memory card named chdk worries chdk - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

memory card named chdk worries chdk

• 10 Replies
memory card named chdk worries chdk
« on: 10 / September / 2010, 15:07:58 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I just prepared a new memory card by copying over the chdk files, and set the volume label of the card to CHDK (I hadn't used this name before). Then, with this card in the cam and CHDK started via firmware update, it gave me a headache. The settings were gone, and copying CCHDK.CFG anew din't change anything, and other things where strange. Then, in the file browser, I saw that the directory CHDK appeared as a file of length 0. Ok, gave it a try and set the volume label to something else, and things where fine.

Thought it might be worth mentioning, in case someone else wants to name his card CHDK...

Hans

Offline pixeldoc2000

• IXUS900Ti 1.00C, IXUS300HS 1.00D
    • pixel::doc homebase
Re: memory card named chdk worries chdk
« Reply #1 on: 14 / September / 2010, 04:28:41 »
I just prepared a new memory card by copying over the chdk files, and set the volume label of the card to CHDK (I hadn't used this name before). Then, with this card in the cam and CHDK started via firmware update, it gave me a headache. The settings were gone, and copying CCHDK.CFG anew din't change anything, and other things where strange. Then, in the file browser, I saw that the directory CHDK appeared as a file of length 0. Ok, gave it a try and set the volume label to something else, and things where fine.

Thought it might be worth mentioning, in case someone else wants to name his card CHDK...
AFAIK CHDK or Camera do not care about volume label. Must be some other "problem".

Which Camera are you talking about?

« Reply #2 on: 15 / September / 2010, 13:22:56 »
AFAIK CHDK or Camera do not care about volume label. Must be some other "problem".
Which Camera are you talking about?

It is a A590IS with firmware 1.01b.

Well, just now I've tried it again, changed the volume label to CHDK, and nothing happened: everything is ok.
But the effect definately was there, I had tried it twice.

I hate such things.

Hans

« Reply #3 on: 15 / September / 2010, 14:10:59 »
I've just reproduced the problem.

What I did:

- Format the SD-card (on Vista Home Premium) to FAT
- Set the Volume-Label of the card to CHDK
- Copy the CHDK-Stuff (0.9.9-938) onto the card
- dismount the card

Then I place the card in the camera, and start CHDK via firmware update.
And there it is, the problem: the directory CHDK seems unreachable, and in the file browser it shows up as a file of zero length.

Changing the volume label (on Windows) to anything else solves the problem, and renamimg it to CHDK brings it back.

Formatting the card in the camera produces the same result.

Hans

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 15 / September / 2010, 15:13:52 »
Looks like an issue of the SD card...is it reproduceable with another card ?

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #5 on: 15 / September / 2010, 16:30:41 »
Hi guys !

I can confirm this behaviour on ixus 70: just renamed card as 'CHDK' and presto ... CHDK folder shows up in file browser as file with length 0 ... note that ixus70 is a VxWorks cam, so this is not just a DryOS issue.

Considering that CHDK just uses Canon supplied routines to access the file system, the thought just struck me
that in that case the camera without CHDK might also show strange behaviour if you used 'DCIM' as the
volume name ... just tried & confirmed, changed name to DCIM, start cam -> Canon says "No Image !"
(note: my DCIM/100CANON/ folder was holding 239 images)

Anyway, this wouldn't be the first difference between DCF ("Design rule for Camera File system") and FAT/FAT32,
remember the recent change of CHDK/SCRIPTS/EXAMPLES to CHDK/SCRIPTS/EXAM ?

So, for the time being, the rule seems to be:

* Do NOT give your card the same name as any of the folders in the cards' root, or that folder will become inaccessible

On the other hand, I can't see what's wrong with CANON_DC as volume name  ;)

Excellent catch Hans !

wim

[edit: tried to formulate it a bit better]

edit2: Mmmmh... maybe useful to create 'protected' folders on the card ?

« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2010, 17:05:10 by whim »

Online reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 15 / September / 2010, 17:58:56 »
The "volume label" is a FAT entry, so this isn't entirely surprising. Whether it breaks may depend which one is first.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 16 / September / 2010, 13:35:13 »
The "volume label" is a FAT entry, so this isn't entirely surprising. Whether it breaks may depend which one is first.

Thats it!

In my reply to pixeldoc2000 I had mentioned, that the problem would not show up at that point of time, when I renamed the card. Now I repeated the complete procedure with the steps in this order:

1. format, no volume label
2. create the folder DCIM
3. set volume label to DCIM

This card put in the cam, there is no problem!
Whereas the problem is there, when I switch the order of steps 2 and 3.

Hans

« Reply #8 on: 16 / September / 2010, 13:37:18 »
Looks like an issue of the SD card...is it reproduceable with another card ?

Yes. It is the same with both of my 2 cards. But see my reply to reyalp.

Hans

« Reply #9 on: 16 / September / 2010, 14:28:34 »
* Do NOT give your card the same name as any of the folders in the cards' root, or that folder will become inaccessible

Now it seems that it makes a difference, if the volume label is created first, or the folder. See my reply to reyalp.

On the other hand, I can't see what's wrong with CANON_DC as volume name  ;)

Thats right. I simply had the choice, and I took it. Was it a snakes voice, which told me to?

Hans