No firmware update option in playback menu - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

No firmware update option in playback menu

• 4 Replies
No firmware update option in playback menu
« on: 03 / September / 2010, 05:51:26 »
Advertisements
Hello
Just purchased a Canon SX20IS and looking to improve camera versatility. However after extracting all the files required to a 2GB Sd card I found that there is no Firmware update otion un the menue so cannot get CHDK up and running. Help please or is this simply a new ploy by Canon to prevent updating of firmware.
Thanks

Doug

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: No firmware update option in playback menu
« Reply #1 on: 03 / September / 2010, 05:59:57 »
Hello & welcome, Doug !

there is no Firmware update otion un the menue so cannot get CHDK up and running.

The SX20 CHDK DOES NOT support the manual loading method through the firmware update mechanism !
--> start CHDK from a CHDK-bootable SD card

« Reply #2 on: 03 / September / 2010, 16:17:03 »
Thanks but even locking the card does not boot up CHDK. All advice seems to tell me to format card at FAT16 but computer and camera formats this at FAT32. Will need to keep trying but currntly having little success.
Doug
« Last Edit: 03 / September / 2010, 16:18:35 by Queensmessenger »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 03 / September / 2010, 16:27:17 »
Thanks but even locking the card does not boot up CHDK. All advice seems to tell me to format card at FAT16 but computer and camera formats this at FAT32. Will need to keep trying but currntly having little success.
Doug
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 03 / September / 2010, 18:06:20 »
Thanks
Got it using Card Tricks to format FAT16 then loading files onto card. All works fine with easy option of switching back to normal menu simly by pressing Print Button.
Great improvement in versatility.
Doug