35 »
I tried again this morning with sunlight; which seems to be a factor.  With CHDK running (SD card locked) and no script activated, the shooting in continuous mode manually takes ~1s.  Then I ran your latest hooktest script and the the shooting seems to be now faster in continuous and single shot mode as well (logs attached).
That's useful information.

What ISO setting? High ISOs sometimes additional processing, but generally less than 1s.

I assume flash is disabled? If not, that can decrease shooting rate a lot.

What kind of shutter speed are you getting when it's slow? Canon auto can potentially go up to 1s (which would bring the expected continuous rate down to 2+ sec per shot) but this shouldn't be the cause of the hook test timeout because the part that timed out doesn't include the exposure time. Dark frame subtraction could potentially double exposure time, but generally wouldn't be triggered at 1s, and again shouldn't counted against the hooktest timeout that was failing.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #132 on: 14 / January / 2019, 16:49:36 »
What ISO setting?

Canon ISO setting is set to Auto

I assume flash is disabled?

Yes, it is.

What kind of shutter speed are you getting when it's slow?

Between 3-5 seconds.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #133 on: 14 / January / 2019, 17:27:47 »
Between 3-5 seconds.
Are you sure about this? On most of these cameras, AE modes usually only go to 1s. You can check the value recorded in exif, or post an example image here.

Auto ISO can probably explain at least some of the issue. If you want to avoid the slowdown, you can manually set the ISO at different levels and see where it slows down (likely 400 or 800) but that may not be a good trade if it results in longer exposures.

« Reply #134 on: 14 / January / 2019, 18:26:26 »
You can check the value recorded in exif, or post an example image here.

Unfortunately I cannot attach the last two images produced by kap_uav script due to the file size constraint in this forum. However, attached is the log file showing more than a second under poor lighting condition and two screenshot showing the basic Exif info from those 2 last photos.

Auto ISO can probably explain at least some of the issue. If you want to avoid the slowdown, you can manually set the ISO at different levels and see where it slows down (likely 400 or 800) but that may not be a good trade if it results in longer exposures.

According to what is displayed in the LCD screen and in the exif data, the kap_uav script seems to set the ISO value to 640 in run-time.

« Reply #135 on: 14 / January / 2019, 22:41:18 »
I don't get the extra pulse on the Shot Sync LED between shots outdoors with overcast sunlight. Here is the log file.
From all the previous posts, it looks like the A3000 is just really slow at capturing images and saving them to the SD card.  Especially in low light situations.

So try increasing the timeout from 2 seconds to 10 seconds by changing line 831 in the script from

Code: [Select]
wait_timeout(hook_shoot.is_ready, true, 2000, 10, "timeout on hook_shoot.is_ready")  -- wait until the hook is reached
to

Code: [Select]
wait_timeout(hook_shoot.is_ready, true, 10000, 10, "timeout on hook_shoot.is_ready")  -- wait until the hook is reached
I now wonder if this will be a factor when the camera body is inside the fuselage of the fixed-wing; which is dark when it is enclosed.
Ummm ... CHDK does not really know or care if the camera body is in the dark or brightly lit.  It only cares about the amount of light coming through the lens.  8)

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #136 on: 14 / January / 2019, 23:12:22 »
So try increasing the timeout from 2 seconds to 10 seconds by changing line 831 in the script from

I'll try tomorrow your suggested code change and report back here with the log file.

CHDK does not really know or care if the camera body is in the dark or brightly lit.  It only cares about the amount of light coming through the lens.

Thanks for validating that.

Maybe this is a question for @srsa_4c or @reyalp, but I was wondering if it'd be possible to add code into the CHDK api to parse MAVLink messages so your LUA script can geotag the photos after it receives the trigger message from the flight controller; which also comes with 'GLOBAL_POSITION_INT' information.

I just got a Canon S100; which has GPS.  Unfortunately, it has an offset between 5-10 meters (depending on the number of GPS satellites locked). We're using RTK in our vehicles; which narrows the GEO location down to only ~10cm error and it will be great if we could feed that information to the LUA script.  Just a thought/dream.

A3000IS poring thread
« Reply #137 on: 14 / January / 2019, 23:43:53 »
but I was wondering if it'd be possible to add code into the CHDK api to parse MAVLink messages so your LUA script can geotag the photos after it receives the trigger message from the flight controller; which also comes with 'GLOBAL_POSITION_INT' information.
It is possible to pass information from a USB master host device to a Lua script running on a CHDK enabled Powershot.  The same script can also embed that information into the EXIF info of the current image. The tricky bit is not the Lua script in the camera, it's programming the host device to originate the transmission to the camera.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #138 on: 15 / January / 2019, 00:01:51 »
The tricky bit is not the Lua script in the camera, it's programming the host device to originate the transmission to the camera.

That should be feasible using a FDTI adapter between the FCU and the Camera, as shown in the pic below.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #139 on: 15 / January / 2019, 02:11:17 »
That should be feasible using a FDTI adapter between the FCU and the Camera, as shown in the pic below.
I don't think that addresses the problem waterwingz is describing. Communicating with CHDK requires a full USB and PTP stack and a custom client implementing the CHDK extensions running on the host. The existing clients generally require the host be something like a PC or raspberry pi.

Logging positions and time of shots and matching them up with images after the fact is probably an easier approach. You can use the synctime module in chdkptp  (from a pc or something) to sync camera clocks with < sec precision on the ground, though presumably GPS enabled cams shouldn't need it.