Total number of pictures by folder/file names? - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Total number of pictures by folder/file names?

• 9 Replies
Total number of pictures by folder/file names?
« on: 22 / September / 2010, 12:28:04 »
Advertisements
Because of this fiaso, I've erased the internal memory of my SX110IS, but I'd like to know the total number of pictures taken. I've never changed the file numbering system, so it should be consistent. IIRC, the last folder was "836CANON" (I'll check when I get home later). Since the first folder is 100CANON, and the folders store 2000 images/videos (source), does this mean I've taken approximately 736*2000 or 1.472 million photos/videos?

Something seems wrong with this picture, since this calculates out to something like one picture every minute of every day since I got the camera. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks.

edit: URL formatting
« Last Edit: 22 / September / 2010, 13:52:20 by bencahill »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Total number of pictures by folder/file names?
« Reply #1 on: 22 / September / 2010, 13:22:24 »
Do a search on vers.req -> func+set on forum or wiki. JPEG numberin is not the way to keep track of shot count, it gets fooled by dozens of things.

« Reply #2 on: 22 / September / 2010, 13:54:43 »
Do a search on vers.req -> func+set on forum or wiki. JPEG numberin is not the way to keep track of shot count, it gets fooled by dozens of things.
Okay, I'll repeat what I said in my first post:

I've erased the internal memory of my SX110IS

In other words, it's like new. The only thing I have to rely on is the file count.

Can you elaborate on the "dozens of things" it gets fooled by?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #3 on: 22 / September / 2010, 14:12:33 »
Well... on my a570 I have seen it switch to a new directory before it should have (yes, it's 2000 photos normally). I believe it's always happened either during timelapse or MD use (I think, it's been quite a while). Also since file numbering can be reset, there's no way of knowing whether that's been done unless you're the first and only user of that camera. Also, if my memory doesn't fail me, there's a way to fiddle with file numbering by doing something with the file/directory names on the card (meaning it could get messed up by by accident if you use more than one SD card).

But anyway, did that params corruption of yours mess up with the vers.req accessible shot counter too? ewavr's script doesn't clear that, it only writes those three strings that you can see in the script you ran!

836 is a lot though, maybe this got corrupted with the rest of your parameters flash area?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 22 / September / 2010, 16:09:15 »
It also depends on some Canon settings, like the "File numbering (cont. / reset)" setting or things in the "Create folder" sub menu, e.g. "Auto create...".

BTW - newer Powershots creates a new folder at least after one month (IMO the SX110 is not one of them)...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 22 / September / 2010, 16:42:44 »
I've erased the internal memory of my SX110IS
It seems to me the functions ewavr gave you should have only reset a few items, but I haven't looked through the disassembly for side effects...

The total shoot count may still be valid.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 23 / September / 2010, 18:13:50 »
@all:
Sorry, what caused the original problem (linked to in the first post) was removing the CR1220 battery (accidentally). The Canon technician I emailed told me to remove the battery for 15 minutes, and I "Reset All" in the menu per reyalp's suggestion.

I figured that one of these actions wiped the picture count, but I guess it didn't.

I am the first and only user of this camera, and it has always been set at the default file settings (Continuous).

The "Total Shoot" value is currently 4131, which I suppose is the total count! - Surprising, however, since I have well over 5000 pictures from this camera, but many of them are from the "Ultra Intervalometer" that comes with CHDK.

I suppose those were not counted in the camera's memory. Does that sound correct? Thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 23 / September / 2010, 21:54:51 »
I suppose those were not counted in the camera's memory. Does that sound correct? Thanks.
Shots take should counted, whether they were triggered by a script or not. Raw and Jpeg will be counted as a single shot.

Hmm, my d10 says "total shoot" is 4... 5 after taking another picture.  I'm pretty sure I've taken rather more than that :-[
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #8 on: 24 / September / 2010, 10:57:58 »
Maybe it resets to 0 after 9999 pics? I'll check mine every once in a while to keep an eye on it.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #9 on: 24 / September / 2010, 15:51:15 »
Maybe it resets to 0 after 9999 pics? I'll check mine every once in a while to keep an eye on it.

Naeh well my a570 is somewhere above 123456 now.