Best settings R/C Helicopter - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Best settings R/C Helicopter

• 1 Replies
Best settings R/C Helicopter
« on: 10 / September / 2010, 21:38:19 »
Advertisements
I'm a CHDK rookie.  I was hoping someone could share the best settings to use while my SD1100is is hanging from my R/C heli.

I'm always operating in bright day light but the heli is constanly moving and has high frequency vibrations.  Oh.  I'm a photography rookie too.  So I kinda have no idea what I'm doing.   :-[
I have one of the interval-meter scripts working just fine to snap shots every 2 seconds.  I just need help with the optimal shutter speeds, etc for the heli.

Hope someone can help this humble rookie.

Thanks in advance

Re: Best settings R/C Helicopter
« Reply #1 on: 14 / September / 2010, 14:51:09 »
If you are doing aerial filming you would want to set the focus to infinity (mountain icon).

Also, it is a good idea to have a shutter speed higher than 1/500th of a second to reduce the effect of the vibrations. The higher the better. You will need to use shutter speed overrides to achieve this. If the weather is slightly overcast you may want to raise the camera's ISO setting a bit.

When you connect the camera to the helicopter make sure to mount it against something that will act as a shock absorber and reduce some of the high frequency the vibrations like a piece of rubber. If you rigidly mount the camera to your helicopter it will directly transfer the vibrations to the camera.

If you shoot video from your camera you should look into a video stabilizing plug-in like deshaker, or smoothcam, etc..

For a table of pre-computed CHDK shutter speed overrides check out my blog:
http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/2010/06/chdk-shutter-speed-overrides-explained/
Canon SD780IS